Automotive Care & Detailing Discussions on washing, waxing, polishing, detailing, cleaning and maintaining the beauty of your Lexus.

Interior color for easiest maintenance.

Search this Thread

Old 06-29-04, 02:27 AM
reb
Driver School Candidate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Interior color for easiest maintenance.

I'm shopping for a 2004 RX 330 now, and was wondering how easy is it to keep the lighter Lexus leather color (beige and grey) looking clean vs. the black leather? I've had light beige and grey leather in the past (different brand) and noticed a tendency for it to scuff and show marks/cracks easily. And I've heard that black is the best color to get for leather, because it doesn't show imperfections as easily. Yes/no?

I also live in Florida, so black interior might be unbearably hot in the summer. I would appreciate any feedback on your experience with keeping your interior clean. If you reside in a hot area like Florida and have black leather, I'd also appreciate your comments. Thanks.
Old 06-29-04, 11:02 AM
Guitarman

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Default I'll play devil's advocte here...

Most of your perception is correct, in that light colors will indeed show dirt more noticeably. However, one thing about black leather is that it tends to show wrinkles (they are light in tone against the black color), and this can be unsightly too. All leather wrinkles eventually, that's normal, but it's less obvious with light colors. For instance, look at the bottom cusion on this Lincoln with black leather;

Now, here's a Lincoln with gray leather. The wrinkling and veins in the leather are hard to see because they are light against a light color.

Even well maintained black leather will show this effect more, that's just the nature of the beast. It's a tradeoff, and one each person has to determine for themself. Black is also hotter and will require more conditioning vs lighter colors because of the heat absorbtion. Hope this helped.
Old 06-29-04, 02:01 PM
reb
Driver School Candidate

Guitarman - Thank you. Your post was very helpful. Still haven't decided, but you've given me some good information. ;-)

Rebekah
Old 07-03-04, 11:01 AM
reb
Driver School Candidate

Guitarman - I ended up going with the black interior. Is there any special product that you would recommend that I use on the black synthetic materials? Also, the front dash looks very dry (no shine at all) and I was wondering if I should put some some kind of vynil wax (i.e. Amorall) on it or not? Thanks.

Last edited by reb; 07-03-04 at 11:04 AM.
Old 07-03-04, 11:27 AM
jfelbab

Received 58 Likes on 45 Posts

Originally posted by reb
Guitarman - I ended up going with the black interior. Is there any special product that you would recommend that I use on the black synthetic materials? Also, the front dash looks very dry (no shine at all) and I was wondering if I should put some some kind of vynil wax (i.e. Amorall) on it or not? Thanks.
My opinion, FWIW, is that you don't want to put stuff on your dash that will make it shiny. If it is shiny it causes glare. I use Meguiars #40 to condition and treat the vinyl in my RX330. I has the UVA&UVB screens for protection and also leaves a nice matte finish. It doesn't seem to attract dust either.

For leather care I like Lexol.

Last edited by jfelbab; 07-03-04 at 11:32 AM.
Old 07-03-04, 02:19 PM
reb
Driver School Candidate

Thank you. I've used the Maguire's before, and I remember it left a nice sheen that was not too shiny.

What kind of cloth do you use to apply it? One thing I noticed is that the black dash has a very matte finish, and it can scratch easily. I started cleaning it earlier today with a 100% terry cloth, and I noticed the cloth was leaving small white scratches, so I immediately stopped. Fortunately, the scratches disappeared when wiping with a much softer cloth and a little water.

Anyway, that's partly the reason I decided to post some questions here. The dash material is very different from your usual vinyl dash... and it tends to scratch easily.
Old 07-03-04, 02:49 PM
jfelbab

Received 58 Likes on 45 Posts

I have the ivory upholstery in my RX330 and my dash is kind of a coffee color. I apply #40 to the dash and other interior vinyl with a foam hand applicator. I apply it very thin and evenly. The dash and upper door trim seems to be made of a dull finished vinyl. I suspect this is to reduce glare.

I also use the #40 on the black vinyl exterior trim. There I apply with the foam pad too and after a few minutes I buff it with a soft 100% cotton towel. It leaves that same "new" look and doesn't run or streak in the rain.

So you just got your RX330? I'm sure you will be delighted with it. I know I sure like mine.

I see you are in Florida. I winter in Fort Myers. Usually from December through March or April. I just can't stand the high heat and humidity this time of year.
Old 07-04-04, 10:26 AM
reb
Driver School Candidate

I posted a message here earlier and it seems to have disappeared, or perhaps it never got posted.

To reiterate part of my preveious message: Yes, we finally made our RX 330 purchase. It's wonderful! I posted my delivery experience on the RX 330 board. The vehicle was actually intended to replace my husband's lease. However, I'll be getting it in the evenings and on weekend. ;-)

Last edited by reb; 07-04-04 at 10:28 AM.
Old 07-04-04, 12:56 PM
Guitarman

Reb, I could swear I read your post on selecting the black leather, I don't know what happened to it quite honestly-it wasn't me that did it! lol .

Anyway, congrats on your purchase. Just clean and condition it every 3 months or so and it'll look and feel good for a long time. 303 Aerospace Protectant is also great for the poly/vinyl coating on Lexus leathers, as it's not real shiny. Enjoy!
Old 07-04-04, 02:12 PM
reb
Driver School Candidate

Is the 303 Aerospace Protectant for vinyl or for leather? Or for both? Also, is this something I can find in a regular automotive store (i.e. pep boys, autozone)? Thanks.

Last edited by reb; 07-04-04 at 02:16 PM.
Old 07-04-04, 05:49 PM
Guitarman

It's for vinyl and rubber. Since Lexus leathers are coated those type of protectants are good because they provide some UV protection on that poly topcoat. A lot of people like to use a leather cleaner, then a leather conditioner, then a vinyl protecatnt ( like 303) on top. The leather conditioner may be redundant, since it can't fully penetrate to the leather itself, but most still feel it gives benefits over just using a vinyl protectant. I never argue with what works, as long as there's no harm.

303 can more redily be found at Marine supply stores ( West Marine carries it ) moreso than automotive stores. I get mine at West Marine. It's a bit pricey @ $13, but it's a quality product and does contain more UV40 than just about any product out there, from what I'm told by some of the chemists on the boards. I've done some research in the past, andUV40 is one of the costlier chemical additives, so that's likely why it's 2x the cost of the same amount of Armor-All etc.

Cheers.
Old 07-05-04, 02:13 AM
reb
Driver School Candidate

Guitarman, Thanks for the detailed response. There's a West Marine store in my area, so I'll go check it. That would make sense that a protectant for boats would be stronger.

Any comments about the Lexus brand protectant?
Old 07-06-04, 10:38 AM
reb
Driver School Candidate

I went ahead and purchased the 303 Aerospace Protectant, and I think it's going to work out great. It goes on very easily and smoothly... and leaves a nice sheen that's not too shiny.

I also like the fact that it will protect so many kinds of different surfaces: "vinyl, leather, plactic, fiberglass, and rubber"; so I'll also be able to use it on my black leather seats. Thanks to everyone here for their input.

Now it's to figure out what is I should do about the black carpet/floor mats that show every little white speck. ;-)

Last edited by reb; 07-06-04 at 10:58 AM.