Automotive Care & Detailing Discussions on washing, waxing, polishing, detailing, cleaning and maintaining the beauty of your Lexus.

what is the best way to remove tints?

Search this Thread

Old 06-23-04, 07:37 AM
VSsc400
Lexus Fanatic

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Default what is the best way to remove tints?

i am trying to remove all the tints from my car and re-doing the whole thing... i can get the sides off but the rear..... i'd hate to rip out the defroster thing with the tint... any suggestions?

thanks.

P.S. if this is not the appropriate forum to ask, please move it to the correct section.

dennis
Old 06-23-04, 09:56 AM
Guitarman

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

I can't speak for everyone here, but I removed the tint on my old T-Bird Supercoupe by using a hair dryer to soften it a while, then started peeling back a tiny corner, kept pulling slowly with the hair dryer heat below where I was pulling from (helps to have 3 hands for this) and just kept going till it all came off. Mine came off complete, in full pieces, except for the rear window, which tore in a couple places, but it was still pretty easy to get those off. I wouldn't use a metal razor (plastic is ok) because you WILL scratch the glass.

I used a citrus (orange glo) cleaner full strength to clean the adhesive residue afterwards.

I know some use ammonia and other methods, but this worked well for my tint.
Old 06-23-04, 10:58 AM
VSsc400
Lexus Fanatic

thank you for the advise again... i really need to remove and do it again... i've got 5% tints all around and i can't see a damn thing at night.
Old 06-23-04, 12:51 PM
lexusk8
Lexus Fanatic

Received 21 Likes on 12 Posts

Originally posted by VSsc400
i've got 5% tints all around and i can't see a damn thing at night.
I wonder how'd you guys manage to drive the SC cross-country with 5% tint, esp. at night?!
Old 06-23-04, 12:55 PM
VSsc400
Lexus Fanatic

Originally posted by lexusk8
I wonder how'd you guys manage to drive the SC cross-country with 5% tint, esp. at night?!
it was dark.... really dark... that's probably why i slept so well in the back...... at night it's not as bad because people use headlights.. it's when it's getting dusk that i can't see because many people don't turn their headlights on at dusk... looking out the back WAS tough during the trip... lol
Old 06-23-04, 04:32 PM
/Aerostar\
Pole Position

Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts

If you're gonna redo the tints, I would highly recommend getting 15% LLumar all around. Its slighty illegal (in FL atleast), and it looks sooo good. Plus, you can see out of it just fine
Old 06-24-04, 05:44 AM
VSsc400
Lexus Fanatic

Originally posted by /Aerostar\
If you're gonna redo the tints, I would highly recommend getting 15% LLumar all around. Its slighty illegal (in FL atleast), and it looks sooo good. Plus, you can see out of it just fine
I am going to stay legal and do 35% all around....... I read road race rules in some races that i plan to participate and the tints have to be legal(35%) for safety reasons. go figure.
Old 06-24-04, 06:28 AM
Cadd
Lexus Test Driver

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I was thinking to do the same thing since my tints are beginning to peel off in the rear. The shop that I went to wanted to charge me $80 to remove. I said "no thank you".

Basically he said it's a difficult process....especially the rear with the defoggers. They have to use hot steam to get it soft so they can remove.

BTW, 35% is still illegal in NY for the driver & passenger windows. I don't think we're allowed to have any tints up front. For the rear, you can limo black if you want.

Another reason why I want to get new tints is because with polorized sunglasses, I see rainbow when I look out! It's so annoying. I also see 1 inch x 1 inch blotches.

Anyone else experience this with polorized glasses? Or is it my bad tint?
Old 06-24-04, 06:42 AM
VSsc400
Lexus Fanatic

hmm i have a pair of polarized Ray-ban daddy-o wraparounds. Lenses are glass and have anti-glare and scratch proof coating. I have not issues with the "rainbow effect"

I went to the tint shop and the shop told me that anything less than 35% was illegal.. They said 35% all around is legal... I'll try to look up the NYC dot code on that, but my car is registered in connecticut and their law states that all tints must pass a 20% light pass through test on the rear and 35% light pass through test in the front... so I'm going to go with 35% all around.
Old 06-24-04, 09:56 AM
lexusk8
Lexus Fanatic

Received 21 Likes on 12 Posts

Dennis, isn't it nice that our cars are registered in the state with the most lenient tint laws out of NE and the tri-state?

Here's a link for state tinting laws: http://www.tintdude.com/laws.html

For NY, it says 72% for front and rear windows, and any tint for the rear windshield.
For NJ, no tint allowed for front windows, and any tint for the rear windows and windshield.
For CT, 35% for front and rear windows, and any tint for the rear windshield.
For MA, 70% for the front windows, and any tint for the rear windows and windshield.
Old 06-24-04, 09:59 AM
VSsc400
Lexus Fanatic

Originally posted by lexusk8
Dennis, isn't it nice that our cars are registered in the state with the most lenient tint laws out of NE and the tri-state?

Here's a link for state tinting laws: http://www.tintdude.com/laws.html

For NY, it says 72% for front and rear windows, and any tint for the rear windshield.
For NJ, no tint allowed for front windows, and any tint for the rear windows and windshield.
For CT, 35% for front and rear windows, and any tint for the rear windshield.
For MA, 70% for the front windows, and any tint for the rear windows and windshield.

lol almost had to do it all over again had i gone with 20% rears.

35% all around it is!

actually right now my rears are double tinted 20% and 5%.... doh!

Last edited by VSsc400; 06-24-04 at 10:00 AM.
Old 06-26-04, 12:07 AM
byhisgrace
Driver School Candidate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

A friend of mine who does tinting for a living said to cover the rear deck and seat first then spray a liberal amount of ammonia onto the inside glass. Take the car out in the sun. After it heats up, he said it should peel off. He siad the hardest part is making sure you get the aarea totally free of residue before applying new tint. If you don't you will have areas that come loose.

Hope this helps,
Brad
Old 06-29-04, 09:12 AM
VSsc400
Lexus Fanatic

Originally posted by byhisgrace
A friend of mine who does tinting for a living said to cover the rear deck and seat first then spray a liberal amount of ammonia onto the inside glass. Take the car out in the sun. After it heats up, he said it should peel off. He siad the hardest part is making sure you get the aarea totally free of residue before applying new tint. If you don't you will have areas that come loose.

Hope this helps,
Brad
thank you. I will try this.
Old 07-01-04, 06:13 PM
lexusondubs
dubsonlexus

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

another method is to apply ammoina to rear window then apply black garbage bag on top of the ammoina leave in sun 60 minuts it should then peel right off .and some tint shops use a steamer to remove tint from the rear window as well..be careful not to remove the defroster hope this helped .........shawn