Automotive Care & Detailing Discussions on washing, waxing, polishing, detailing, cleaning and maintaining the beauty of your Lexus.

Waxing cons?

Search this Thread

Old 06-07-04, 04:34 PM
gmac1337
Driver

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Waxing cons? {update...pics w/NXT}

Hey guys,
I'm bout to wash and put some NXT on my car tomorrow. My father told me that wax could hurt your paint? I don't really believe it but he says that the wax took off paint on one of his old cars. Granted, this was like a late 80's hatchback but can wax really do that if not properly applied? I don't want to end up hurting the finish of my car isntead of enhancing it.

Pics are on the bottom of the page.

Last edited by gmac1337; 06-12-04 at 03:47 PM.
Old 06-07-04, 06:19 PM
Blue98Gs3
Lexus Test Driver

What your dad probably meant is that on one of his cars, it damaged the clear coat, because back then, the wax he used probably was not clear coat safe, now-a-days, 99% of waxes are safe.
Old 06-07-04, 07:52 PM
gmac1337
Driver

Thanks a lot, I never really heard of wax taking off paint other than story my dad told me. I've seen some pics of NXT and the cars turned out great; I can't wait to put it on tomorrow. Pics sooon to follow.
Old 06-08-04, 01:04 PM
SeattleGS400
Advanced

Received 39 Likes on 10 Posts
Default Re: Waxing cons?

Originally posted by gmac1337
Hey guys,
I'm bout to wash and put some NXT on my car tomorrow. My father told me that wax could hurt your paint? I don't really believe it but he says that the wax took off paint on one of his old cars. Granted, this was like a late 80's hatchback but can wax really do that if not properly applied? I don't want to end up hurting the finish of my car isntead of enhancing it.
Two things come to mind about your dad's commment:

1. As Blue98Gs3 stated, your dad probably used a very abrasive wax or rubbing compuond on the car that would in effect ruin the paint job. Most waxes these days are very safe to use.

2. The paint job might have been neglected badly, so that if you waxed it, the paint would come off--but then again, at that point, any wax is better than no wax.

How does NXT work? I've heard really good things about it. Right now, I use Meguair's #9 (cleaner/polish) followed by Meguiar's #26 with very good results.
Old 06-08-04, 03:27 PM
jfelbab

Received 58 Likes on 45 Posts
Default Re: Re: Waxing cons?

Originally posted by SeattleGS400
Two things come to mind about your dad's commment:

1. As Blue98Gs3 stated, your dad probably used a very abrasive wax or rubbing compuond on the car that would in effect ruin the paint job. Most waxes these days are very safe to use.

2. The paint job might have been neglected badly, so that if you waxed it, the paint would come off--but then again, at that point, any wax is better than no wax.

How does NXT work? I've heard really good things about it. Right now, I use Meguair's #9 (cleaner/polish) followed by Meguiar's #26 with very good results.
I applied NXT on my RX330 back on 4/21/04 and it's holding up great. Looks very glossy and it is easy on and easy off. Apply a very thin coat and wait for 15-30 minutes before buffing off. Some people are reapplying another coat after 24 hours. Even others are topping NXT with #26 or #16 carnauba wax after 24 hours. I just went with a single coat of NXT and love it.

I've read where you should keep the vehicle out of the rain or water contact for at least 12 hours after application.

NXT looks great. Kind of a cross between #26's deep wet look coupled with #16's high reflectivity.
Old 06-08-04, 07:07 PM
gmac1337
Driver

Haha, I know the paint of my dad's old car was abused since it was parked in the Bronx for its whole lifetime. The car barely got any car washes and there was no wax to protect the paint. Anyway, i washed with Gold Class today and put on a coat of NXT on the es. The NXT was really easy to put on and take off. I'll post some pics when I resize them later on. The car is really shiny and all but when I run my hand across the car, I can feel little imperfections in the paint. It's almost as if there's a lot of little specs of dirt lying on the surface. I think I might need to use a claybar, do you guys have any recommendations on the best one out there?

Last edited by gmac1337; 06-08-04 at 07:08 PM.
Old 06-09-04, 06:24 AM
jfelbab

Received 58 Likes on 45 Posts

Originally posted by gmac1337
Haha, I know the paint of my dad's old car was abused since it was parked in the Bronx for its whole lifetime. The car barely got any car washes and there was no wax to protect the paint. Anyway, i washed with Gold Class today and put on a coat of NXT on the es. The NXT was really easy to put on and take off. I'll post some pics when I resize them later on. The car is really shiny and all but when I run my hand across the car, I can feel little imperfections in the paint. It's almost as if there's a lot of little specs of dirt lying on the surface. I think I might need to use a claybar, do you guys have any recommendations on the best one out there?
Mothers or Clay Magic kits both sell for around $10. The kits come with a 100 gram clay bar and a 16 oz bottle of spray lubricant.

When you get the kit cut the clay bar in half or thirds. Put the unused pieces into a zip-loc bag. Flatten the piece of clay and use the lube freely. Do a small area (2'x2') at a time using straight line strokes not circular, dry with a soft terry-cloth towel and feel the finish for any remaining particles. After finishing a panel turn the clay over. After another panel fold the clay and re-knead, flatten and continue. When you finish all the panels use the clay on your windows and it will strip the road film.

Important If you drop the clay on the ground throw it away and retrieve a new piece, don't try to salvage it.

Clay will remove a lot of bonded contaminants, but since this car's finish has been neglected I'd also suggest using a cleaner on it as well. I like Meguiar's Medallion Premium Paint Cleaner. I think Meguiar's Body Scrub or Deep Crystal Step1 Cleaner would also work.

I would also recommend using a polish before waxing. My favorites are Meguiars #81 (Hand Polish) or #7 (Show Car Glaze). This step will make the paint very deep and wet looking. After polishing I'd apply a coat of NXT.

How about posting some before and after pics?

Last edited by jfelbab; 06-09-04 at 06:30 AM.
Old 06-12-04, 03:49 PM
gmac1337
Driver

Pic 1 sry this came out weird, still tryin to find a good way to resize pics
Attached Thumbnails Waxing cons?-es300.jpg  

Last edited by gmac1337; 06-12-04 at 03:53 PM.
Old 06-12-04, 04:19 PM
gmac1337
Driver

Hopefully this time it works. Pics are of Gold Class wash and NXT wax. NXT was so easy to apply and remove, I highly recommend it. Sry for the large pics, smaller ones can be found in my gallery.

Old 06-12-04, 06:29 PM
Guitarman

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

That's a clean machine, very well done. Bravisimo!.