Automotive Care & Detailing Discussions on washing, waxing, polishing, detailing, cleaning and maintaining the beauty of your Lexus.

Dull polished lip

Search this Thread

Old 05-26-04, 05:49 AM
juan01
Pole Position

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
Default Dull polished lip

Hey guys, some portions of the lips on my wheels have lost the "smooth feeling, shiny look" to them... Not around the whole wheel, but some portions. What can I use to restore them from being like that? I'm not sure how it happened, but I am thinking maybe a combination of armor all getting on from the tires/dirt/sunlight? Anyone have any ideas?
Old 05-26-04, 08:10 AM
Guitarman

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Do you know if it's metal or clearcoated metal? You can find out by rubbing it with some paint polish on a white rag. If the rag turns black, it's plain metal, if the rags doesn't show black, it's clearcoated.

If metal- you could try a metal polish like NevR Dull, Wenol, or Mothers metal polish. Any of those should work fine.

If clearcoated- try some Kit Scratch-Out or Meguiar's Scratch X or 3M Fine Cut Rubbing Compound. You can even finish with a very fine abrasive such as (any) swirl remover polish, for ultimate clarity. Best of luck.

Last edited by Guitarman; 05-26-04 at 08:10 AM.
Old 05-26-04, 06:05 PM
juan01
Pole Position

I do not have any paint polish lyiing anywhere, but I am assuming that the lip is clearcoated... I will try the Meguiar Scratch X, I was about to buy some at Kmart last night, but I figured I should wait and ask someone on the forums first before dropping 10. Thanks dude! I'll be back to let you know how it goes.... or if I need anymore help!
Old 05-27-04, 02:22 AM
juan01
Pole Position

I just got some Meguiar's Scratch X and the dullness didn't budge. I guess my lip is metal?? Would any of you know?

My wheels are Racing Hart C4's... If anyone would know?
Old 05-27-04, 11:57 AM
joshoowa
Lexus Champion

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

its metal, i have a friend that has those wheels.
Old 05-27-04, 05:09 PM
juan01
Pole Position

Thank you sir, let's hope I can find some Nevr dull!
Old 05-30-04, 03:15 AM
juan01
Pole Position

Okay here's the update...

I found some Mother's metal polish, "safe for all metals" and the thing didn't budge either.... If anything, the dullness got worse.

What else can my problem on the wheels be? I will try to get pics up tomorrow, it's dark right now.
Old 05-30-04, 08:07 AM
D2-AUTOSPORT
Former Sponsor

Originally posted by juan01
Okay here's the update...

I found some Mother's metal polish, "safe for all metals" and the thing didn't budge either.... If anything, the dullness got worse.

What else can my problem on the wheels be? I will try to get pics up tomorrow, it's dark right now.
Sounds like you have non clearcoated Hi-Polished lips, trust me, do a search on Wenol Metal Polish, I bought mine from a Yahoo store vendor. It cost something like 25bucks before shipping. (i was anxious to protect my new wheels, think I paid something like 51, you may pay the same out there where you are).

There are also a couple things you have to do to protect/clean the polished:

1. Get a natural chamois (the one made from hide, not a synthetic like a Absorber)
2. Get some sponge applicator pads (yellow ones by meguiairs are my weapon)
3. Get some FLANNEL towels, this is VERY IMPORTANT. At Walmart they sell a big ole roll of them, they
are yellow with red stitching. I tried lots of rags on my wheels, terry cloth, microfiber, etc and these work
the best.

The Wenol is a 3step process but your lips are that big so it should take you about 15-20 minutes per wheel for all 3steps (DONT even ASK how long it takes to do an entire wheel! )

If the wenol doesnt take the dull out (it REALLY works) then just go to a motorcycle shop and ask for a professional polisher to fix them (with the machine)

Good luck
Old 05-30-04, 11:41 PM
juan01
Pole Position

Man, I hope this one will work... Can you double check if this is it?

http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll...sPageName=WDVW
Old 05-31-04, 04:13 AM
D2-AUTOSPORT
Former Sponsor

Originally posted by juan01
Man, I hope this one will work... Can you double check if this is it?

http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll...sPageName=WDVW
Hey Juan, thats not the one that I have, I bought this kit, I dont know if that will work for ya.

Here is the link: WENOL
Old 05-31-04, 04:15 AM
D2-AUTOSPORT
Former Sponsor

Here's a pic of my lips, I did the 3step on them yesterday. The lips (especially the rear) take a good amount of crap from the roads and the front wheel. They are like dirt baskets, so I keep on top of them, I never let them get "dull" maybe less than 100% bling, but never dull! LOL