Automotive Care & Detailing Discussions on washing, waxing, polishing, detailing, cleaning and maintaining the beauty of your Lexus.

Suede

Search this Thread

Old 07-15-04, 11:01 PM
johnee78
Lexus Champion

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Default Suede

I would like to know if having suede inserts on your daily driven car's seats a bad idea due to wear and maintanence??I would like some feedback from those with experiance with suede interior...Guitarman were you at???
Old 07-16-04, 07:57 AM
johnee78
Lexus Champion

Anybody have any feedback on the durability of suede interior???
Old 07-16-04, 10:20 AM
Guitarman

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Guitarman were you at???

Hey Johnee, unfortunately, my work is outside and on the cars and I often don't get to the computer sometimes during the day ( except in the A.M. before I leave), so patience here is a necessity if you need my advice personally...but I'm home for lunch at the moment so here goes...

Suede is fussy. If you are bent on nothing but natural suede, you have to resign yourself to professional care for it if it gets dirty and/or stained, because there is a limited amount YOU can do personally to care for it. Once you get a stain or mark, it's pretty much out of your control because so many things that can clean and fix leather stains and dirt, won't work on suede without damaging it more.

May I recommend an alternative, Alcantara...:

http://www.gulffabrics.com/

It's MUCH less finicky than natural suede, and most people would not be able to tell the difference. Ford and other oem manufacturers use it in many of their vehicles today. It holds up well, and you can use Blue Coral Fabric & Upholstery cleaner on it, or similar, which you CAN'T on real suede.

If you do decide on natural suede, get yourself a suede brush and brush it regularly (get one even if you choose Alcantara). A gummy eraser also works at removing some marks and stains, but not all. Hope this helps.
Old 07-16-04, 10:29 AM
Guitarman

BTW, real suede is pretty durable, but it does show wear like treated leather. If you brush it regularly ( to keep it from getting matted) and avoid a lot of sweat (do you wear shorts a lot when driving? Sweat can take a toll this way , and trap dirt etc.) it will give many years of service and good looks. It will not be quite as durable as Alcantara over the long haul though, because the synthetics in that are just engineered for longevity as a factor.
Old 07-16-04, 03:46 PM
johnee78
Lexus Champion

Exclamation

Guitarman-Thank you very much for the adcice and the site...I will definantely consider alcantara..Do you know how much it is by the yard?? And alacantara is much easier to maintain than suede and is more durable for everyday use, correct?? Thanks again and sorry if I seemed a bit impatient, it's just that I value your opinion on the subject of detailing..Thanks again..
Old 07-16-04, 07:21 PM
Guitarman

The answer to all those questions is yes. Much easier to maintain, more durable, and it's virtually indistinguishable from real suede by the average person. I know people that have owned Ford Explorers with it that didn't even know they had Alcantara. They thought it was suede.

I appreciate the kind words, I'll try to live up to them.

I don't know what it costs per yard, but i can tell you it will be a LOT less than suede. Here is something i dug up, for your reference on cost;

http://www.audifans.com/pipermail/bi...er/000735.html

Believe it or not $40 a yard is pretty cheap. Try buying oem seat leather and you can spend $800 to $1000 per seat! Ouch. The Alcantara would be more like ~$80-$100 per seat.( for material, not including labor) `
Old 07-16-04, 07:38 PM
johnee78
Lexus Champion

Talking Thanks again...

Once again thanks for the link and I will talk to my interior guy and see how much he can get it for..$40 a yard is alot cheaper than suede and I like the fact that it's easier to maintain.I was really concerned with the fact that I drive my car daily and the idea of wearing out the suede inserts really didn't sit well with me..But the alcantara is an excellent and a less expensive alternative to suede..thanks and I will keep you updated on my progress..
Old 07-21-04, 07:33 PM
LXOGOOD
Lexus Champion

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

My NOVA suede for the trunk was $70 a yard.

BTW: Alcantara is the only way to go if you plan on sitting on it or planning on abusing it. However, Nova Suede is what the big boys use to get that elegant look and feel. Trunks and headliners are usually wrapped in Nova. Here is a pic of my trunk done up in Nova Suede...
Attached Thumbnails Suede-pics-461.jpg  
Old 07-21-04, 07:40 PM
D2-AUTOSPORT
Former Sponsor

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Very good post, good information, I'm shallow, I would choose the Alcantara just to have an excuse to say that word when people ask me about my interior. It "sounds" a helluva lot more exotic than just plain old "suede" LOL

"Hey man, is that suede on your seats?"

"Nah bro, its Alcantara......." oooohhh ahhhhhhhhhhh ooooooooo LOL
Old 07-22-04, 06:07 PM
LXOGOOD
Lexus Champion

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally posted by DGOT20s
Very good post, good information, I'm shallow, I would choose the Alcantara just to have an excuse to say that word when people ask me about my interior. It "sounds" a helluva lot more exotic than just plain old "suede" LOL

"Hey man, is that suede on your seats?"

"Nah bro, its Alcantara......." oooohhh ahhhhhhhhhhh ooooooooo LOL