Automotive Care & Detailing Discussions on washing, waxing, polishing, detailing, cleaning and maintaining the beauty of your Lexus.

best wax?

Search this Thread

Old 07-22-04, 06:14 AM
joshlee78
Driver School Candidate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Question best wax?

im sure at some point this subject has been discussed but....which wax would you recommend for my black onyx IS300? any input would be greatly appreciated. Thanks.
Old 07-22-04, 06:51 AM
TouringGS
Rookie

From the ones you can find in local stores, I like Meguiar's Hi-tech Yellow wax and Meguiar's NXT. They can last pretty long, but their longevity can variate depending on the weather/conditions kept etc.

Online, you can look for P21S Pure Paste Wax, which lasts long as well and has given me pretty good results. Blackfire's products are also good.
Old 07-22-04, 10:43 AM
lkirchner
Lead Lap

Thumbs up

I have an 04 SC 430 ,Midnight Pine Pearl, and just took delivery on an 04 LS 430, Black Onyx. I use Meguires NXT and follow up a day later withMeguires #16 High Tech wax. You cannot believe the deepness and gloss on the paint. Try it, you'll love it.
Old 07-22-04, 10:55 AM
joshlee78
Driver School Candidate

Originally posted by lkirchner
I have an 04 SC 430 ,Midnight Pine Pearl, and just took delivery on an 04 LS 430, Black Onyx. I use Meguires NXT and follow up a day later withMeguires #16 High Tech wax. You cannot believe the deepness and gloss on the paint. Try it, you'll love it.
thanks, ill try that. im assuming that you keep your car in the garage the day between the nxt and the high tech?
Old 07-22-04, 11:01 AM
lkirchner
Lead Lap

Cool

That is correct normally. However, I have driven the cars between the application of the NXT and #16.
Old 07-22-04, 11:02 AM
lexusk8
Lexus Fanatic

Received 21 Likes on 12 Posts

You can hardly go wrong with any Meguiar's product, let alone their wax lineup. I have a Black Onyx ES300, and I use Meguiar's Deep Crystal Carnauba Wax on the ES about once every 4-5 months. Leaves a brilliant mirror-finish shine (even if the car hasn't been washed for 2 weeks), and beads water like nothing after a rainfall
Old 07-22-04, 11:06 AM
sweetsc400
Lead Lap

For longevity and depth on a black car? Zaino.
Old 07-22-04, 11:25 AM
joshlee78
Driver School Candidate

Originally posted by lkirchner
That is correct normally. However, I have driven the cars between the application of the NXT and #16.
so then you wash your car again before application of the high tech wax? i apologize for my ignorance
Old 07-22-04, 11:29 AM
lkirchner
Lead Lap

Cool

Yes, only if it is driven. I do try to not drive between applications because of the additional work.
Old 07-22-04, 12:03 PM
johnee78
Lexus Champion

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally posted by sweetsc400
For longevity and depth on a black car? Zaino.
I second ZAINO...
Old 07-22-04, 12:51 PM
The_Hitman
Lexus Champion

Z A I N O

Old 07-22-04, 04:13 PM
sweetsc400
Lead Lap

Here's a black onyx SC400 a few months after zaino-ing. Enjoy!

Old 07-22-04, 05:47 PM
jfelbab

Received 59 Likes on 46 Posts

I've been detailing cars for over 45 years and have come to be able to see through manufacturer's hype. Hype doesn't shine cars or turn heads. Results speak volumes. Here is a sun shot of a Highlander I did last Saturday with NXT.

Truth be told, it's the process that counts more than the final product. This Highlander would have looked good with just about any LSP. The noteworthy things here are; NXT is widely available, very low cost and is much easier to apply and remove than just about any other LSP product. It delivers results as good as, or better than, most other products, even the expensive, boutique, web only products that have zealots.

It's best not to get all hung up on the product hype. There is no "Best Wax" for everyone. Spend your money on products that give you the results you like. If it makes you feel better to spend several times more to get the same results then that's fine for you. I'll continue to concentrate on results and value for my customers.

Old 07-22-04, 06:04 PM
/Aerostar\
Pole Position

Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts

I love my Klasse AIO/SG with Eagle One Nanowax topper
Old 07-24-04, 12:58 AM
sweetsc400
Lead Lap

Originally posted by genearch
And that means exactly what?

I could post an equally shiny shot of my SC430..

Too many people get caught in the Zaino hype. To each their own, but since I'm a picky SOB with my car, Zaino doesn't cut it for me.
That means that I was attempting to provide feedback for a CL member who asked what wax works for a black onyx Lexus. And I would surely hope that your 1 year old SC430 is SHINIER than that 9 year old SC400 (it's most likely not) .

Too many people get "caught" by the Zaino hype? Maybe those people that get caught are testimonials for a good product. I didn't get caught by anything, I simply discovered the most effective paint finish product I've come across in my 10 years of detailing. Did you happen to notice that the moderator for the detailing forum supports Zaino? I'm well aware that there are other good products but, after all, opinions were asked for at the beginning of this thread, not negative remarks. . .

I'm a picky SOB, too. That's exactly the reason I use Zaino on my paint finish, and nothing else. . .

Take care.

Quick Reply: best wax?