Automotive Care & Detailing Discussions on washing, waxing, polishing, detailing, cleaning and maintaining the beauty of your Lexus.

Tar

Search this Thread

Old 08-26-04, 11:24 AM
NT2SHBBY
Lexus Test Driver

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally posted by BA_GS400
I can unequivocally guarantee you that both Kerosene and GooGone will NOT hurt your paint. You will strip the wax finish off of course, but your clear-coat will be factory perfect.

Both are excellent at getting tar/bugs/gummy/sticky things off. The kerosene is cheaper, but the goo-gone is more handy in it's little bottle. It's actually a CLEAR plastic bottle (around 6-8oz) but the label is a black background. HomeDepot and Lowes have it as well.
AUTOMOTIVE Goo Gone is in a black bottle, and I know because I just checked it on lunch
Old 08-26-04, 11:32 AM
PHML
Master Thread Closer!!

Received 9 Likes on 9 Posts

I use this spcial paint acrylic cleaner...great stuff...takes out everything with ease....paint overspray, tar, gum, tree sap, etc......LOL!!! Main thing is to wash it down ASAP when done cleaning ....then slap on a coat of wax (Zaino for me).

Its actually similar to the cleaner provided before putting on the TTE front lip.

Pete
Old 08-26-04, 12:30 PM
Guitarman

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

The only thing to watch out for when considering all these different types of solvents to use on paint, is whether they contain xlyene ( pronounced "Z-eye-leen") because the paint manufacturers cite it can cause damage to clearcoats and urethanes, notably crazing/checking (tiny cracks in the paint) and not always right away - it may take a year to develop. Gasoline has xylene in it, lacquer thinner, even kerosene has a tiny amount ( about~1%). Kerosene was used by many on paint years ago when lacquers were used to paint cars, but yesterdays' paint is quite different than what's used today. Goof Off also contians xylene, as well as some bug & tar removers, Armor-All's version is a case in point (yeah-that IS surprising to even me ).

This doesn't mean that anything with xylene in it will automatically cause paint damage, just that , depending on the concentration, the risk is there. Some paints are more susceptible to different chemicals than others too, so there's no hard and fast rule, just a general caveat on xylene to be aware of. Some people may have seen that paint can be damaged near the filler cap of some cars when gas is overfilled or spilled on a frequent basis, well, that's the xylene in it causing dulling and micro - checking.

I would suggest the use of WD40 to remove tar, because just about everyone has some around the house, and it contains no xylene. It works fast on it too. Cheers.

Last edited by Guitarman; 08-26-04 at 03:49 PM.
Old 08-26-04, 12:39 PM
Neo
The One

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

Originally posted by Guitarman
I would suggest the use of WD40 to remove tar, because just about everyone has some around the house, and it contains no xylene. It works fast on it too. Cheers.
Really? That's good to know. Thanks Dan.

BTW, Dan, I'm moving the thread to your area as it is more your domain.
Old 08-26-04, 06:38 PM
BA_GS400
Lexus Test Driver

Originally posted by NT2SHBBY
AUTOMOTIVE Goo Gone is in a black bottle, and I know because I just checked it on lunch
you dog,....I've never seen that stuff 'round here! Perhaps it's on it's way? I'll keep my eyes out for it!
Old 08-26-04, 09:57 PM
rominl
exclusive matchup

Received 190 Likes on 148 Posts

Originally posted by Neo
Really? That's good to know. Thanks Dan.

BTW, Dan, I'm moving the thread to your area as it is more your domain.
yeah, always, wd40 is good. but just make sure you wipe it away soon, and you should wax the area again. wd40 could take away the wax

man, you can just call and ask me
Old 08-27-04, 05:51 AM
LEXITT
Rookie

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

ok, good, i got bug and tar remover cause i couldn't find goo gone, and it worked wonders, thank you guys for help.
Old 08-27-04, 11:40 AM
TRD-bB
Pole Position

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Hi all, since you guys are on this tar removing subject.

Normally I use a bit a clay and Zaino Z6 to wipe off the tar, it works pretty well for me.
But is that a good idea? or should I stop doing it?

thanks
Old 08-27-04, 12:01 PM
Neo
The One

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

I use this:

but I'm glad to know WD-40 is also safe if I ever run out of this thing.
Old 08-27-04, 01:41 PM
Guitarman

Normally I use a bit a clay and Zaino Z6 to wipe off the tar, it works pretty well for me.
That's fine, as long as it works for you, keep doing it. It's perfectly safe. The only negative is that the tar can contaminate (dirty up) the clay faster than it would become contaminated normally, so you go through the clay a bit faster. Other than that, NP.