Automotive Care & Detailing Discussions on washing, waxing, polishing, detailing, cleaning and maintaining the beauty of your Lexus.

Cleaning Car Ceiling!

Search this Thread

Old 08-30-04, 01:45 PM
caliness
Pole Position

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Cleaning Car Ceiling!

My brother borrowed my car because he needed a bigger one for the weekend. He took the in-laws (poor guy)! Anyway, there were a lot of kids sitting in the back, and these kids are messy! My ceiling now is dirty! There are lots of spots, I'm not sure what they all are but one of them looks like a splash/drops from a coke can, the other spots look like hand prints and just dirt.

I can't blame my brother but, what can I do to clean this mess???

I asked the carwash if they can do it but they said the ceiling material would seperate from the sponge and start to hang down, and I definately don't want that!!
Old 08-30-04, 03:44 PM
Guitarman

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

They're right in that you don't want to use anything that's wet to clean it. The better choice is a foaming cleaner like Blue Coral's Upholstery cleaner or even Resolve's foaming cleaner. A soft brush and light pressure should help remove the dirty spots.

The main thing is not to overdo it. Apply it thinly and brush gently and you'll be fine.
Old 08-30-04, 03:49 PM
caliness
Pole Position

Originally posted by Guitarman
They're right in that you don't want to use anything that's wet to clean it. The better choice is a foaming cleaner like Blue Coral's Upholstery cleaner or even Resolve's foaming cleaner. A soft brush and light pressure should help remove the dirty spots.

The main thing is not to overdo it. Apply it thinly and brush gently and you'll be fine.
I'm really scared to do it!!
I was thinking of detaching the ceiling material (if possible) and taking it to a dry cleaner's!! LOL
Old 08-30-04, 04:01 PM
Guitarman

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Here's another thing to try;

Resolve makes a DRY carpet powder called " Resolve High Traffic carpet cleaning granules". You would have a hard time getting it on the dirt though, applying it to the brush (brush comes with it) upside down, and it would get on the seats etc. so you'd have to cover the leather and vacuume after real well. I don't think the powder would hurt the leather, just make a mess etc.

I have used the foaming cleaners on headliners without problems, but the granules would be worth a try if you don't feel comfortable with the spray stuff. It sure wouldn't cause the headliner to come apart due to the adhesive backing coming unglued.

You brush it in and wait a bit, then vacuume it. It works REALLY well, I was surprised how good it is on carpet and fabric. Haven't used it on a headliner, but I don't see why it wouldn't work. Just harder to do because you're working against gravity.

Last edited by Guitarman; 08-30-04 at 04:02 PM.
Old 08-30-04, 04:08 PM
caliness
Pole Position

Originally posted by Guitarman
Here's another thing to try;

Resolve makes a DRY carpet powder called " Resolve High Traffic carpet cleaning granules". You would have a hard time getting it on the dirt though, applying it to the brush (brush comes with it) upside down, and it would get on the seats etc. so you'd have to cover the leather and vacuume after real well. I don't think the powder would hurt the leather, just make a mess etc.

I have used the foaming cleaners on headliners without problems, but the granules would be worth a try if you don't feel comfortable with the spray stuff. It sure wouldn't cause the headliner to come apart due to the adhesive backing coming unglued.

You brush it in and wait a bit, then vacuume it. It works REALLY well, I was surprised how good it is on carpet and fabric. Haven't used it on a headliner, but I don't see why it wouldn't work. Just harder to do because you're working against gravity.
Thanks! I think I will try the Resolve powder, I'll let you know how it turns out.