Automotive Care & Detailing Discussions on washing, waxing, polishing, detailing, cleaning and maintaining the beauty of your Lexus.

Paintless scratch removal

Search this Thread

Old 04-15-04, 07:20 PM
chrisleX
Pole Position

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Paintless scratch removal

i had a small scratch on the rear door, you can see a white scratch and even feel it ! i went to the dealer - one of the service guy came with a bottle with clear liquid, applied it twice with a cloth and ... no more scratch !!!!
does anybody know what kind of solution was that ? thx.
Old 04-16-04, 05:21 AM
mink92890
Lead Lap

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Did he charge anything... I have a lot of scratches like that on my car... What color is ur car... Mine is Black
Old 04-16-04, 09:00 AM
Guitarman

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Default No magic involved FWIW

Did the scratch feel deep or raised?

If the "scratch" or mark was ON the paint, rather than IN the paint, then what he did was use a solvent to remove it. Any paint cleaner will do this, as well as 3M Prepsol etc.
Remember those infomercials on GS 27 scratch remover? They show the people just wiping that stuff on a scratch etc. and it coming out completely? Well, anyone can do that with something that will transfer color to the paint yet is not sharp enough to scratch it, ( called "chalking" )and solvent or any abrasive will easily remove that, like a scuff from another car's bumper etc. Easy.

But you can't change the laws of physics; once you cut into paint and scratch it, the only way to remove it is to remove the paint in that surrounding area to BELOW the level of the offending scratch or mark. You also have to hope you HAVE enough paint under the mark to accomplish this.

There is no product out there other than abrasives that will safely remove cured urethane enamel by melting it away, Glad it was an easy fix for you though, Cheers.

Last edited by Guitarman; 04-16-04 at 09:01 AM.