Automotive Care & Detailing Discussions on washing, waxing, polishing, detailing, cleaning and maintaining the beauty of your Lexus.

Any tips for washing "extra dirty' cars?

Search this Thread

Old 08-23-04, 04:01 PM
DaveGS4
Forum Administrator

Received 2,305 Likes on 1,406 Posts
Default Any tips for washing "extra dirty' cars?

I went on our annual 'Tail of the Dragon' meet this weekend in the NC/TN Smoky Mountains. Had a great time, but during the meet my car was subjected to:

8+ hours of highway driving to/from in the Southern summertime (bugs)
Rain
Gravel / dirt roads and lots
More Rain
6 hours of backroad drives on wet roads following other cars
Heavy braking (lots of dust on the wheels)

My car is nasty dirty

What tips do you have for washing an extra nasty car like this to protect my finish?

My plan so far:
- lots of water during the wash, extra soap for lubrication
- rinse off loose dirty first
- I ususally use two mitts (one for top parts of car, one for the bottom). Tempted to buy a new one just for the initial wash
- Wash twice. Once for 80% off, the second time to get it really clean.

Any other tips or ideas?

Last edited by DaveGS4; 08-23-04 at 04:02 PM.
Old 08-23-04, 05:06 PM
Guitarman

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Default Sounds pretty good to me Dave

The "2 bucket" method, highly prized at Autopia, might help too;

http://www.autopia.org/forums/showth...+bucket+method

Accumulator's "extreme wash method" is a lot to swallow, but if you're so inclined;

http://www.autopia.org/forums/showth...+bucket+method

The main thing is to use at least 2-3 wash mitts, (one dedicated for the wheels can't hurt ). I guess overkill doesn't come into play when you're obsessing in this way.

Keep your pressure very light, and the surface lubricated at all times. A "pail filter" can't hurt either, it'll help keep the heavy grit at the bottom of the pail and away from the mitt when dunked. Dump it frequently and start fresh. Other than all this, and what you're already doing, there isn't much more I can think of that hasn't been mentioned.

BTW, the car still looks pretty damn good even dirty.

Last edited by Guitarman; 08-23-04 at 05:08 PM.
Old 08-23-04, 05:35 PM
sweetsc400
Lead Lap

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

If my car is really dirty, I always rinse of the wash mitt or sponge after going over a section of the car and then dip it back into the bucket, that way most of the harsh stuff gets rinsed off onto the ground. Simple and effective. And, yes, your car does still look good. Very nice looking car!

Matt
Old 08-23-04, 07:58 PM
DaveGS4
Forum Administrator

Received 2,305 Likes on 1,406 Posts

Thanks guys.

Anything special for the clearcoated chrome lips on wheels? Those are probably my biggest area of concern since they are still pretty new and I don't want to scratch them up. Just use the same routine and new water?

Edit - I also recently bought one of the Home Depot Husky water pressures to clean up some stuff around the house. Will it hurt or help to use it for an initial wash off to get the surface dirt off (both car and wheels)?

Last edited by DaveGS4; 08-23-04 at 08:19 PM.
Old 08-23-04, 10:07 PM
Guitarman

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Dave, the wheels & lips should be treated as the rest of the car, gently. Car wash shampoo will suffice.

You can use the power washer, as long as you keep the pressure mild, not much above hose pressure. I've seen people tear trim, poorly prepped paint and fake chrome off cars with those when set near the highest pressure ( why they didn't know any better is anyones guess), but I've also known people who've used them intelligently on cars for years without problems.

I've never used one to wash (I don't even own one right now believe it or not- but I'd like to) but I see no problem with them used with thought behind it.

Last edited by Guitarman; 08-23-04 at 10:08 PM.