Automotive Care & Detailing Discussions on washing, waxing, polishing, detailing, cleaning and maintaining the beauty of your Lexus.

Need help.. How to remove tar from leather seat?

Search this Thread

Old 08-15-04, 08:36 AM
JCHO
Rookie

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Need help.. How to remove tar from leather seat?

Other day, my daughter walked on freshly paved road and got in the back seat of my car. While in her "safety seat", she put/rubbed bottom of her shoes on the seat, smearing tar all over it. Tar is spread over approximately 6-8 inches across the seat.

I was wondering if anyone can give me some advise on cleaning this thing. I was thinking about buying a Goo Gone but wanted to get some advice before I go out and buy one.

Thanks!
Old 08-17-04, 10:06 AM
Guitarman

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

First, have you tried a leather cleaner like Lexol? If you work it slowly it might just do the trick, and it's the safest approach. Use a lot of it if you need to, with a soft white cloth, turning the cloth frequently as to avoid reapplying the removed tar.

Fast Orange hand cleaner will also work, but you should test that too. The Goo Gone will work, BUT, you will have to first test it on an inconspicuous spot on the underside of the seat, and see if it removes the poly coating on the leather, or the dye. If it doesn't try applying some to a damp cloth and don't rub hard. Solvents like that are generally a no-no, because they can remove the polyurethane coating, but I've had success with things like that where there was no other option, by first testing to see what happens, on the underside of the seat base. Use a leather conditioner on it afterward if you use the latter 2 options. Good luck.
Old 08-17-04, 02:58 PM
JCHO
Rookie

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Thanks Guitarman!!

I have tried Lexol leather cleaner and did not work. I will try other methods tomorrow. Anythings got to be better than what I have now.