Automotive Care & Detailing Discussions on washing, waxing, polishing, detailing, cleaning and maintaining the beauty of your Lexus.

hvlp turbine sprayers??

Search this Thread

Old 07-09-04, 04:45 PM
prjctSC300
Lead Lap

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default hvlp turbine sprayers??

interested in buying a hvlp turbine sprayers system, but not sure if i need an exact one for automotive work?? anybody got recommendaions on brands?? went to home depot and saw a reasonable campbell hausfield brand, any good?? just trying to paint fenders and bumpers. thanks for any input
Old 07-09-04, 06:48 PM
Guitarman

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

http://www.taunton.com/finewoodworking/pages/w00051.asp

Check that link out, they have a review of 5 or so different brands, as well as some info on what to look for when buying one. I had an AccuSpray turbine system a few years back that belonged to my wife's dad (I inherited it when he passed) , but I gave it to a friend because I was too set in my ways and it was fussier than my siphon feed gun and compressor that I was too used to I guess. That said, it was an older model and they have indeed come a long way. These new systems are reportedly pretty damn good, and would yield great results. Best of luck.

P.S. My friend that has my old system says he got it to spray real nice, so It might've been my impatience with a different gun and system.
Old 07-09-04, 09:59 PM
prjctSC300
Lead Lap

nice review, but i didnt see it mention anything about automotive paints?? do you have any experience about this??
Old 07-09-04, 10:22 PM
Guitarman

Well, I'm reticent to give you my (brief ) experience with that older AccuSpray unit, because I tried spraying urethane enamel ( basecoat initially) with it, but I had a difficult time getting it to spray the way i wanted it to, and honestly gave up probably before I should have. As I said, my friend used it with some Rustoleum enamel (reduced) and he showed me an impressive metal panel he sprayed. It looked real good, Hardly any orange peel etc. I'm so used to a siphon gun that I just stuck with that.

So...I don't know if you can take that as anything indicative of what to expect, but I'll *asssume* (ack!) it can spray urethanes well, if set up and with the right tip (I had a few and didn't try them all).

My Father-In -Law was refinishing tubs and bath fixtures with epoxy paint with it before he passed away, and I CAN tell you they looked professionally done. They aren't that much different than 2k urethanes.

That unit was about 7 years old too,so take that into account.

Sorry I can't be of more help than that. I'll see if I can dig up any more on them and automotive paints if I have some time this coming week.
Old 07-09-04, 11:12 PM
prjctSC300
Lead Lap

cool i did some research on my own and found that the wagner and fugi to be pretty good. but i am confused about which to choose between a 3 or 4 stage, i am mainly using the sprayer for fenders, bumpers, and motorcycle fairings. thanks in advance for your help and any further info you may provide
Old 07-10-04, 11:28 PM
prjctSC300
Lead Lap

man im so confused after doing more and more research about these turbine sprayers. maybe you can assist me in my purchase. im looking for a non bleeder type turbine sprayer, looking to spend $500-$700 max, but confused about what stage i need, and what brand is best for automotive type of spraying, thanks
Old 07-11-04, 10:25 AM
Guitarman

Well, I'm not much of an expert on turbine sprayers, so here's my best advice;

http://www.lemmer.com/hvlp.htm

Take a look over those units, they say they have one or more that's good for automotive spraying, so if I were you I'd call their 1-800 # they have at the bottom of the page, and pick their brain about just what would suit your needs and budget. You don't have to committ to buying one of their units, but they should be able to tell you what to look for.

Here is the skinny on Bleeder vs non bleeder (this is from another website);

What's the difference between a "Bleeder Gun" and a "Non-Bleeder Gun"?

A Bleeder Gun has air blowing out of the Air Cap at all times - the only thing the trigger controls is the stroke of the needle and in turn, the amount of material released from the cup. When the trigger is released, the material stops but the air keeps blowing.
Trigger on bleeder gun only controls amount of material released from cup

When trigger is released, the material stops, but the air keeps blowing (bleeding) all the time.

A Non-Bleeder Gun has a shut-off valve built in to the handle that is controlled by the trigger - the first stage of the trigger stroke is air only, the second stage is material. When the trigger is released, the material and the air stops.
Trigger on non-bleeder gun controls both air and material released from cup - first stage is air only, second stage is material

When the trigger is released, the material stops, and the air stops
The non-bleeder type is more simiilar to a siphon feed spray gun, and I would personally perfer that. Up to you of course.

Let us know what you come up with, and what you decide on. Good luck.

Last edited by Guitarman; 07-11-04 at 10:34 AM.