Automotive Care & Detailing Discussions on washing, waxing, polishing, detailing, cleaning and maintaining the beauty of your Lexus.

Meguiar's Detail Day in Irvine, WOW!

Search this Thread

Old 08-10-04, 08:28 AM
joel5150
Lead Lap

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Meguiar's Detail Day in Irvine, WOW!

Ok, A buddy of mine asked if I would like to go to a Meguiar's Detail Day with him. His club was only going to have about 12 cars show up, so they had some room for extra people.

He is in a mustang club, and owns a 1994 Green mustang that I have helped him detail many times before. Not the best paint job, but I know that after a few hours of work, I have had the car looking pretty darn good.

So on a Saturday Morning I got up vary early, met the group, and headed for Meguiar's headquarters in Irvine (about 20 minutes from where I live) CA.

They greeted us and we went through about a 2 hour class on what to look for before you start cleaning your car, and how to get the results you want. Then it was time to take the info and use it for real.

Mike Phillips inspected the cars and picked two of them to work on. One just happened to be my friends’ car. Lets just say that he had some serious spider webs going on in the clear coat that I had never been able to get out by hand.

Mike taped the hood down the center so that we could compare sides once he had worked on one. He did a small section by hand with ScratchX and then had all of us try it out to see the way it works. Once we had finished practicing on the hood, he brought out the dual action polisher. He used a paint cleaner (Meguiar's #83 Dual Action Cleaner/Polish) to work out some more of the fine scratches, and I was very excited to find out that we would all get to try the DA polisher. So we lined up and all took turns working more of the cleaner into the paint. After we applied polish and buffed it off, we pulled the car out to see the difference.

All I can say is wow! I was so impressed with the fact that not only was there less scratches in the paint, but that the work we had done actually made the paint look new, and added an incredible depth that it had not seen since it had first been off the assembly line. We pulled the car back in, took off the tape, and did the other half of the hood just using the DA polisher. After we had caught up on the other side, we applied a coat of the new NXT Generation car wax to the hood, and again pulled it out in the sun to see the results. The depth was incredible and my friend just stood there gawking at the fact that the reflection of the sky and the trees that he saw in the newly reborn paint was crisp and clear like it had never been before.

Now I have used many products in the past, and I will say right now, I don't knock any of them, but I was very impressed not only with the class, but the way the products preformed and the fact that I could get such awesome results by hand also. I learned a lot from the class, and have to say that if anyone here ever gets a chance to go to one of these classes, do it!

I plan on trying to get a OCCL group together for one of these demos as soon as I can. You can learn more on the Meguiar's forum. It is a great source for detailing info. http://www.meguiarsonline.com/forums/

Oh, and I would post pics, but they are re posting them to the site, so they are not available yet. When they are I will drop a link on here.
Old 08-10-04, 09:52 AM
Lexkost
Lexus Champion

Received 8 Likes on 6 Posts

joel5150, Great idea let's do it ! !
Old 08-10-04, 09:57 AM
lexusk8
Lexus Fanatic

Received 21 Likes on 12 Posts

The Meguiar's detailing demonstration class sounds like fun, something I wish was offered here in the Northeast, home of the unpredictable weather..
Old 08-17-04, 11:19 PM
bunmango
Driver School Candidate

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post

Mike Phillips is a great guy - a top notch professional, and perhaps one of the best detailers I have seen work in person. I met Mike along with a few other Autopians at the Meguiars/Autopia meet a few months back. All of them were very friendly and helpful, both in person at the meet and online.
Old 08-18-04, 11:58 PM
toy4two
Lexus Champion

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default oil

so you can put NXT wax over Scratch X with Dual Action Cleaner Polish?

I thought Scratch X had fillers and oil and a polymer like NXT would not stick right to that?

Can you go over the steps again,

He did Scratch X first? Then Dual Action Polish / Cleaner, and last NXT.

I would think Scratch X would be just before NXT. Did you guys do the whole car in Scratch X? Was the side with Scratch X and Dual Action Polish / Cleaner better than just Dual Action Polish / Cleaner any better?
Old 08-19-04, 10:42 AM
bunmango
Driver School Candidate

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post

Not all polymers have an issue bonding to oily surfaces - the ones that do (that come to mind) are Zaino, Klasse SG, and Four Star UPP. Polymers such as NXT, Wolfgang, Poorboy's EX, and EX-P do not have issues bonding to glazes. I personally have had great success using Clearkote's Vanilla Moose Hand Glaze topped with Poorboy's EX-P.

As for your Scratch-X question, there are products that are designed to work well by hand, for the average consumer (Scratch-X and the maroon bottle line) and there are products that are designed to work better with a buffer (rotary or DA) From my understanding, Scratch-X was intended to remove spot scratches, not to polish out entire panels.

Joel mentioned that they used the PC w/ DACP to follow up the Scratch-X "to work out some more of the fine scratches" which implies that the Scratch-X by hand may have left some scratches behind.

The products that Mike uses at these seminars differ from time to time, but his goal isn't to determine which product is the best. Instead, his goal is show you the proper process entailed in making your finish look the way you like, regardless of which products you use.
Old 08-19-04, 08:23 PM
jfelbab

Received 59 Likes on 46 Posts

I can also attest to the combination of NXT Tech Wax (polymer sealant) over #81 Professional Hand Polish. I have not seen any hint of bonding issues with this combo and the results are head-turning.