Automotive Care & Detailing Discussions on washing, waxing, polishing, detailing, cleaning and maintaining the beauty of your Lexus.

poilished lips

Search this Thread

Old 05-04-04, 01:35 PM
johnee78
Lexus Champion

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally posted by mrshabo
yes i believe these rims come clearcoated.
Then that polish does a hell of a job...Could you post a pic of the product or maybe a link to it???
Old 05-04-04, 01:40 PM
mrshabo
Lexus Test Driver

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

i found this link on the internet http://www.acehardware.com/product/i...ductId=1420324

it cost me like 5 bucks at r & s.
Old 05-04-04, 01:52 PM
johnee78
Lexus Champion

Exclamation

thanks for the link.I wanted to know if your ever used never dull on your wheels??Because if you did then there is no way possible that you have a clearcoated lip..I just want to make sure that you have a clearcoated or not..
Old 05-04-04, 01:55 PM
mrshabo
Lexus Test Driver

i haven't used the never dull on my rim. my friend used it on his rim THEN tried the blue magic on another rim. that is how come i'm able to say the blue magic works a lot better. never dull cleans the rim but it doesn't bring back the mirror like shine. it actually made it look more dull lol.
Old 05-04-04, 02:04 PM
johnee78
Lexus Champion

then his wheel was clearcoated and now he probably has to have his wheel re-polished to remove the clear that he ruined with the never dull.You understand why it's important to know if you have clearcoated lips??Never dull is for a metal that is bare and not coated with anything...
Old 05-04-04, 02:06 PM
Guitarman

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Guys, the way to tell if the rim is cleared or not is to use a white cotton rag and any light polish or cleaner wax, you can even use NevR Dull, and rub a little on it. If the rag turn black, that's a reaction with METAL. If the rag stays fairly clean, with just a little dirt, but DOESN'T turn black, it's clearcoated.

Hope that helps.
Old 05-04-04, 02:11 PM
johnee78
Lexus Champion

Default hey guitarman...

So your recomendation would be to use a polish or wax that is polymer based for clearcoated wheels in order to keep it shiny??It should also be easier to maintain I assume??
Old 05-04-04, 02:12 PM
mrshabo
Lexus Test Driver

mine is clearcoated. when i use the polish on the rims it doesn't turn black unless it's from the dirt on the lip.
Old 05-04-04, 02:34 PM
Guitarman

So your recomendation would be to use a polish or wax that is polymer based for clearcoated wheels in order to keep it shiny??It should also be easier to maintain I assume??
If the wheel is UN-coated metal, use something like NevR Dull or Mother's aluminum polish, then use a polymer sealant (Zaino, Klasee SG, Blackfire, Meguiar's NXT etc.) on it to protect and make them easier to clean. The sealant will withstand up to ~400 degrees. Wax will melt at 165 degrees or LESS. Brakes generate a lot of extra heat. Skip wax, use a sealant. (if you must apply a wax, do it weekly because it won't last long)

If the wheels are clearcoated; Use a paint polish of the required abrasiveness to bring up the clarity . This means generally a fine polish (AKA swirl remover, or perhaps a medium grit polish- something like 3M Finesse-It II Finishing Material, Meguiar's Scratch X, Or Kit Scratch Out etc.) Then use the polymer sealant as mentioned for protection.

If you have clearcoated wheels, and they are in good shape, you probably only need to wash them with car wash shampoo, dry, and apply the sealant. Done. Do this regulary, and don't allow the brake dust to take hold, and you will have it fairly easy.

Once you neglect wheels, the brake dust (especially from metallic brake pads) will re-polymerize INTO to clear finish via the heat factor (the metallic particles from the brake pads fly off and sinter into the clear) finish, making it part OF the paint), or in the case of bare metal wheels (aluminum, polished steel etc.) it will cause corrosion on the surface.
The main thing is a weekly wash ( at minimum) with gentle detergents. No acid cleaners, which MANY name brand wheel cleaners are. (hydroflouric, phosphoric acid (2%-3%). The idea is to maintain wheels and keep them from getting to a point you HAVE to use a strong cleaner like that, because things can go wrong if you don't follow the manufacturers directions explicitly. I know a guy that RUINED 18" BMW M wheels with Armor All Quicksilver wheel cleaner a ferw years back. He sprayed it on warm wheels and walked in the house for 20 minutes. Came out, and his nice polished wheels were destroyed beyond any DIY repair. Yellow etched runs and corroded.

You can't leave acids like that on for more than seconds, and you can't apply to anything but COLD wheels. If you quick detail the brake dust off daily, or every other day, and wash at least 1x a week, you'll never need a strong cleaner and the risks that goes along with them. Good luck!

Last edited by Guitarman; 05-04-04 at 04:39 PM.
Old 05-04-04, 02:53 PM
johnee78
Lexus Champion

Originally posted by Guitarman
If the wheel is UN-coated metal, use something like NevR Dull or Mother's aluminum polish, then use a polymer sealant (Zaino, Klasee SG, Blackfire, Meguiar's NXT etc.) on it to protect and make them easier to clean. The sealant will withstand up to ~400 degrees. Wax will melt at 165 degrees or LESS. Brakes generate a lot of extra heat. Skip wax, use a sealant.

If the wheels are clearcoated; Use a paint polish of the required abrasiveness to bring up the clarity . This means generally a fine polish (AKA swirl remover, or perhaps a medium grit polish- something like 3M Finesse-It II Finishing Material, Meguiar's Scratch X, Or Kit Scratch Out etc.) Then use the polymer sealant as mentioned for protection.

If you have clearcoated wheels, and they are in good shape, you probably only need to wash them with car wash shampoo, dry, and apply the sealant. Done. Do this regulary, and don't allow the brake dust to take hold, and you will have it fairly easy.

Once you neglect wheels, the brake dust (especially from metallic brake pads) will re-polymerize INTO to clear finish via the heat factor, or in the case of bare metal wheels (aluminum, polished steel etc.) it will cause corrosion on the surface.
The main thing is a weekly wash ( at minimum) with gentle detergents. No acid cleaners, which MANY name brand wheel cleaners are. (hydroflouric, phosphoric acid (2%-3%). The idea is to maintain wheels and keep them from getting to a point you HAVE to use a strong cleaner like that, because things can go wrong if you don't follow the manufacturers directions explicitly. I know a guy that RUINED 18" BMW M wheels with Armor All Quicksilver wheel cleaner a ferw years back. He sprayed it on warm wheels and walked in the house for 20 minutes. Came out, and his nice polished wheels were destroyed beyond any DIY repair. Yellow etched runs and corroded.

You can't leave acids like that on for more than seconds, and you can't apply to anything but COLD wheels. If you quick detail the brake dust off daily, or every other day, and wash at least 1x a week, you'll never need a strong cleanerand the risk that goes along with them. Good luck!
Thanks guitarman, So my new wheels are CC and I would like to apply ZAINO to my wheels, will that keep my wheels protected???Thanks again..
Old 05-04-04, 02:55 PM
D2-AUTOSPORT
Former Sponsor

Hey guys since this thread now includes non-clearcoated polished wheels, I thought I'd chime in. I got my wheels about 2weeks ago, and shined them up nice with Mothers Billet (white cream) polish, this stuff works wonders on my exhaust and its very soft so i used it on the wheels, they came out very nice. Then after I mounted them I tried some Meguairs Billet/Polished wheel polish (white cream again) and this worked pretty well also, goes on, comes off very easily.

I went down for the meet and got stuck driving in the rain for 3days (180mile highway trek home included), so my wheels were dirty as fack. I cleaned them with soap and water and they look nice, but i noticed some water spots and slight haze in some spots. I cleaned them back up to brand new using the Meguairs but it took me 3hrs!!! (I clean in between each spoke and all)

I ordered a German (i think) polish called Wenol. it is a 3step process (cleaner, sealer, wax) It cost me 51bucks shipped overnight. I did each wheel with the 3steps and although it took me another 3hrs () the results were amazing!!! I swear my wheels had more luster than when I got them!! They really looked like chrome! Also the wax (final step) gave it a coating and I notice that less dirt builds up on the rear lip when i drive, and that the finish is much smoother, which helps in wiping off brake dust. For any non clearcoated guys get Wenol, just google it, I ordered from some yahoo store place, it was 27 bucks before shipping.

Red Tube- cleaner
Blue Tube- sealer
Pink Tube- wax

The blue and Pink tubes are clearcoat safe I believe
Old 05-04-04, 04:36 PM
Guitarman

D 's info is sound. Wenol is good stuff.

johnee78, a couple coats of Zaino will really help protect them, go for it. Reapply every couple months to be safe.

The important thing is to seal it with something and tend to them every few days via washing etc. I usually spray some quick detailer (Meguiar's Final Inspection) on mine daily, and wipe with a terry towel, to remove light dust. They just never get embedded with dirt, and will never need any of the harsh cleaners. Leave them ( and the risks) for the average Joe that tends to their wheels every couple months.

Most people here have some killer wheels, and even the stock Lexus wheels, which are quality pieces and deserve proper care & maintenance
Old 05-04-04, 05:28 PM
johnee78
Lexus Champion

D 's info is sound. Wenol is good stuff.

johnee78, a couple coats of Zaino will really help protect them, go for it. Reapply every couple months to be safe.

The important thing is to seal it with something and tend to them every few days via washing etc. I usually spray some quick detailer (Meguiar's Final Inspection) on mine daily, and wipe with a terry towel, to remove light dust. They just never get embedded with dirt, and will never need any of the harsh cleaners. Leave them ( and the risks) for the average Joe that tends to their wheels every couple months.

Most people here have some killer wheels, and even the stock Lexus wheels, which are quality pieces and deserve proper care & maintenance
Your the man!! Thanks for the advice and I'm going to ZAINO my wheels before I put them on..I will put about 2-3 layers on.It's ok if I use the zfx right???Just want to make sure, thanks.Derrick thanks for the info on the WENOL...
Old 05-04-04, 06:25 PM
Guitarman

ZFX is great. Put on 3 layers.
Old 05-04-04, 06:27 PM
johnee78
Lexus Champion

ZFX is great. Put on 3 layers.
You the man!!!

Quick Reply: poilished lips