Automotive Care & Detailing Discussions on washing, waxing, polishing, detailing, cleaning and maintaining the beauty of your Lexus.

Claying your car

Search this Thread

Old 04-13-04, 08:03 PM
rgarjr
Lexus Champion

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Claying your car

Can you clay your car after you finish washing your car and its still wet? The water gives the clay a lot of lubrication while its wet, I would think it would be okay.
Old 04-13-04, 10:02 PM
Guitarman

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Default yessir

That's the perfect time to do it, right after the final rinse. Leave it wet, add some car shampoo to the panel you start with, keep it a bit soapy for lubrication and clay away.
Old 04-14-04, 05:15 PM
jfelbab

Received 59 Likes on 46 Posts

I notice that water causes the clay to deteriorate sooner than a lube like Quick Detail or Final Inspection. I typically wash, dry, clay, rewash,dry, clean, polish, wax or poly in that order.
Old 04-18-04, 12:42 PM
Philly#1 Lex
Lead Lap

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

What clay bar are you guys using? Or does it really matter because they all do the same job?

Philly
Old 04-18-04, 12:57 PM
jfelbab

Received 59 Likes on 46 Posts

Originally posted by Philly#1 Lex
What clay bar are you guys using? Or does it really matter because they all do the same job?

Philly
I use Meguiar's C2000.

I read where there are different grades of clay which have differing cutting characteristics.
Old 04-18-04, 01:37 PM
Guitarman

I have a clay called "Wonderbar" that's amazing, but difficult to obtain it seems. It was given to me to try out a couple years ago at a big northeast car meet, and I can't find the local distributor online etc. I'm just about out of it. I use it only on really bad cars that have a lot of contaminants, and I use either Eagle 1 or Mother's, or Zaino clay on the rest. They all work well.

The Wonderbar clay Is a very taffy-like sticky clay, bright yellow in color and cuts easily through overspray etc. Probably too aggressive for the average Joe though. I need to mail the distributor or try to get some more when I'm in Pa. in June.

The name of the company is Alfer distributing co. in Pennsylvania, FWIW.

Last edited by Guitarman; 04-19-04 at 05:32 PM.
Old 04-19-04, 04:58 AM
TLW
Lexus Fanatic

i found this

but its not yellow like you said but is this the same stuff

http://www.partscomponents.com/page_b.htm

its number 11

let me know

thanks

did some more searching and found this also

http://detailking.goemerchant7.com/i...ExpandedDepts=

ok little more searching and i found the one you were using and the place is in your neck of the woods Venice FLorida

http://www.msitrt.com/PolishGlaze.htm

ok update its cost $24.95

Last edited by T.L.W.; 04-19-04 at 05:39 AM.
Old 04-19-04, 02:51 PM
Guitarman

Nice work TLW, I'm not sure if any of it is made by the same company or not, but given the name I guess there's no copyright protection on the name, which is weird (if it's not the same company). The last example sounds like the product I have since the color is correct, although the container lable is a bit different, they may have updated it from what I have. It is a VERY good product. The fact I can get it in Florida is fantastic (except for the fact I'll have to pay sales tax + shipping, oh well).

Thanks again for searching, I Googled it and couldn't come up with half that much info. Guess I have to bone up on my web saavy now.
Old 04-19-04, 04:30 PM
TLW
Lexus Fanatic

Originally posted by Guitarman
Nice work TLW, I'm not sure if any of it is made by the same company or not, but given the name I guess there's no copyright protection on the name, which is weird (if it's not the same company). The last example sounds like the product I have since the color is correct, although the container lable is a bit different, they may have updated it from what I have. It is a VERY good product. The fact I can get it in Florida is fantastic (except for the fact I'll have to pay sales tax + shipping, oh well).

Thanks again for searching, I Googled it and couldn't come up with half that much info. Guess I have to bone up on my web saavy now.
thanks when i googled it i only got the first one

so i *************** it and it gave me the other ones

i bought some and i was wondering ............you said that its probably too aggresive

what do you mean by too aggresive ? will i damage my paint (spectra blue)

also i was going to buy zaino this week and did some searching and a member i think "genearch"

said that on darker cars one grand was better .... do you have info on onegrand or personal expierence

-johnny-

Last edited by T.L.W.; 04-19-04 at 04:32 PM.
Old 04-19-04, 05:19 PM
Guitarman

Well, I thought that due to it's unusual "stickiness" and firmness (fine grit clays are usually relatively soft) vs. the others, but the container I have states no such grading - so it was just a guess based on what it does and its consistency over the consumer brands. But according to that link it's their "fine" grade, which means it's less aggressive than their purple clay, so you'll be fine. I have never had any issues or scratching using it, but...I have been claying a long time too.

I think you'll find it very effective. It's certainly not cheap though, so I guess it follows that you get what you pay for. Make sure you cut it into smaller pieces so you have have plenty of spares in case you drop a piece. It'll last you a year or 2 that way, using occasionally.

When you get it, let us know if it is indeed very "taffy" like and sticky, because that would affirm that it is the same product I have. Thanks again.

Last edited by Guitarman; 04-19-04 at 05:47 PM.
Old 04-19-04, 05:26 PM
Guitarman

Sorry, forgot the "One Grand" question...

No, I haven't used that product, so unfortunately can't help you there. Hopefully someone else here has.

FWIW, I have applied Pinnacle Souveran carnauba over the Zaino and didn't notice a discernable difference. Cheers.
Old 04-24-04, 10:29 PM
lexusondubs
dubsonlexus

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

OK never use a clay bar after you wash your car you are supposed to use the clay {flatten it out} then use it under a wash mitt while your washing the car for maximum lubrication my sugesstion for you is get a light clay bar {grit} you are probaly only removing fallout anyways and a heavy clay bar is not needed also remember once you clay your car you must wax afterwards hope i helped............shawn
Old 04-28-04, 04:52 PM
mink92890
Lead Lap

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

can u only buy it on the internet... or can u buy it in a local store like target, etc
Old 04-29-04, 04:41 PM
lexusondubs
dubsonlexus

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Originally posted by mink92890
can u only buy it on the internet... or can u buy it in a local store like target, etc
i have acess to the professional clay bars they run 25.00 but you can do up to 5 cars with one !!!
Old 05-01-04, 09:35 AM
SharpLS-96
Lexus Champion

Originally posted by lexusondubs
OK never use a clay bar after you wash your car you are supposed to use the clay {flatten it out} then use it under a wash mitt while your washing the car for maximum lubrication my sugesstion for you is get a light clay bar {grit} you are probaly only removing fallout anyways and a heavy clay bar is not needed also remember once you clay your car you must wax afterwards hope i helped............shawn

No disrespect to you but that makes no sense as far as using the clay bar & wash mitt together to wash the car in ONE step. The car has to be cleaned first from any surface dirt such as road grime, bird & bug debris etc prior to claying it. After washing then comes the process of claying it.
You can also wash and then clay each body panel as you go along but that's to each ones personal preference. Using the lube while claying it is the recommended way but water & soap will work just fine as well.

Washing and claying the car is a two step process not a one step process.
Waxing is the third and final step and absolutely necessary.
1-Wash
2-Clay
3-Wax

Here is a good write up.
http://www.autopia-carcare.com/inf-clay.html
"Before using detailing clay, you must thoroughly clean and dry your car to remove any loose dirt. Direct sunlight should not fall on your car's surface, and it's best if the work area is relatively cool to prevent rapid evaporation of the clay lubricant."

Last edited by SharpLS-96; 05-01-04 at 10:14 AM.

Quick Reply: Claying your car