Automotive Care & Detailing Discussions on washing, waxing, polishing, detailing, cleaning and maintaining the beauty of your Lexus.

Hopw to remove light hazy white roof fading??

Search this Thread

Old 07-20-04, 10:43 PM
silversprucesc3
Lexus Champion

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Hopw to remove light hazy white roof fading??

I have a silver spruce sc3 and there is light fading of the paint ONLY on the roof. Maybe due to my lack of attention to detailing the car.
Can I get these out by buffing or is there a 'safer' and easier way to regain the luster on the roof?
Old 07-21-04, 06:05 AM
lexusk8
Lexus Fanatic

Received 21 Likes on 12 Posts

blktiger, I know what you're talking about. I sort of have the same thing going on in my ES, but it's just on one corner on the driver's side, and the car is black so it's not very noticeable unless you look at it from a different angle and light. Not too concerned about it on my car since black is a nice blending color, but I understand your concern on your spruce colored SC. Maybe you can take your car to a local body shop and ask for their opinion? That might be a good start
Old 07-21-04, 10:03 AM
Guitarman

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

blktiger12, Without a photo of it we can only guess, but there are 2 possible causes for this;

1) Oxidation of the clearcoat. If this is the case, you can first try a solvent cleaner like Klasse' All In One (has protection as well as cleaning ability) or Meguiar's Body Scrub Cleaner. The solvent cleaner will be less aggressive than an abrasive, and remove some oxidation, so they're a good 1st option. If they don't work well enough, you can try some Meguiar's Dual Action Cleaner Polish, or Kit Scratch Out, or 3M Finesse-it Finishing Material or even 3M Fine Cut Rubbing Compound if necessary, but as a last option since it's fairly aggressive.

2). Impending clearcoat failure I see a lot of this on GM , Ford and Chrysler cars, and i t begins by the clear turning whitish in color. Eventually, it will chalk and can delaminate. It's caused basically from insufficient UV inhibitors, from thin clearcoat. Over the years, the clear gets thinner and thinner, via buffing (or even inadequete paint thickness from the factory ) and since the UV inhibitors reside in the upper .5 MIL of the clear (which is about 1.8 MILs thick), once they're buffed or worn away, the sun attacks the resin system in the clearcoat, breaking it down and chalking it. Nothing you can do but repaint. Abrasives won't help, in fact they'll speed up the paint's demise, not that it will make a difference in the end either way , only possibly in the time factor ( you'll need that panel repainted sooner rather than later if you buff it out).

I haven't seen much of this on Lexus vehicles though, so I'm hoping your problem is option #1. Let us know how it goes with the solvent cleaner or the abrasives. Good luck.

Last edited by Guitarman; 07-21-04 at 10:04 AM.
Old 07-21-04, 10:33 PM
silversprucesc3
Lexus Champion

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Thanks guys... I will try the Meguairs kit since I have it "unused"//lol