Automotive Care & Detailing Discussions on washing, waxing, polishing, detailing, cleaning and maintaining the beauty of your Lexus.

Swirl remover prior to applying ZAINO??

Search this Thread

Old 07-28-04, 12:42 PM
johnee78
Lexus Champion

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Default Swirl remover prior to applying ZAINO??

I wanted to know if using an abrasive swirl remover prior to applying zaino would give a better shine???I was thinking of using clearkotes moose hand glaze and then topping it off with zaino..I have no complaints about the shine I get now with zaino but I would like to experiment and see what other shine qualties I can achieve with using other products to prep my paint prior to sealing ..
Old 07-28-04, 01:51 PM
Guitarman

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

I was thinking of using clearkotes moose hand glaze
Johnee, although I've never used that product, if it's truly a hand glaze like Meguiar's #7 Show Car Glaze or 3M Imperial Hand Glaze, you won't be able to use that prior to applying Zaino, because hand glazes contain oils that will prevent Zaino from bonding. You'd be wasting your time adding Zaino over it.

Now, you can certainly use a fine polish as a swirl remover to try and eliminate minor swirls and spider webbing, and bring up the shine a bit (if it can be brought up from where it is now). I recommend you try a body shop safe polish from 3M that has no silicones or fillers, such as Machine Glaze, or Finesse-It II Finishing Material, or Menzerna Intensive polish or Final Polish II . They will leave the paint glossy and not interfere with a sealant like Zaino. If you do a simple car wash with car shampoo after the polishing phase, you can be assured there aren't trace polish residues left afterward. Isopropyl alcohol & water mix will also work if you don't want to break out the wash bucket. . Then, just Zaino away.

Last edited by Guitarman; 07-28-04 at 01:52 PM.
Old 07-28-04, 02:03 PM
johnee78
Lexus Champion

Thumbs up Thanks again guitarman...

I have heard of Menzerna products and could you post their website if you have it available??I just want to try other steps to get an even better shine..I think I will try Menzerna polish and then seal it with zaino..If you have any other suggestions I am open to suggestions..
Old 07-28-04, 03:15 PM
jfelbab

Received 58 Likes on 45 Posts

Have you seen this thread on the Autopia site? It is comparing Zaino to Meguiar's NXT Tech Wax.

Old 07-28-04, 09:54 PM
johnee78
Lexus Champion

Originally posted by jfelbab
Have you seen this thread on the Autopia site? It is comparing Zaino to Meguiar's NXT Tech Wax.

I saw that thread on autopia, but you don't know if the owner who supposedly applied 12 coats of zaino properly prepped the surface..The key to getting a great shine is preparation and if you have swirl marks and don't remove them before applying zaino, it will only enhance what is already there..that article doesn't give the details of what was done ..Now I'm not saying that nxt is a bad product because I have seen what a great shine it can give and I'm not saying that zaino is the best either, but I have not had a negative(swirls) experiance with zaino and I get a great shine after my car has been prepped and sealed...I only posted this thread because I want to experiment, not because I'm dissapointed with the results that I have ..