Automotive Care & Detailing Discussions on washing, waxing, polishing, detailing, cleaning and maintaining the beauty of your Lexus.

Repainted Black Onyx when can I clay and Zaino??

Search this Thread

Old 04-28-04, 07:05 PM
toy4two
Lexus Champion

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Repainted Black Onyx when can I clay and Zaino??

I just got my RX back from the body shop. They applied some good PPG paint and I don't know how long I have to wait before I can clay and Zaino it?
Old 04-28-04, 07:35 PM
Guitarman

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Well, the best advice anyone can give is-simply ask THEM, they know what they did and what they used. Too many variables involved. A lot of shops will bake them to speed up the chemical cure, so that info is crucial. If they didn't bake, it will be a longer time window than if they did.

I cannot really tell you absolutes, but generally; If they baked it, a week should be fine with urethane enamels ( I know the owner of a top body shop so this is what he tells me ) if they DID NOT bake it, then at least 30 days. A few weeks longer wouldn't hurt either. Why risk dulling. Just give them a call and get the real skinny.

You can use a body shop safe glaze ( 3M Imperial Hand Glaze-Meguiar's #7) on it in the meantime. Not much protection, but something at least. Rain will wash that away fast though, so reapply it if you wash the car or get in a downpour.