Automotive Care & Detailing Discussions on washing, waxing, polishing, detailing, cleaning and maintaining the beauty of your Lexus.

Where to by Meguiars NXT wax?

Search this Thread

Old 09-02-04, 09:43 PM
Neo
The One

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

Thanks guys, NXT really is easier to use than Zaino. I'm only using NXT on my MDX though and not my GS. I actually bought it to put on my new wheels since I felt it a waste to mix up a batch of Zaino just for the wheels. (I did not have time to wash the car too. ) The durability issue only came up in some of my reading on different forums. It has not rained here in CA for months and the cars are garaged so I could not verify.
Old 09-03-04, 08:01 AM
engin_ear
Everything in Moderation

Received 10 Likes on 8 Posts

I'd say that NXT is only SLIGHTLY easier to use than Zaino. It only takes 2-3 mins to mix up a batch of Zaino. Once you have it mixed, it is NO different to put on or take off. I now have NXT on my wife's RX, and Zaino on my GS. I can say without question that the NXT on the RX is holding more street crud than the Zaino is, stuff tends to stick to (or in) it more than the Zaino. I think this is mainly due to the fact that NXT apparently has some wax in it in addition to the polymers. (If you look on the box, it says "Tech Wax" and NOWHERE does it say that it is wax-free, it just indicates that it has non-wax polymers included in the ingredients.)

My .02.
Old 09-03-04, 02:23 PM
jfelbab

Received 59 Likes on 46 Posts

Originally posted by engin_ear
I'd say that NXT is only SLIGHTLY easier to use than Zaino. It only takes 2-3 mins to mix up a batch of Zaino. Once you have it mixed, it is NO different to put on or take off. I now have NXT on my wife's RX, and Zaino on my GS. I can say without question that the NXT on the RX is holding more street crud than the Zaino is, stuff tends to stick to (or in) it more than the Zaino. I think this is mainly due to the fact that NXT apparently has some wax in it in addition to the polymers. (If you look on the box, it says "Tech Wax" and NOWHERE does it say that it is wax-free, it just indicates that it has non-wax polymers included in the ingredients.)

My .02.
Meguiar's has been explicitly stated on their forum that there is no conventional wax in NXT. According to Meguiar's people it is a 100% synthetic polymer formula. Here is the MSDS for the product and there is no wax listed.
Chemical nature of the preparation
Water 40-60%
Isoparaffinic Hydrocarbon 15-25%
Calcined Kaolin Clay 5-15%
Polysiloxane 2-10%
Conditioners 2-6%
Synthetic Polymer Blend 3-5%
Hydrotreated Distillate 1-5%
Polyglycerol Ester 1-5 %
My experience with Zaino is slightly different from yours. For me, Zaino is a dust magnet. Here is an example of a carnauba wax on the left and Zaino on the right in this photo. This vehicle was taken off-road in Death Valley and as you can see Zaino has an affinity for dust. This is my experience and one reason I stopped using Zaino.
Old 09-03-04, 02:46 PM
engin_ear
Everything in Moderation

Originally posted by jfelbab
Meguiar's has been explicitly stated on their forum that there is no conventional wax in NXT. According to Meguiar's people it is a 100% synthetic polymer formula. Here is the MSDS for the product and there is no wax listed.

My experience with Zaino is slightly different from yours. For me, Zaino is a dust magnet. Here is an example of a carnauba wax on the left and Zaino on the right in this photo. This vehicle was taken off-road in Death Valley and as you can see Zaino has an affinity for dust. This is my experience and one reason I stopped using Zaino.
Thanks for the ingredients.
OK, so what's the second ingredient, Isoparaffinic Hydrocarbon? Wax, but not conventional wax?
There is something WAXY in it, you can FEEL it. It has a distinctly different feel than Zaino. (That isn't necessarily good or bad.)

jfelbab, when I see your picture, the only thing I think is that there may be another factor in why you accumulated the dust on that day, I can't understand why the carnauba wouldn't have the dust on it as well, there may have been an electrostaic component to all this, depending on the conditions in which you were driving. (I don't really mean to negate what your showing/saying, I guess there may be something to it, just that I don't have this problem.) All I can say is that whenever I use something other than Zaino, including NXT, stuff gets stuck in it and it's more work to remove it when I wash the car, and I do not have this problem with Zaino, anything that gets on it pretty much comes right off with one easy wipe during car washing. This is what tells me that the paint is protected - if it wasn't for this, I'd switch to NXT in a New York second.
Old 09-03-04, 03:26 PM
jfelbab

Originally posted by engin_ear
Thanks for the ingredients.
OK, so what's the second ingredient, Isoparaffinic Hydrocarbon? Wax, but not conventional wax?
There is something WAXY in it, you can FEEL it. It has a distinctly different feel than Zaino. (That isn't necessarily good or bad.)
FWIW, I've been told that Isoparaffinic Hydrocarbon is a chemical cleaning solvent not to be confused with parrafin wax. This is used to help achieve a good bond for the blend of synthetic polymers.

And I didn't mean to suggest that your experience with NXT was untrue. It just differs from mine and that is ok. This would be a dull would if everyone agreed on everything. If you felt that I was disputing your experience, I apologize. My intent was to offer my experience with Zaino and one of my reasons for no longer using it, not to in any way dispute what your experience is.

Last edited by jfelbab; 09-03-04 at 03:26 PM.
Old 09-07-04, 06:34 AM
engin_ear
Everything in Moderation

Originally posted by jfelbab
And I didn't mean to suggest that your experience with NXT was untrue. It just differs from mine and that is ok. This would be a dull would if everyone agreed on everything. If you felt that I was disputing your experience, I apologize. My intent was to offer my experience with Zaino and one of my reasons for no longer using it, not to in any way dispute what your experience is.
Ditto, same here. It just makes me wonder why the experiences are so different, and what other factors other than the coating might be involved.
Old 09-19-04, 08:39 PM
GSspeed
Lead Lap

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

okay, so initially, NXT looks great easily applied, and easliy removed, and same goes for ZAINO, + 2 min for mixing, so in conclusion, which one is better.

NXT,
or
ZAINO,
Old 09-19-04, 09:32 PM
jfelbab

There is no "best" wax for everyone. They're both good. Both have a strong, loyal following. NXT doesn't require mixing and is available at many local retail establishments. NXT is considerably less expensive than Zaino. Zaino is only available via the web. Everytime you need a part, i.e. Z2, Z5, Z6, Z7, ZFX,etc. you need to order it and wait. Zaino is much more complex to use in that they suggest multiple layers are needed.

According to the Zaino site you will need these:
Q: I've heard nothing but good things about Zaino products. I'd like a show car finish. What products do I need?

A: For the ultimate in show car appearance, it is vital to get the cleanest and smoothest finish possible. We recommend washing the car with original blue Liquid Dawn only for this initial cleaning. Once you have your vehicle completely washed, follow up with the Z-18 Claybar, to remove any surface contamination. Follow up the Z-18 Claybar with a thorough wash using our Z-7 Show Car Wash.

For any Zaino polish application, it's critical to include either ZFX OR Z-1 Polish Lok. For that show car finish, we prefer to use ZFX with Z-2 Show Car Polish. ZFX replaces Z-1 and is superior to Z-1. Z-2 Show Car Polish should be applied with our 314 Polish Aplicator pad. The key to our ultimate shine, is multiple thin layers of Z-2, with Z-6 between application. The results with just two coats of Z-2 are amazing.

If your finish contains fine scratches or swirl marks, Z-5 Show Car Polish will safely fill and level minor imperfections. As you layer Z-5, these imperfections will disappear!

So for the ultimate, your shopping list includes ZFX (or Z-1), Z-2, Z-6, Z-7, Z-18 and a couple of #314's applicator pads. For minor imperfections, pick up some Z-5. If you're working on a paint finish that doesn't have a clear coat, simply replace Z-2 with Z-3.
Zaino sells the starter kit (ZKit-1)for $84.70

For your use of NXT you would use;
1. NXT Tech Wash 64oz @ $6.99,
2. Quik Clay Detailing System @ $9.99
3. ScratchX @ $6.99
4. NXT Generation Tech Wax 18oz @ $14.99
5. NXT Generation Tech Booster Spray Wax @ $6.99
T O T A L = $45.95

Both yield good results in terms of gloss and durability. You should try one system or the other and see if you like it.

Last edited by jfelbab; 09-19-04 at 09:35 PM.