Automotive Care & Detailing Discussions on washing, waxing, polishing, detailing, cleaning and maintaining the beauty of your Lexus.

Mothers California Gold Car Wash

Search this Thread

Old 07-21-04, 06:32 PM
Losiho
Driver

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Mothers California Gold Car Wash

Does anyone here use Mothers CG Car Wash ?

Up until now, I have been using Meguiars car wash (both Gold Class and Soft Wash Gel), but I can't use these products anymore because my hands break out in a nasty skin rash I just picked up 2 64 oz bottles of California Gold, mainly because it was the only other larger, economy sized bottle of car wash available (I have to wash 4 cars every weekend, I don't want to keep buying car wash every 3-4 weeks )

Is the finish of California Gold at least as good as the Meguiars Car Washes ?
Old 07-21-04, 06:54 PM
Guitarman

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

For the most part, ANY major brand of car shampoo that's PH balanced will suffice, and they're all pretty much PH safe that way. The idea is to get the dirt safely off the car without stripping too much wax ( even car shampoo will strip *some* natural wax, believe it or not, just not anyway near as much as dish detergent ).

As long as it doesn't bother your hands (and you've got me wondering what's in the Meg's products that does that to you ) I think you'll not notice much difference in it's effectiveness or how your car looks afterward.
Old 07-21-04, 07:58 PM
Losiho
Driver

Thanks Dan.

I washed my car last weekend with the Meguiars wash, and I had a skin rash on my hands. At this stage I wasn't sure if the car wash was responsible, so I washed the car again mid week, this time wearing rubber gloves on both hands, but the rash returned and spread to my lower arms as well

There is a warning on the back of the Meguiars car wash bottles that it may cause eye and skin irritation, so I don't think I'm the only one affected.
Old 07-22-04, 12:07 PM
gmac1337
Driver

I wash my car with California Gold and it seems to work just as fine as Gold Class car wash. It doesnt seem to take away the NXT wax on my car and the car wash provides a nice shine as well. I washed it next to my friend who used his Megiars Gold Class car wash on his TSX and i didn't notice a difference between the two brands other than the fact that Gold Class smells nicer.
Old 07-22-04, 03:42 PM
Losiho
Driver

I just tried the Mothers wash for the first time - yes, it definitely does have a distinctive "bubble gum" smell.