Automotive Care & Detailing Discussions on washing, waxing, polishing, detailing, cleaning and maintaining the beauty of your Lexus.

black leather discoloration

Search this Thread

Old 08-22-04 | 12:47 PM
shadow
Driver

Smile black leather discoloration

just got my car back from the paint shop and noticed a couple of whitish splatter marks on the driver seat. so i proceeded with pinnacle leather cleaner to try and clean the spots. obviously i used to much pressure when scrubing b/c now the area looks ashy as if i removed some of the dye. is there a leather dye which i can use to bring back the color. PLEASE HELP!!!!!!!1
Old 08-22-04 | 01:49 PM
Guitarman

Hmmm. did the white splatter look like paint or possibly buffing compound? I was wondering if it was rubbing compound from the body shop's finishing work (if they left the windows open (weird that they would ) and the abrasives in it did the dulling when you tried to remove it. It would take a lot of splatter to do that though... anyway,,,enough guessing;

I was wondering if you could take a pic of it and post it so we could give you the best advice. Yes, there are dyes you can apply yourself, but seeing the leather might give us another option.

SEM and DuPont both make professional quality spray dyes, but you'd have to have either a compressed air cannister or airbrush or paint spray gun ( and compressor) to apply them. You can get them anywhere automotive paint is sold, and they mix it according to your interior trim code. They alos sell the polyurethane clearcoat that goes on top of the color, for better matching, the correct patina, and better durability.

Now, AutoZone, Advance Auto etc. sell the shaker can variety of the dye, but you're stuck with the colors they offer, and I'm betting the black they sell in those shaker cans is not going to match your Lexus leather, probably not even close..

If you decide you want to spray it, I have done quite a bit of it (whole interiors) so let me know. But if you can post a pic, we might be able to come up with an easier solution. Worth a try at least..