Automotive Care & Detailing Discussions on washing, waxing, polishing, detailing, cleaning and maintaining the beauty of your Lexus.

Restoring/Repainting grille finish. (GS300)

Search this Thread

Old 06-02-04, 09:29 AM
TouringGS
Rookie

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Restoring/Repainting grille finish. (GS300)

The grille on my 1st generation GS300 has become opaque/faded, being more visible in direct light/sunlight. Since the car is not garaged, I assume it's the sun that has had an effect on it.

I want to repaint the grille, to give it the smooth, flat-black look again. I'm not sure what material the grille is made from, but sanding will most likely be a good idea prior to painting it correct? Also, what paint would be best suited to do this?

I appreciate any feedback.
Old 06-02-04, 10:05 AM
Guitarman

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

There are 2 different approaches you can take, based upon your skills and equipment (or lack thereof);

1) If you have a compressor and spray gun, then a catalyzed (paint+hardener) automotive urethane paint. You would also be best to lightly scuff the grill up with a Scotchbrite pad and use a "plastic prep' primer first (sold in shaker cans at AutoZone etc.) or supplied by your auto paint retailer. More work and $$$ yes, but you would probably never have to have it repainted.

2) If you have no spray gun nor compessor, then something like this;

http://www.dickblick.com/zz014/11/pr...m=0&ig_id=6372

Krylon's new paint for plastic is custom made for your situation. No sanding or priming necessary.

Choice #1 would provide you with the most durable finish hands down, but it's also more dangerous to spray, since 2k automotive urethanes contain isocyanates (very dangerous to the lungs and body). A breathing system is necessary

Choice #2 will probably hold up fine for a couple years, IF you prep the grill right by degreasing and cleaning it well. Even though the Krylon needs no special primer, you'll still need to make sure you use 3M prepsol or 3M Adhesive and Wax remover, then flush the part with a Dawn dish detergent wash and rinse.
Whatever choice you use -thin coats work best, with a wet coat as your last coat. Allow each coat to flash (dry) as indicated on the label , before you spray the next. Good luck, let us know how it turns out.

Last edited by Guitarman; 06-02-04 at 12:43 PM.
Old 06-02-04, 12:38 PM
TouringGS
Rookie

It feels like I should pay you for that response. lol

I appreciate the detail in your advice. I think I'm going to try the second option (plastic spray), though I'd be prepping it up quite well just incase. I'll see how that holds up, and if for whatever reason I have to repaint it again I'll go the spray gun/compressor route. I'll definately let you know how it turns out.

Thanks.
Old 06-02-04, 12:47 PM
Guitarman

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

NP, Good luck.

I noticed the Krylon only comes in gloss black ( at least in that link), so if you want a satin or flat black, just look into Rustoluem or DuPli Color spray paints. You would have to first scuff up the grill or use a plastic prep spray with those though, otherwise they may not stick too well over the long haul. Cheers.

Last edited by Guitarman; 06-02-04 at 12:48 PM.
Old 06-03-04, 10:49 AM
Wald GS
O.C. Lucky Strike Fanatic

If you do a search in the 1st gen forum, you can find a thread I made regarding painting the grill.