Automotive Care & Detailing Discussions on washing, waxing, polishing, detailing, cleaning and maintaining the beauty of your Lexus.

Curb rash on the front of TTE Lip?

Search this Thread

Old 07-29-04, 06:06 PM
pat14lee
Pole Position

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Curb rash on the front of TTE Lip? (UPDATED w/ PICS)

Ok, I really pulled into a parking spot too far and have some small/medium scratches on the front of my TTE lip. Is there anything that I can do to fix this? Sanding with very fine sandpaper? Anything? Or is my only option to go to a body shop...

Thanks,
Patrick

Last edited by pat14lee; 08-02-04 at 09:27 AM.
Old 07-30-04, 09:55 AM
Guitarman

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Patrick, without seeing the extent of the scratches, it would be hard to form a plan of attack.

Also, is the lip bare polished aluminum or is it clearcoated?
Old 07-30-04, 10:22 AM
Neo
The One

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

Originally posted by Guitarman
Patrick, without seeing the extent of the scratches, it would be hard to form a plan of attack.

Also, is the lip bare polished aluminum or is it clearcoated?
He is talking about a body part and not a wheel. Sorry to hear Patrick as I know you just put on this lip. The bottom of my lip is somewhat scratched up to from coming out of driveways. I've also bumped into those parking blocks once or twice.
Old 07-30-04, 10:24 AM
DaveGS4
Forum Administrator

Received 2,310 Likes on 1,409 Posts

I've alway had mine resurfaced and repainted for the rash because the plastic gets roughed up pretty bad.

On mine since it's black, I can cover up with touch up and it isn't as noticeable as other colors.
Old 07-30-04, 10:47 AM
pat14lee
Pole Position

Originally posted by Neo
He is talking about a body part and not a wheel. Sorry to hear Patrick as I know you just put on this lip. The bottom of my lip is somewhat scratched up to from coming out of driveways. I've also bumped into those parking blocks once or twice.
I'm still kicking myself over this... I was talking to my wife and just not paying attention pulling into a parking spot... unbelievable!

At a second glance today, it's not all that bad. I think I'll take Dave's advice and just get it resurfaced and repainted every so often. I'll take some pictures this afternoon and repost.

Thanks,
Patrick
Old 07-30-04, 12:36 PM
Guitarman

My bad guys, I have been seeing some posts on wheel lips lately and it went right over my head.

I'll take a shot at it if you get some pics up.
Old 08-02-04, 09:28 AM
pat14lee
Pole Position

Pics are up.
Attached Thumbnails Curb rash on the front of TTE Lip?-25557img_1613-med.jpg  
Old 08-02-04, 10:56 AM
Guitarman

Pat, they look too deep to compound out, it's been gouged down to the substrate in a few places, from all appearances. You can make them less obvious with some buffing, but they'll still be noticeable. Ditto on touch-up paint, That kind of extended scraping would look just about as bad with touch up paint filling it all in, but it depends on your priorities too.

It shouldn't cost you an arm and a leg to have it repainted (around $100 is a guess), and that's the only option if "perfect" is your goal. Now...

...It *would* be possible to sand it down yourself, and spray some shaker can paint on ONLY that outer edge of the lip. You could tape off the rest of the piece and use that ridge line to delineate with, saving you from having to paint the whole part, and the color matching requirements associated with that. The shaker can method would be cheap, and if it didn't match perfect you might not notice it too much if just that 1" edge gets painted, because of the design line there. You could wetsand the paint line right where the moulded line begins, making the transition close to invisible if you're careful enough. A paint shop may be able to go that route too if you want, saving you a little $$$. Just that 1 inch edge band, instead of the whole piece. Still shouldn't be a lot if they respray the whole thing, IMO.

In the interim, if you want to hit it with some Scratch X or 3M rubbing compound, you can slightly clean it up. Best of luck.
Old 08-02-04, 12:07 PM
pat14lee
Pole Position

Dan, thank you for the very informative reply. I'm still trying to figure out what I want to do with this... I'll keep you updated.

Thanks again.