Automotive Care & Detailing Discussions on washing, waxing, polishing, detailing, cleaning and maintaining the beauty of your Lexus.

hopefully this is the right forum. Painting plastic in engine bay

Search this Thread

Old 06-14-04, 12:30 PM
VSsc400
Lexus Fanatic

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Default hopefully this is the right forum. Painting plastic in engine bay

i am trying to paint the plastic parts inside the engine bay.. the first attempt was a total failure... anyone?
Old 06-14-04, 09:48 PM
Guitarman

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

We'll need a little more background on it to give you a better answer.

What parts did you paint, what did you prep the parts with, what kind of paint did you use, and finally, what happened that made the result a disaster?
Old 06-15-04, 05:11 AM
VSsc400
Lexus Fanatic

Originally posted by Guitarman
We'll need a little more background on it to give you a better answer.

What parts did you paint, what did you prep the parts with, what kind of paint did you use, and finally, what happened that made the result a disaster?
I painted the fuse box cover, spark plug wire cover, coil pack cover, ignition coil cover and TRAC cover.

I didn't prep it. I used crylon high heat enamel.

It looked great for about a week and all the paint started to flake off...

I am looking to achieve that high gloss look.

thanks
Old 06-15-04, 06:42 PM
Guitarman

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

K, well here's the drill...

Whenever you paint any surface, you need to both degrease it very well, and give the paint a way to bond/stick.

Traditionally, plastic was a tough item because paint wasn't able to flex well nor bite onto it. Today, there are better technologies that allow it if you take the right path.

You first want to wash the items with an ammonia and water mix, or even a window cleaner that contains ammonia. Then you need to go a step further and use a product like 3M Prepsol, or 3M Adhesive & Wax Remover. This will ensure you have no silicones remaining. This is imperative because (especially in an engine bay) people like to spray rubber protectants (full of silicone) and if they get on plastic (which they will even if you don't intend them to get it on some things) they WILL cause fisheyes (called "cissing" ) which are tiny craters where the paint can't stick, due to the silicone on the part.

Once you're done with the washing and degreasing, you have a couple choices.;

You can go to AutoZone and find DupliColor Adhesion Promoter CP199 . This will allow the paint to stick and bond to the plastic. You allow it to dry as it states on the can and then spray your paint right over it.

Now, Krylon sells a new spray paint that has the adhesion promotor built right in, so that's another choice you can take, see link; http://www.dickblick.com/zz014/11/pr...m=0&ig_id=6372

When you spray your paint, you want to spray a couple light coats, then a final medium to heavy coat. You must adhere to flash times between coats. The paint will tell you how long to wait between coats.

Take those steps, and you will be able to have paint that sticks well.

With most things, you usually scuff sand the part to allow the paint to bite better. You CAN do that too, with plastic, but the problem there is it can alter the parts appearance (since plastic is soft) so this is why the chemical adhesion promotors come into play. They allow a chemical bond rather than a physical bond that sanding provides.

Best of luck, hope this helps.

Last edited by Guitarman; 06-15-04 at 06:44 PM.
Old 06-16-04, 05:18 AM
VSsc400
Lexus Fanatic

i am speechless... you are the man... i'm going to do this soon.... free mod? he he he