Automotive Care & Detailing Discussions on washing, waxing, polishing, detailing, cleaning and maintaining the beauty of your Lexus.

wax for my lex??

Search this Thread

Old 05-07-01, 06:27 PM
garnet92
Lexus Test Driver

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Default Lex Wax

Jazziz: Since I posted last I tried a little 5 last night and it did make a difference - I didn't Z5 the rear 1/4 only the 2 and 3. If it gets better with 3 coats I'll try that on some other area next. I never looked that close at my paint before - it looks great under normal conditions, but when I was trying to see what the paint looked like I was suprised to see all of the lines, scratches, and assorted crap - this is minute stuff - but there was a noticible improvement after claying and Z5. Not yet convinced that the effort is worth it but am more impressed. Appreciate your enthuasim for the product.
Old 05-08-01, 02:16 PM
gs3_4me
Intermediate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

The guys over at http://www.autopia-carecare.com seem to recommend either Klasse or Zaino. Some great articles and members over there... amazing tips on removing scratches, proper detailing techniques, etc etc.... Zaino seems to take more time initially, but with proper maintenance and additional coats, it supposes gets much easier.

Post some pics with the Zaino applied if you get a chance.

Old 05-09-01, 06:02 PM
garnet92
Lexus Test Driver

Default Another opinion

Here’s some more fuel for the fire. Consumer Reports did a test of auto polishes in the May 2000 issue – the tests are now a year old, but CR is objective and they probably still valid. The list is in top-down order of performance – all are liquid unless noted.

Zymol cleaner wax (most expensive @ $16, all others were $5-10)
Prestone bullet wax
Nu Finish car polish (paste)
Armor All car wax
3M one step cleaner wax
Turtle Wax emerald series advanced liquid wax
Turtle wax super hard shell car wax
Nu Finish car polish
Eagle One wet polish and wax
Blue Coral cleaner wax w/swirl remover
Turtle Wax express shine (spray)
Meguiars gold class
Mothers california gold

I only listed the first 13 out of a list of 26. Went to 13 cause that’s where Meguiars and Mothers first showed up. There were 4 more types of Meguiars, and 3 more Mothers further down on the list. Now don’t get p.o.’d thinking I’m badmouthing Meguiars or Mothers, Meguiars is on my SC right now and I’ve got some Mothers paste in the garage. Before the forum, I just had to keep trying them. BTW, they didn’t test Zaino Bros or Klasse, but did test Meguiars and Mother’s 3-step “systems” and felt they did provide a “deeper, richer” appearance but weren’t worth the effort for most people.
Old 05-11-01, 02:19 PM
apogee98

Question Product selection

Hi,

I started my research on the best product for my black GS430, and I am getting so many versions from so many people, on even to use or not to use wax on a brand new car.

I have determined that I wanted to try the zaino products, however, I am not sure which numbers I should get. Due to the fact that I also learned that there is no clearcoat on Lexus black cars ( which I have not been able to confirm),

Anyone can lend me a hand and help out?

thanks so much,
Old 05-12-01, 11:03 PM
Jazziz
Driver

Apogee98,

The basic products recommended are Z1, Z2/3, and Z5. Step one is washing the car with Dawn dishwashing liquid to remove all traces of wax. Then the Z1 cleaner/polish lock. Three to five coats of Z5 which builds up layers that removes swirls and fine scratches. And finish with Z2 is for clear coated finishes or the Z3 for regular paint finishes.

I also bought the leather cleaner which isn't too shiney but leaves the seats supple, the spray-on gloss enhancer (Z6), and the clay bar since I have two other cars that probaly will need it. Try it, I believe you might like it. I bought it because I heard it makes black cars look wet, my car is silver, and I like it!

Check out their website http://www.zainosbros.com it has produt info and application instructions.

Last edited by Jazziz; 05-12-01 at 11:07 PM.
Old 05-13-01, 11:33 AM
apogee98

Originally posted by Jazziz
And finish with Z2 is for clear coated finishes or the Z3 for regular paint finishes.

Check out their website http://www.zainosbros.com it has produt info and application instructions.
Jazziz,

this is where my question is, how do I confirm if I have clearcoat, I read on their website to use a polishing agent, what exactly is that? or can I call the dealership to find out?

It seems to me all cars nowadays have clearcoats, why wouldn't lexus black ones have them..??

David
Old 05-13-01, 03:33 PM
garnet92
Lexus Test Driver

Thumbs up Zaino delivers

Jazziz:

My old red antique has never looked so good! The Zaino Bros. product performed exactly as advertised. Nothing else I’ve used sparkles like the Zaino. It looks great – but at a price – my right arm will never be the same – I’ve got a power buffer, but purposely didn’t use it – partly based on the Bros. saying that you need to use a towel between pad and car – that’s a real pain in the ***. It goes on easy and comes off pretty easy, so I toughed it out – it’s just the multiple steps that wore me out.

I clayed the whole car, then Z1, Z5, Z6, Z5. That’s like wiping down the entire car 10 times. I plan on 5-ing the car another time or two and finishing out with the 2. Maybe next weekend. I won’t plan on doing this often, too much work – it's also pricey - I spent $100 for a full complement of products, including the clay and leather treatments, to give it a fair shot.

In the final analysis, I’d say if anyone wants the ultimate in deep gloss, I'd give it 5 stars. It does look great!

For those interested, their website has a tremendous amount of information about the products, how they're applied, testimonials, etc. (url previously posted)
Old 05-14-01, 03:04 AM
mooretorque
Lexus Champion

Received 4 Likes on 1 Post
Thumbs up

Just did Zaino for the first time on my GS. Relatively new car, my concerns are more paint protection than absolute gloss and I have a limited amount of time anytime I do the car. Thus, I only washed, dried, then Z1 and Z2 x1. Goes on quicker, comes only slightly less easy than the carnuba that I had been using.

OMG!!!!! It looks like someone poured liquid glass on the car!!!!! I'm sold, esp if it lasts as long as Msr. Zaino states!!!! Never seen anything like this stuff!!!!!

Last edited by mooretorque; 05-14-01 at 03:07 AM.
Old 05-14-01, 11:45 AM
Jazziz
Driver

Garnet,
I also Z6'd in-between the 5 coats of Z5 I put on. Just finish up with 1 or 2 coats of Z2. It has more light reflecting qualities than the Z5.

Apogee,
I've been looking for the car care website where I found the link to Zaino. I believe it was there the lexus black non-clearcoat issue was discussed. I still haven't been able to find it, if any of the other knowledgeable folks on this site can remember, please chime in. If all else fails, contact your Lexus parts dept.
Old 05-14-01, 03:50 PM
apogee98

Originally posted by Jazziz
Garnet,
I also Z6'd in-between the 5 coats of Z5 I put on. Just finish up with 1 or 2 coats of Z2. It has more light reflecting qualities than the Z5.

Apogee,
I've been looking for the car care website where I found the link to Zaino. I believe it was there the lexus black non-clearcoat issue was discussed. I still haven't been able to find it, if any of the other knowledgeable folks on this site can remember, please chime in. If all else fails, contact your Lexus parts dept.
Thanks all for your info, I can't wait to get my Zaino and try it out,

one quick question, I see on the order form that Z6 is a concentrated spray, do you dilute then spray on directly to the paint? or how do you "apply" Z6,

thanks,

Old 05-14-01, 04:21 PM
gsnav
Lead Lap

From some friends that have used the pinnacle wax, they say it's the best and i've seen it on the Concour show on pebble beach and a lot of enthusiasts use that wax but here's the only problem. an 8 oz can is $69.00. While i use the one grand blitz wax which is 8 oz for 17. But the shine is awesome. That is show car wax, the pinnacle wax.

GsNav@clublexus.com
Old 05-15-01, 05:04 PM
mooretorque
Lexus Champion

Received 4 Likes on 1 Post

apogee98, spray a little 6 on, rub it off......don't let it dry, but if it does, apparently it will re-liquify itself as they just say spray more on (directions on the bottle)

haven't tried the 6 yet followed by more 2, but will this weekend hopefully

garnet, sounds like you were won over like me!!!!

yoowwwwwzaaaaa!!!!!