Automotive Care & Detailing Discussions on washing, waxing, polishing, detailing, cleaning and maintaining the beauty of your Lexus.

Want to know your best opinions onsoaps/waxes/ and degreasers?

Search this Thread

Old 07-01-04, 10:31 PM
mcv30
Driver

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Question Want to know your best opinions onsoaps/waxes/ and degreasers?

for soap there's this product called wolfgang on autogeek.net i seems hi-tech or "special" what do you guys think? is it a good product or name for other types of car cleaning product?
or how about the meguir's gold car wash; the type that's sold in autozone or any other places?

as for waxes and degreasers i'm not familiar much about them except for meguir's product on wax or zaino or p21 or something like that...

but yea i'd like to know what's the best product that you've used to wash or clean your cars with for the exterior.

-thanks
Old 07-02-04, 06:36 AM
jfelbab

Received 58 Likes on 45 Posts

These are my favorites;

1) Car Wash: Meguiar's Gold Class Car Wash or NXT Tech Wash.
2) Clay: Meguiar's Quik Clay
3) Paint cleaner: Meguiar's Medallion Premium Paint Cleaner (MPPC)
4) Polish: Meguiar's #83 Dual Action Cleaner Polish, #82 Swirl Free Polish followed by #81 Professional Hand Polish.
5) Wax: Meguiar's NXT Tech Wax (a polymer sealant) or their #16 Professional Car Wax and #26 Hi-Tech Yellow Wax.
6) Degreaser: Meguiar's EXTRA All Surface Cleaner or their Super Degreaser.

Last edited by jfelbab; 07-02-04 at 11:43 AM.
Old 07-02-04, 10:14 AM
lexusk8
Lexus Fanatic

Received 21 Likes on 12 Posts

My current exterior care line-up:

* Car wash = P21S Bodywork Conditioning Shampoo
* Polish/detail = Meguiar's Quik Detail (always kept in the trunk)
* Clay = Perfect Shine Detailing Clay
* Fine scratch remover = Meguiar's Scratch-X
* Paint chips and scratches = AutoSharp paint pen
* Swirl mark remover = 3M Fine-Cut Swirl Mark Remover
* Wax = Meguiar's Step 3 Carnauba Wax

Last edited by lexusk8; 07-02-04 at 12:29 PM.
Old 07-04-04, 08:45 PM
mcv30
Driver

Originally posted by lexusk8
My current exterior care line-up:
* Clay = Perfect Shine Detailing Clay
this clay that you're using, i thought most of the clays for cleaning/detailing are to remove bug/tar or road grimes etc. i didn't know it can shine up your car, is it like an alternative to wax/polish? and how do you use it, is it after you wash your car with soap then apply then like wax and use a terry cloth to wipe it off?

but yea thanks for the replies you guys!
Old 07-04-04, 09:41 PM
lexusk8
Lexus Fanatic

Originally posted by 1mz-fe
this clay that you're using, i thought most of the clays for cleaning/detailing are to remove bug/tar or road grimes etc. i didn't know it can shine up your car, is it like an alternative to wax/polish? and how do you use it, is it after you wash your car with soap then apply then like wax and use a terry cloth to wipe it off?

but yea thanks for the replies you guys!
There have been many discussion threads in the past regarding clay bars , but in a nutshell, claying a car helps remove any surface contaminants that remain on the car after a car wash. From the naked eye, you can't see the contaminants that stick to the body of the car, but if you put your hand in a plastic sandwich bag and rub a little on the car's body or hood, you should feel some roughness or friction. The clay bar helps the surface feel smoother, and serves as a stepping stone towards the polishing, glazing and waxing stages (in that order). Also, you must use some sort of lubricant (such as a detailing spray, or a spray bottle filled with water or soap water) with your clay bar. Clay and clean w/ a dry terry cloth one section at a time.

Hope this info helps
Old 07-06-04, 09:15 AM
mcv30
Driver

[QUOTE]Originally posted by lexusk8
[B]My current exterior care line-up:

* Polish/detail = Meguiar's Quik Detail (always kept in the trunk)
* Fine scratch remover = Meguiar's Scratch-X
* Swirl mark remover = 3M Fine-Cut Swirl Mark Remover

hey lexusk8

i read on autopiaabout the "clay" , but for polish i was wondering they said the polish will remove fine scratch also, but what is really the difference between those 3 items if they are served purposely the same reason of removing scratches or swirls? unless are they use for different types of surface scratch examples of "1200-1000" grit scratch compare to "800-1000?" and for wax isn't it similar to polishing? except for the resistance of the water repelling bubbles that's shown on waxes?

Thanks for the helpful response.

Last edited by 1mz-fe; 07-06-04 at 09:16 AM.
Old 07-06-04, 10:21 AM
lexusk8
Lexus Fanatic

Originally posted by 1mz-fe
but for polish i was wondering they said the polish will remove fine scratch also, but what is really the difference between those 3 items if they are served purposely the same reason of removing scratches or swirls? unless are they use for different types of surface scratch examples of "1200-1000" grit scratch compare to "800-1000?" and for wax isn't it similar to polishing? except for the resistance of the water repelling bubbles that's shown on waxes?

Thanks for the helpful response.
You've asked a mouthful , but I'll try my best to explain:

- The Quik Detail spray is basically like a portable version of a paste or liquid wax. I use the QD to spot-clean dirty parts around the car, that's it.
- The Scratch-X applicant is the closest out of all to be classified as a polisher. It removes fine scratches and swirls by hand, and also enhances the paint color. It serves as a touch-up applicant to the already existing paint.
- The Swirl Mark Remover is used to remove heavy swirls on your car, and results are better achieved when used with an electrical polisher or a Porter Cable polisher. I don't use the SMR that often since I tend to keep the paint on my care constantly maintained with less aggressive polishes and applicants.
- As you already know, wax is the final stage for paint protection. It should be done on the car 2-3 times a year, and also serves to hide some (not all) hairline scratches.
Old 07-06-04, 06:47 PM
mcv30
Driver

Originally posted by lexusk8
You've asked a mouthful
i'm sorry man that i've asked too much... i'm not as a professional detailer, but some day... some day i'll know "most" of the products well like you do
Old 07-06-04, 07:04 PM
lexusk8
Lexus Fanatic

Not a problem 1mz, that's what we're all here for, to help each other out

For your future reference, you can utilize the built-in search engine from this forum (located at the top left of the page, under the heading "Search the forums:" Definitely use the CL search engine if you want to find more info or discussion on a specific product. I've also added below a few great car detailing links.

http://www.lexuscarcare.com
http://www.carcareonline.com
http://www.meguiars.com

Enjoy!