Automotive Care & Detailing Discussions on washing, waxing, polishing, detailing, cleaning and maintaining the beauty of your Lexus.

alcohol on leather?

Search this Thread

Old 06-03-04, 03:45 PM
roberttran
Pole Position

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default alcohol on leather?

Is it safe to use a 50/50 mix of alcohol/water to clean my leather before I use rejuvenator oil?

Thanks,
Robert
Old 06-03-04, 05:24 PM
squarehat
Lexus Test Driver

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

I would think the alcohol may dry the leather too much. I would use a leather cleaner like Zymol Leather Cleaner, which is a very mild glycerin soap, or make your own from diluted Woolite.

What brand of rejuvinator oil are you using, out of curiosity? I have worked with both Leatherique and Leather Therapy, and find them about the same. Leather Therapy is a little less expensive and much easier to find in stores.
Old 06-03-04, 06:03 PM
SeattleGS400
Advanced

Received 39 Likes on 10 Posts
Default Re: alcohol on leather?

Originally posted by roberttran
Is it safe to use a 50/50 mix of alcohol/water to clean my leather before I use rejuvenator oil?

Thanks,
Robert
I, too, would have to agree that the alcohol is a bit too rough for leather--it might discolor it.

Personally, I use a 6 parts water to 1 part Woolite liquid detergent to clean my leather seats. It's very gentle, cleans pretty well, and does not leave an offending scent behind. I got the advice from others on this website and others for mixing up a gentle leather cleaner.

Give it shot.
Old 06-03-04, 06:04 PM
roberttran
Pole Position

What is woolite?
I am using leatherique

Thanks,
Robert
Old 06-03-04, 06:19 PM
SeattleGS400
Advanced

Received 39 Likes on 10 Posts

Originally posted by roberttran
What is woolite?
I am using leatherique

Thanks,
Robert
Woolite is a liquid laundry detergent you can buy just about any grocery store. If you buy it, be SURE to dilute it before you use it (again 6 parts water to 1 part Woolite), as it's pretty concentrated stuff.

The retail package of Woolite looks like this:
Attached Images  

Last edited by SeattleGS400; 06-03-04 at 06:21 PM.
Old 06-03-04, 06:36 PM
roberttran
Pole Position

Thanks alot!
I put it on my mom's shopping list for this week (^_^)

-Robert
Old 06-13-04, 01:24 AM
persian451
Lexus Test Driver

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

i would use fast orange hand cleaner, there are no harmful chemicals that dry out the leather
Old 06-13-04, 09:23 AM
Guitarman

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

The problem with alcohol & leather is a matter of type and degree. Most leathers are dyed in alcohol based processes, but that doesn't mean much in the realm of cleaning finished leather. I know that isopropyl alcohol *can* remove dye from UNCOATED leathers, but I also know that coated leathers like Lexus (and most other OEM manufacturers ) do just fine with occasional spot cleaning via isopropyl alcohol. It's widely used on coated leathers to remove ink stains.You MUST use a conditioner after to negate the drying effects of alcohol though. Some owners manuals state NOT to use alcohol solutions on their leathers, so there's some merit to the fact they can be a concern in degrading the clear coating over time. Personally, I would only use it in great concentrations on ink or similar stains , where there's an eyesore to begin with, and the risk of damage isn't as great as the option of leaving the ink or stain. I wouldn't use it a replacement for general leather cleaning, it's got too big of a drying effect. It's not a bad gamble on problematic stains though, especially if you test first.

Even with something like Fast Orange hand cleaner( or soft scrub cleanser-which I've also read some use, ack!), you have to be cautious and test it first in an out of the way spot. Neither product was formulated for clear polyvinyl coatings or natural leather, so it's common sense that some of the ingredients aren't going to be in your typical leather cleaners. (here's a material safety data sheet on it for the curious). Yes, unfortunately Fast Orange also contains alcohol, which can dry it out. If you decide to use it, make sure to use a vinyl protectant or leather conditioner afterward, which should always be done regardless.

http://householdproducts.nlm.nih.gov...ds&id=16005004

And remember...just because your Uncle or a friend uses something odd that works in HIS car, doesn't always mean it will in YOURS, because each manufacturer may buy materials from a different supplier that makes them or coats them a bit differently. Chemistry is a funny thing when you start throwing things from left field into the mix. That said, Fast Orange has evidently helped enough people without bad scenarios that is could be considered somewhat *safe* on coated leathers. The one thing that we humans have to understand here is that sometimes a chemical mix can give great initial results, but can also break down a coating such as the polyurethane coating on our leathers, over time. ( For instance-lacquer thinner on clearcoat paint can remove spray paint, painted pin stripes, tar, etc. but *may* damage the clearcoat resins over the long haul, and cause micro checking) But the point is- always test first with ANY product not made specifically for a purpose. You can only go by others' testimonials on whether the use of a different chemical is safe long term.

This should be interesting- look at Westley's Leather and Vinyl cleaner and scroll down to the ingredients;

http://householdproducts.nlm.nih.gov...pe&prodcat=all

Note that it contains 1-5% alcohol. According to 3M, alcohol is widely used in SMALL concentrations that flash off fast and do no harm, in products like this. They have such a cleaning benefit that it's not uncommon to see it in leather cleaners (not usually in conditioners though because it dries the leather out).

So "safe" is a relative term here, as with most detailing associated products and their uses. It's all a matter of degree just like how much acidity can damage paint. Rain is acid in nature, but usually doesn't cause too much concern over paints' normal lifespan, (especially if waxed and protected). But throw some muriatic, sulfuric, or hydroflouric acid on it in 100% concentration, and...yikes! Instant damage. A matter of degree.

P.S. Always use a minimum of 70% isopropyl alcohol solution, NOT "anhydrous alcohol" which contains no water. You can dilute it further to start, and move up to 70% concentration if you need to.

Last edited by Guitarman; 06-13-04 at 01:19 PM.
Old 02-16-17, 05:50 PM
angus
Lexus Test Driver

Received 10 Likes on 8 Posts

I wanted to bump up this thread because I have ben researching ways to bring life back to hardened leather in a few of the lexus vehicles we own.

I've experimented and researched the various methods people have used and also the science behind leather and how it's made - or rather "processed".

I think there may be some credence to the OP's post where alcohol in some type of solution may be excellent when combined with a leather conditioner - since it can act as a medium to carry the conditioner into the leathers fibers - something that a lot of people may struggle to understand.
Old 02-17-17, 05:12 AM
zmcgovern4
Auto Detailing Master

Received 93 Likes on 78 Posts

The leatherique process (rejuvenator oil allowed to soak for 24+ hours, preferably in a warm environment... followed by pristine clean and agitation with a leather cleaning brush) will work wonders on the majority of leather surfaces. There are many threads on CL and other forums that will attest to this.
Old 02-10-23, 11:40 PM
MyFordVic
1st Gear

Originally Posted by roberttran
Thanks alot!
I put it on my mom's shopping list for this week (^_^)

-Robert
hey, Robert....O-o...if you're old enuf to have anything that needs its leather cleaned, ie; car, motorcycle, evena leather jacket..you need to get out of your mom's basement, get a job and buy your own damn woolite. Just saying.