Automotive Care & Detailing Discussions on washing, waxing, polishing, detailing, cleaning and maintaining the beauty of your Lexus.

best wax?

Search this Thread

Old 07-24-04, 08:32 AM
D2-AUTOSPORT
Former Sponsor

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally posted by jfelbab
Here is a sun shot of a Highlander I did last Saturday with NXT.

Truth be told, it's the process that counts more than the final product. This Highlander would have looked good with just about any LSP. The noteworthy things here are; NXT is widely available, very low cost and is much easier to apply and remove than just about any other LSP product. It delivers results as good as, or better than, most other products, even the expensive, boutique, web only products that have zealots.
I have to agree with you 100%, I have been using NXT for approx 3-4 months now, and I love it. The ease of application/removal and the results are excellent. I have never used Zaino, but I have used alot of the other waxes from professional detailer waxes (my father used to have a detailing business), to Zymol, etc etc. I have not found anything better than NXT (for me). To date, I have waxed my car about 4-5times in one week, just because its so fast and easy. And 4-5 coats of NXT is a beautiful sight. I also use the spray wax for quick touch up wax jobs (right before meets, etc etc)

The best thing you said is regarding the process, there is no 'miracle wax' that lets you wax it once, and maintain a showroom shine for year. I keep my car in tip top shape, by waxing it when it doesn't need wax. Repitition and basic maintenance is key.

Great Thread
Old 07-24-04, 02:46 PM
Gojirra99
Super Moderator
Senior Moderator

Received 226 Likes on 153 Posts

Meguiar's NXT
Old 07-27-04, 01:48 PM
Blanco
Lexus Test Driver

Default Re: best wax?

Originally posted by joshlee78
im sure at some point this subject has been discussed but....which wax would you recommend for my black onyx IS300? any input would be greatly appreciated. Thanks.
That's a loaded question. That's like asking someone what their favorite sexual position is. It depends on who you ask. My advice, make a prioritized list of what you want out of a wax/polish/sealer/glaze, etc. I drive a light colored GS and based on what I wanted, my list would look something like this:

1) Longevity/durability= I want to do this as infrequently as possible, but still keep the shine. Daily driver.
2) Shine/Wet Look= Light colors don't show the depth that darks do, so I wasn't concerned about depth.
3) Ease of application= It's number 3 on my list so I'm not worried too much about how easy it is to apply.
4) Price= I wanted a quality product, something that'll last and have a nice shine. I was willing to spend some $$.

Your list might be different. It's what important to you. Depth, shine, ease of application/removal, time required to apply, layerability, price, availiblity, yada, yada..... You get the idea. Having a list of priorities makes it much easier to find something that'll make you happy. My list pointed me towards Zaino. Sure there's probably something else out there that's just as good, but I'm happy with what I've done, and like Gene said "It's what works best for you". I'd heard the Zaino hype, but I always like to form my own opinions. It fit my list, and seemed pretty good, so I tried it. I"m VERY happy with the results. It's all good.

Tell us what's important to you, and I think you'll get more objective responses than that of Zaino zealots VS Everything Else. Good luck!!!

Sorry for long rant
-Michael
Old 07-30-04, 11:24 PM
Stealther
Lead Lap

Originally posted by DGOT20s
To date, I have waxed my car about 4-5times in one week, just because its so fast and easy. And 4-5 coats of NXT is a beautiful sight. I also use the spray wax for quick touch up wax jobs (right before meets, etc etc)
Ok I got a question bout this, not a flame just seeking clarification. Doesn't NXT have some cleaner properties in it? If it does, than wouldn't applying more than one coat simply replacing the coat that was already on the car for a new one of similar thickness?

Now with a pure carnuba, or a synthetic polish (without cleaning properties) would be able to have multi-coats. Right?
Old 07-31-04, 06:27 AM
jfelbab

Received 59 Likes on 46 Posts

Originally posted by Stealther
Ok I got a question bout this, not a flame just seeking clarification. Doesn't NXT have some cleaner properties in it? If it does, than wouldn't applying more than one coat simply replacing the coat that was already on the car for a new one of similar thickness?

Now with a pure carnuba, or a synthetic polish (without cleaning properties) would be able to have multi-coats. Right?
My $0.02

You are, of course, absolutely correct. Most NXT users would agree that two applications is best for an even coat but it does not layer.

The only question I would have is why would one want multiple coats of a wax (carnauba or sealant) on the car. Wax is not perfectly optically clear and the more coats applied the less optically clear the finish becomes. It's like looking through multiple layers of Saran wrap. The more layers the less clear the finish becomes. Now if your answer was because you want increased durability that lasts 6 months or more, then layering makes sense.

Most detailers would concur, that after you properly prep your car it looks as good as it can. Application of a wax or sealant only serves to protect and maintain that look.

IMHO, If your concern is for maximum durability then layer away. If you are looking for the best appearance then one or two layers of any product is all you would want.

Last edited by jfelbab; 07-31-04 at 06:31 AM.
Old 08-02-04, 11:59 AM
Marc08EX
Driver

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

I have been a Meguiars fan ever since before.. I have been using Gold class and their polish ever since and I just recently used the NXT tech wax. I absolutely love the shine and the depth it gives although my only quetion is that it doesn't give a smooth surface like the gold class (carnauba) It's kinda rough, is this normal?
Old 08-02-04, 12:41 PM
engin_ear
Everything in Moderation

Received 10 Likes on 8 Posts

To me, another converted Zaino user, the issue is NOT just the shine. While you might be able to equal the multilayer shine/depth of Zaino, wax still attracts crud and allows it to become buried in it, while there isn't much that will stick to Zaino. Just about anything that I get on my car comes off with a swipe of the finger, and it's also really easy to wash the car, the dirt practically falls off. I'm not convinced that wax really protects my paint, but I am convinced that Zaino does. Having said that, the picture of the black SC in this thread looks pretty stinkin good given that it's protecting the paint. I guess if you wax your car every week or two religiously, then it doesn't matter, but I don't.
Old 08-03-04, 08:22 PM
flipside909
Lexus Connoisseur

Received 534 Likes on 283 Posts

Meguiars does make a fine line of products, i've used them for years.
Old 08-03-04, 08:48 PM
joshlee78
Driver School Candidate

Originally posted by engin_ear
To me, another converted Zaino user, the issue is NOT just the shine. While you might be able to equal the multilayer shine/depth of Zaino, wax still attracts crud and allows it to become buried in it, while there isn't much that will stick to Zaino. Just about anything that I get on my car comes off with a swipe of the finger, and it's also really easy to wash the car, the dirt practically falls off. I'm not convinced that wax really protects my paint, but I am convinced that Zaino does. Having said that, the picture of the black SC in this thread looks pretty stinkin good given that it's protecting the paint. I guess if you wax your car every week or two religiously, then it doesn't matter, but I don't.
so i tried NXT this past weekend and was ok with the results. not i want to try zaino...where can i find this product?
Old 08-04-04, 08:48 AM
engin_ear
Everything in Moderation

Zaino's website is zainostore.com.
Old 08-04-04, 10:30 AM
jfelbab

Received 59 Likes on 46 Posts

Actually I find Zaino to be a big dust magnet. Others do to as you can see in this photo. Carnauba on the left and Zaino on the right. More here.

Last edited by jfelbab; 08-04-04 at 10:34 AM.
Old 08-04-04, 10:35 AM
engin_ear
Everything in Moderation

Actually I find Zaino to be a big dust magnet. Carnauba on the left and Zaino on the right on this photo.
Wow, that seems odd. Why would it not stick to the carnauba?
Oh, I see the problem - it's the big emblem in the middle of the grille... j/k
Old 08-04-04, 11:13 AM
Blanco
Lexus Test Driver

Wink

Actually I find Zaino to be a big dust magnet. Others do to as you can see in this photo. Carnauba on the left and Zaino on the right. More here.

Nice to finally see a difference that I've read about for some time. I'm not choosing sides here, but 1) If my GS got even as dusty as the left side of the hood I'd be washing it asap!! 2) My GS NEVER goes where the pavement doesn't go. So to me dust attraction isn't that big of an issue. Now if I lived on a farm or in a rural location, I might be inclined to be more concerned.

I guess my question would be, when you washed the ML, which half of the hood washed off easier??
Old 08-04-04, 11:23 AM
BigD026
Pit Crew

Received 6 Likes on 3 Posts

For me,
I bought some Wax at Walmart..i just got the car, so i didn't have a lot of money to go with a Zaino product..
I picked up some Mother's Carnauba wax that i knew it had decent results. I've seen it on a friends car.
A few sports car friends told me to do the clay bar thing...carbon was embedded all in the car..i didn't notice until i got started..
I picked up this kit at Advanced Auto(<not sure everyone knows what that is..it's like AutoZone).

Then i put one coat of this wax:

I have the paste on the right.

Since that time, I just hit it after a weekly car wash with polish called quick detailer...
A lot of friends with nice cars told me not to keep waxing it, but to polish it.
They were right, One decent clay barring, one coat of wax, 37car washes later..and a few polishes every 2-3weeks..it still looks like this..

I"m going to have to try that NTX or break down and order that Zaino...I think a decent quality wax will work on a lighter color car. I can understand how it would make a difference on a darker car.

Last edited by BigD026; 08-04-04 at 11:26 AM.
Old 08-05-04, 06:37 AM
joshlee78
Driver School Candidate

Zaino's website is zainostore.com.
which one do i get? Z-2, 3, 4, or 5?

Quick Reply: best wax?