Automotive Care & Detailing Discussions on washing, waxing, polishing, detailing, cleaning and maintaining the beauty of your Lexus.

Can I safely use QD on clearcoated wheels?

Search this Thread

Old 07-15-04, 09:16 PM
DaveGS4
Forum Administrator

Received 2,260 Likes on 1,373 Posts
Default Can I safely use QD on clearcoated wheels?

Want to get the brake dust off of wheels, but don't have time for a water & mild soap wash of them.

Can I use QD and a microfiber towel on them without any issue to clean off brake dust?
Old 07-15-04, 10:55 PM
Guitarman

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Default Yessir

I've done it for years on all my cars, with no scratching. But I do it about every other day.

The more dust , the more QD you have to spray to provide lubricity. If you haven't QD'd them for a week, it would probably be best to wash them with soap & a bucket to be safest, but each day, or every couple days, the QD is great for that.

Last edited by Guitarman; 07-15-04 at 10:55 PM.
Old 07-16-04, 07:19 AM
jfelbab

Received 58 Likes on 45 Posts

I used to use QD often to keep my wheels clean. It worked just fine but recently I applied NXT Tech wax to the wheels. This is a polymer sealant and I find that it doesn't hold on to the brake dust nearly as much as a carnauba wax. After every washI apply the NXT Booster spray and I hardly have any dust build-up. The wheels feel very slippery.
Old 07-16-04, 07:24 AM
DaveGS4
Forum Administrator

Received 2,260 Likes on 1,373 Posts

Cool, thanks. I actually have a couple of coats of Zaino (also no carnuba) on the wheels already and will add more. I'm just looking for the in between dustoff, especially as my new brakes are still getting bedded and generating more dust than normal.

The QD spray I'll also use is the Meguiar's Final Inspection which doesn't have any of the oils in it, should be OK to use with the Zaino from prior posts.

Dan if you read this, you think they'll be OK for the lips as well (no scratching)?
Old 07-16-04, 07:51 AM
Guitarman

Yep Dave, that will work well for the lip as well. Keep building that Zaino and you'll find them extremely easy to clean and care for.

QD's are engineered to help float / wipe away dust and light dirt with lubricity, much the same as when you wash your car, just on a smaller scale. I usually spray it a bit heavier on wheels than I do on the paint, because I'd rather err on the side of more lubricity just in case.
Old 07-16-04, 07:54 AM
johnee78
Lexus Champion

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I second ZAINO on clearcoated wheels... Dave, when using QD on the lips just be careful that there isn't any residue like small rocks or anything grainy that can scratch the lips..I wasn't paying attention one day and put a light scratch on the lip but fixed it with scratch X with almost no trouble..Just make sure that the wheel is residue free and QD away...
Old 07-16-04, 07:56 AM
johnee78
Lexus Champion

Default I almost forgot..

I use PAK SHAKs MF towels when I QD my wheels...
Old 07-16-04, 03:08 PM
04GS300
Pole Position

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

hmm...what is QD? And regarding Zaino, does it become less 'stickable' with more coats? I've had 3 coats on for a few months now and it's still beading great and smooth, but I am having some kind of stuff that sticks to it. It's not guts or dung...I'm thinking it's some kind of tree product. I can get it off, but it's wearing my fingernails out! I'm talking about paint...I haven't put any on my wheels although that's a great idea! But, long question short, does Zaino get less sticky with more coats?
Old 07-16-04, 03:11 PM
johnee78
Lexus Champion

Originally posted by 04GS300
hmm...what is QD? And regarding Zaino, does it become less 'stickable' with more coats? I've had 3 coats on for a few months now and it's still beading great and smooth, but I am having some kind of stuff that sticks to it. It's not guts or dung...I'm thinking it's some kind of tree product. I can get it off, but it's wearing my fingernails out! I'm talking about paint...I haven't put any on my wheels although that's a great idea! But, long question short, does Zaino get less sticky with more coats?
QD is quick detailer..
Old 07-16-04, 03:22 PM
04GS300
Pole Position

Kids this is what sleep deprivation will do to you! Why are oils bad for clearcoated wheels? Coilovers/wheels is my next savings project, but I think I need to learn a lot more about wheel care! Since clearcoated wheels are basically like your paint, wouldn't any detailer be fine oil or no?
Old 07-16-04, 07:25 PM
Guitarman

Kids this is what sleep deprivation will do to you! Why are oils bad for clearcoated wheels? Coilovers/wheels is my next savings project, but I think I need to learn a lot more about wheel care! Since clearcoated wheels are basically like your paint, wouldn't any detailer be fine oil or no?
They're not actually bad at all, but Dave uses Zaino on his rims and being a polymer sealant, Zaino won't bond / stick to anything present on the rims that has silicone or oils in it. That's the only reason you would want a QD without silicones or wax or oils.

If you're not using a polymer on them for protection, it wouldn't matter. Cheers.
Old 07-16-04, 07:35 PM
Guitarman

If it's sap or tree resins, that will tend to stick to just about any wax or sealant, because it either bonds to the sealant itself or (eventually) eats through the protection and grabs onto the paint. Waxes and sealants offer protection, but it's not ABSOLUTE protection that stops everything. Science hasn't been able to do that just yet., despite what we may see on TV infomercials. Try leaving bird doo on any wax or sealant long enough and you'll have etching.

Try using a clay bar and see if that pulls it off. Usually it will take care of it with ease. The more Zaino you build up, the better the protection, to a point anyway. Nothing is a panacea against acid and such, but the better protection you have, the more time you have to get stuff like that off before it does damage.

Last edited by Guitarman; 07-16-04 at 07:36 PM.
Old 07-17-04, 08:28 AM
04GS300
Pole Position

Can you clay Zaino safely? Thanks a lot!!!!!!!!!

Last edited by 04GS300; 07-17-04 at 08:44 AM.