Automotive Care & Detailing Discussions on washing, waxing, polishing, detailing, cleaning and maintaining the beauty of your Lexus.

Egged Car, help?

Search this Thread

Old 08-19-04, 09:30 PM
tonytony
Driver

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Egged Car, help?

Okay....

I'm pretty much calmed down now to the point where I can think rationally about this now. Lets just say some jackass kids thought it would be funny to egg cars along the street where i work. My car and another co-worker, opposite ends of the street. He got three, i got two...

I searched around and the best advice is to wash it off as soon as possible. Since it was really dark, all I could do was hose it off at work. But I discovered the second one at home, and i don't have a hose now. What I did was use Meguir's QD, sprayed that sucker down then wiped it off. That was on my front passenger side hood.

The one I sprayed off with a hose is actually the jackass grinding an egg into my driver side mirror. Its pretty much stuck up in the crevices and stuff. I think i managed to get it all out, but I can already feel the scratch marks left by the egg.

My question is for the hood and also for the scratches on the mirror's surrounding, can i wait till tomorrow morning to really clean the hood and deal with the scratches? I can't really tell if the rest of car is okay or not, it looks okay, but I can't really see in the dark.

*calming down*....its been a heck of a day...

Tony
Old 08-19-04, 09:43 PM
TRD-bB
Pole Position

Sorry it hear that, some kids really need a good beating!!!

Even though your clear coat is not bullet proof, it is still pretty tough stuff.

Try polish your scratch off , I personally use 3M hand glaze.
Follow it up with a few coats of wax.

I know its pretty basic stuff, but I hope your car will be alright
Old 08-19-04, 10:40 PM
Guitarman

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Rinsing it down asap was a very good move, that may have saved you some paintwork.

One thing about eggs and bird bombs;

Carry a spray bottle of isopropyl alcohol & water ( 50/50) in the car, because if either happens, spraying it on them asap it will act as a drying agent to remove / flush the acids out. Water is sometimes not enough, especially on bird bombs ( don't ask me how I know this). You can still do this before you go to bed, if you have time, on the egged areas, it'll add some extra forgiveness in case the water didn't get all the acids.

Tomorrow you can give us a report on what you see and we can help you on an approach to fix any (hopefully) slight damage or scratches.

People are just plain ...mean.
Old 08-20-04, 07:22 AM
tonytony
Driver

Okay,

Thanks for the replies guys. I didn't get a chance to try the isopropyl alcohol & water spray till this morning. I was able to get a closer look around. Well, from what I can tell, the most damage is to my driver mirror surroundings, and that is just some scratches right next to the driver window seal right below the mirror. Its gonna be a pain to buff those scratches out.

As for the hood, I have to do a complete wash to really see, as it also rained the night before, partically a monsoon (before the egging incident). The waterspots are making it hard to see what's going on, but I did the alcohol and water thing to the general area of the hood hit and its looks alright. I'm just worried because I've seen what a egg hit can do to a car even if taken care of immediately. My buddy got his done in one Halloweeen and there is just an area of chipped paint in the shape of a ellipsoid. I love and baby my car and I would hate to have it happen, especially on a black vehicle, it will show up more easily.

I did find another spot which the egg protein was left behind and missed last night. It totally dried up and even with the alcohol, it took a little rubbing to get off.

Thanks again guys....

If i ever find those kids..........
Old 08-20-04, 08:47 AM
b1gredek
Lexus Test Driver

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

same thing happened to my buddies car, his rear view mirrow also got scared pretty bad, maybe cause of the plastic, at least u were able to hose it down immediately, the worse thing u can do is let an egg sit on your car over night. good luck
Old 08-26-04, 01:44 PM
tonytony
Driver

Well...after a few days, washing it down, letting it sit, the damage finally comes out fully. I wasn't able to see anything the first time aroud, but the damage showed up all right. In the first picture, you can see where they threw the egg and hit the car. Is there anything i can do about this?

The second picture is a "residue" drip from when they smashed up the egg against my driver side mirror. I already took alchol and water solution on it and it dried to something like this. The drip mark is right where the mirror meets the door.
Attached Thumbnails Egged Car, help?-egged.jpg  
Old 08-26-04, 01:46 PM
tonytony
Driver

2nd
Attached Thumbnails Egged Car, help?-drip.jpg  
Old 08-26-04, 03:56 PM
Guitarman

Tony, In both areas, I would say that you'll need a rubbing compound at least, and possibly even minor wetsanding to remove or reduce them. The "drip" may come out cleanly with just some rubbing compound and then a finer polish. The scratching is more likely to need either a heavy cut compound or wetsanding.

Tell me what you feel up to trying and I'll give you some things to buy. I can also leave you with this link with an article I wrote on wetsanding;

http://www.fordvschevy.com/forum/showthread.php?t=46645

Your other option is to take it to a detailer and pay them to get it looking as good as possible.

Last edited by Guitarman; 08-27-04 at 04:38 PM.
Old 08-26-04, 04:26 PM
link13
Lead Lap

Received 46 Likes on 40 Posts

Tony, I would recommend that you get the Mothers Clay Bar kit and use that to remove the egg residue. Pep Boys and most other auto-related stores have the clay bar kits (it doesn't have to be Mother's either). There are instructions on the box telling you how to use the clay bar kit. I have found that it does a great job removing hard water spots, oxidation and almost everything else from the paint surface. It won't do much for scratches, but it should get that egg crap off of your car with no problem.
Old 08-30-04, 07:32 AM
tonytony
Driver

Guys thx for the help...

I spent the weekend working on the drip and finally was able to get it to the point where you can't even tell anymore. It was very slight to begin with and you can only see it in the sun at an angle, but no more. As for the other one...

Well...I am seriously debating, wetsanding sounds like a serious job, taking probably a few hours if not days to do. As you can see from the picture, it is only the top part of the door, right below the window. If I DO wetsand, do I have to do the whole door panel to match? or can i pick a line on the door and stop there? (like halfway down, or to the trim line?) I was going to get my car re-sprayed to get monotone, but I wasn't ready for it, my mods haven't been fully put in place and I wanted to see how it looked with dual-tone. Now this happens and I'm thinking I should up the schedule. What do you all think?

Guitarman, read the article, good stuff, but as your article stated, I can DEFINITELY feel the scratches with my fingers and its white underneath, which tells me it is straight throught clear and into the primer. I think I may live with a touchup mark, but I don't know.. It sucks that it is on the driver side, I see EVERYTIME I get in the car....
Old 08-30-04, 12:38 PM
Guitarman

Tony, glad you made some difference in it.

As far as wetsanding goes, you would only need to sand around the areas where the damage is- not the whole panel. You do have to spread it out slightly around the damage, to blend otherwise you will be sanding away the orange peel-and if you do it in one tiny spot it might be too obvious as far as paint texture difference. You'd have a flat area that reflects truer than the rest of the panel if you weren't careful, so you sand a few inches in each direction in the periphery of the damage. and that fools the eye better when it's shined up.

It also won't take all day, it's actually pretty fast for small areas like that. an hour or 2 tops (I could do it in 1/2 hour ) You can only sand so much, when you make a few passes and see little or no orange peel left in that area of the damage, you have to stop anyway, even if the etching is still there. Then you use a rubbing compound and finally a polish, and you're done.
Experienced wetsanders know when to syop, and can cut abit more, but the beginner has to err on the "safe" side, and that means; when the orange peel is flat, you're done.

Yes, taking away more paint might remove the damage, but it will also remove more of the UV inhibitors in the paint, which is bad for the paint's longevity. It's a tossup and you have to walk a fine line on what's best for the car owner's needs.

Last edited by Guitarman; 08-30-04 at 12:39 PM.