Automotive Care & Detailing Discussions on washing, waxing, polishing, detailing, cleaning and maintaining the beauty of your Lexus.

Claying your car

Search this Thread

Old 05-01-04, 12:13 PM
lexusondubs
dubsonlexus

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Originally posted by SharpLS-96
No disrespect to you but that makes no sense as far as using the clay bar & wash mitt together to wash the car in ONE step. The car has to be cleaned first from any surface dirt such as road grime, bird & bug debris etc prior to claying it. After washing then comes the process of claying it.
You can also wash and then clay each body panel as you go along but that's to each ones personal preference. Using the lube while claying it is the recommended way but water & soap will work just fine as well.

Washing and claying the car is a two step process not a one step process.
Waxing is the third and final step and absolutely necessary.
1-Wash
2-Clay
3-Wax

Here is a good write up.
http://www.autopia-carcare.com/inf-clay.html
"Before using detailing clay, you must thoroughly clean and dry your car to remove any loose dirt. Direct sunlight should not fall on your car's surface, and it's best if the work area is relatively cool to prevent rapid evaporation of the clay lubricant."
ok first off they we talking about claying the car after washing when dry with the lubracator thats why i said to use under a wash mitt i hope everyone here has the common sense to wash the car before claying i have been detailing cars for 10 years so i am very familar with the process involved iam also a chemist for a automotive refinishing company I MAKE THE CHEMICALS USED TO CLEAN CARS . so i was just trying to help out a novice to do it a litte easier thats all .,....
Old 05-01-04, 01:21 PM
Xanadu350
Racer

Received 150 Likes on 109 Posts

After reading thru the archives for about an hour, I finally ordered the Zaino products, I also ordered the clay bar. This will be the first time for me using the clay bar so I am anxious to see the results also I took the advise of many here & will be using the Zaino products:

Z-3 Show Car Polish for Regular Paint (I'm getting a black SC 400 soon)
ZFX Flash Cure
Z-18 Clay Bar
Z-6 Gloss Enhancer Spray

Also bought the leather in a bottle (hope this smells like leather & not suntan lotion)

I'm nervious about using the clay bar correctly but I've read alot here in archives & I'll use lots of car wash soap as lube & not press hard so I hope it goes well.
Old 05-01-04, 02:13 PM
jfelbab

Received 59 Likes on 46 Posts

Originally posted by XanaduSC
After reading thru the archives for about an hour, I finally ordered the Zaino products, I also ordered the clay bar. This will be the first time for me using the clay bar so I am anxious to see the results also I took the advise of many here & will be using the Zaino products:

Z-3 Show Car Polish for Regular Paint (I'm getting a black SC 400 soon)
ZFX Flash Cure
Z-18 Clay Bar
Z-6 Gloss Enhancer Spray

Also bought the leather in a bottle (hope this smells like leather & not suntan lotion)

I'm nervious about using the clay bar correctly but I've read alot here in archives & I'll use lots of car wash soap as lube & not press hard so I hope it goes well.
Heres a tip on using clay. Depending on the size of the clay bay you ordered you should cut it in half or thirds. Put the unused pieces in a ziplock bag and flatten the remaining piece. If (when) you drop the clay on the ground throw it away and retrieve another piece. Use lots of lube and feel the lubed surface with your hand after claying an area to determine if the contaminant is completely removed. Clay works with a light touch. Fold and kneed the clay frequently as you move from panel to panel.

Finally, I find that clay deteriorates much more rapidly when using car wash soap as the lube. I get better results when using Quick Detailer as the lube. YMMV. If you do use car wash soap be sure it is clean and use more concentrate than normal. Don't use your old wash suds to lube. You don't want to pick up any contaminants when claying as it could easily scratch your finish.

Last edited by jfelbab; 05-01-04 at 02:15 PM.
Old 05-01-04, 02:51 PM
SharpLS-96
Lexus Champion

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally posted by lexusondubs
ok first off they we talking about claying the car after washing when dry with the lubracator thats why i said to use under a wash mitt i hope everyone here has the common sense to wash the car before claying i have been detailing cars for 10 years so i am very familar with the process involved iam also a chemist for a automotive refinishing company I MAKE THE CHEMICALS USED TO CLEAN CARS . so i was just trying to help out a novice to do it a litte easier thats all .,....

Ok, I was just clearing matters up because if you go back and read your post that's not what you said.
I understand now.
Old 05-01-04, 02:54 PM
lexusondubs
dubsonlexus

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Originally posted by SharpLS-96

Ok, I was just clearing matters up because if you go back and read your post that's not what you said.
I understand now.

thank you
Old 05-02-04, 01:12 AM
bishop977
Driver

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

i got question about claying with no clear coat. i clayed my car for the first time a month ago. when i was claying the first time it felt very rough going over the paint. it took a few passes of the clay b4 it smoothed out the paint. but when i finshed claying it was so smooth compred to when it wasn't clayed. so a month later i clayed the car again cuz i had some free time. when i went over the car with the clay it still felt rough not as bad as the first time i did it. when i clayed it the second time the clay turned brown color. is that the dirt or paint. i have a 92 black sc300 no clear coat i think. i was scared that i was removing the paint instead of the oxidation.i wasn't sure if i was removing the paint or the oxidation. is that normal? could it be severe oxidation from the last owner who might have taken good care of the paint? if so it will take a couple of clay bars to completely make it smooth? if it is oxidation how many times do i need to clay the car b4 its smooth? or should i use AIO or DACP? . i heard those will help remove some of the oxidation and containment. then clay it. do i need to clay the car every time i was the car or wax the car?

Last edited by bishop977; 05-02-04 at 01:12 AM.
Old 05-02-04, 09:36 AM
Guitarman

when i clayed it the second time the clay turned brown color. is that the dirt or paint.
Bishop, that "brown" color on the clay is the dirt and debris it's pulling out of your paint, and it's normal. If you use the proper amount of lubricant on the car when claying, you needn't worry about it removing paint, single stage or base/clear. It isn't formulated to be that kind of abrasive.

Clay will not remove oxidation, you need solvent cleaners or cutting abrasives to do that. Clay will pull out bonded contaminants and make it smooth, that's it's job. You will not "see" so much of a difference after claying as you will "feel" a difference.

You only need to clay the car as often as you feel roughness and micro "bumps" on it. If it stays smooth as glass between the next few washes, you don't need to clay. The time interval between claying will vary for each car, based on how it's stored, the environmental factors it sees, etc. etc.
You can put your hand in a sandwich baggie to magnify the contaminants on the car, this helps some people judge when they need to clay.
Old 05-06-04, 06:17 PM
Xanadu350
Racer

I plan to clay this weekend, I got the clay bar from Zaino. There are 2 clay bars in the jar.

If my car has never been clayed before (I feel alot of particles on the surface) should I use the whole bar or cut it in half and use only half the bar for the whole car? The bar looks kinda small.

I plan to use Zaino's guide on the paper they sent me, & use the soap in a spray bottle w water to lube the surface as I go with the clay bar.
Old 05-06-04, 07:08 PM
Guitarman

If my car has never been clayed before (I feel alot of particles on the surface) should I use the whole bar or cut it in half and use only half the bar for the whole car? The bar looks kinda small.
I would cut it in half at least, even if it seems small. You don't need a big piece to clay the car properly. may take a bit longer, but it will still be effective, and if you drop it, you'll have a backup or 2. Cheers.
Old 05-07-04, 06:58 PM
Xanadu350
Racer

Well thanks to all you guys for all your great info on how to clay your car. Washed my car first with Dawn, then washed off really good. Then clayed my car. Took about 2 hours, used a spray bottle with water mixed w/ car wash lube, used slightly more lube for more slicker feel.

That little yellow willie tried to get away from me 2 or 3 times but luckely never dropped it. I amazed myself, maybe I took longer but didn't want to rush it. Sprayed small areas & clayed & worked all around my entire car. After each section felt the surface & wow I was amazed, it was super slick feeling. I could actually see the grit on the bar if I really looked close. It seems the hood was the worst & front.

Did just like you all said, tore the bar in half & used half my car with half a bar & used the other half bar on the other half. So I used 1 bar for whole car. Flipped the bar alot during use.

Now I'm off the use the Zaino Z3 with the ZFX additive. Then the Z6.

I hope to provide pictures after the final results in the SC 400 forum.
Old 08-13-04, 03:57 PM
rgarjr
Lexus Champion

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I found out the clay works better when you wash your car, then dry it, and then clay the car using spray-on detailing liquid as your lube.