Automotive Care & Detailing Discussions on washing, waxing, polishing, detailing, cleaning and maintaining the beauty of your Lexus.

New Car Smell?

Search this Thread

Old 09-05-04, 08:43 PM
G Star
Lexus Test Driver

Received 47 Likes on 35 Posts
Default New Car Smell?

Hey guys, Im not sure if I am in need of a brand new air freshener, but my car doesnt really have a good car smell like it used to. Are there any suggestions to get my car back to the way it used to smell? more like a brand new car smell, or lime-ish taste. And I dont like to smother my car with scents, I would like to do some sort of "cleansing" and start off with a fresh new scent. thanks alot!
Old 09-06-04, 10:59 PM
G Star
Lexus Test Driver

I've read something in an article on Car & Driver the de-odorizer called "Ozium" anybody have any experiences with this?
Old 09-13-04, 11:09 PM
G Star
Lexus Test Driver

bump for a guy that likes the smell of new cars
Old 09-14-04, 07:30 AM
Guitarman

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Calvin, I'm guessing that what you're saying is that your car, while it doesn't smell "bad", doesn't quite have that new car smell anymore? Am I correct?

Tackling bad odors is one thing, and requires a certain approach, but if you just want a clean, new smell...then you'll have to experiment with different air freshners. They actually make one called "new car smell" and others with a leathery type smell. The leather and plastics / vinyls in the car eventually DO stop off gassing to a certain extent, after a year or 2, and that fresh new smell goes away inevitably.

It's up to your preference;

....air freshners/ deodorizers come in the following; spray, cannister (you can shove them under your seat) stick ons, or treated cardbord hanging freshener.

Ozium is pretty good, but it, and others that kill microbial growth (which is the root of most bad odors) may not be what you need *unless* you are having a problem like that , from a spill, water in the car etc. They won't give you back the "new car smell" so much as just ridding bad odors from the interior.
You just have to determine if the smell you're looking for is now masked by a bad smell, or gone due to time.

Good luck.
Old 09-17-04, 08:12 PM
G Star
Lexus Test Driver

I havent had any spills or anything like that, well the previous owner did spill coffee under the cupholder and now its dried and smells like poopoo but other than that, since its covered by the cupholder. Im just looking for a nice clean smell, but I dont want to keep covering the other smell by a new smell. I like the Ultra Gels (they fit in the cupholders) but I dont think they come in lime, lime is my favorite.

Last edited by G Star; 09-17-04 at 08:13 PM.
Old 09-18-04, 12:46 PM
THE_CEO
Pole Position

Received 47 Likes on 39 Posts

ok after having too many people in my car sometimes..not to sound girly or anything...but it does the trick...i spray cologne in the car...or i use ALL fabric refreshner..

CEO
Old 09-18-04, 01:19 PM
Hopeful
Rookie

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Keep conditioning the leather

I use Zaino leather conditioner and people are always commenting on my "new car smell" even though it's an 01. The Zaino has the best "leather" smell and I think that will contribute to the new car smell.
Old 09-20-04, 12:43 AM
Ku@
Pole Position

Default -.- new car smell huh

-.- dang i wish i knew how or wat kinda smell that is -.-...

but it'll be great if i could get one
hey calvin just get the exotic air refreshner i have in ma car from autobacs
they last long and smell good
get squash
Old 09-23-04, 09:43 AM
SDLexus
Lead Lap

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally posted by Calvin L
...I like the Ultra Gels (they fit in the cupholders) but I dont think they come in lime, lime is my favorite.
You might want to check out the Air Spencer air freshener. There is a scent called squash that has a bit of a citrus/lime smell to it. It's not cheap but you can refill it. It may be just the thing you're looking for. Here's a link where I got mine from.
Old 09-29-04, 06:30 PM
audphile1
Pole Position

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

talking about this, here is a good 1 for you. I bought one of those tree air fresheners. said new car scent on it. tis the worst crap in the world one could possibly smell. I threw the whole package out of my window on NJ Turnpike...
Old 10-02-04, 05:35 PM
ripe911
Pole Position

Sometimes you need ask someone else for an opinion. What I mean is that you sit in your car everyday so you're probably used to the smell your vehicle has. Ask someone who rarely sits in your car how the car smells.

I myself noticed that when I sit in someone elses car, the scent catches me right away. When I tell the driver about it they say that they don't smell anything. Also, other people who sit in my car tell me my car smells like leather but I rarely notice it myself.
Old 10-02-04, 07:48 PM
RA40
Super Moderator

Received 470 Likes on 362 Posts

I'm not a fan of the scented car fresheners. On a hot day, the smell can be overpowering and you may go walking around smelling like your car.

Some thoughts:

I've found that the steering wheel takes on many unusual odors. You pump gas and the nozzle has been held by thousands of hands in varying states of unclean, you then hold your steering wheel.

Floor mats, a fresh pair does wonders, if not, take them by an upholstery shop and have them cleaned or if you have a carpet cleaniner with hand attachment, do that.

Seat backs...you've just finsihed working out and plop yourself into your car. That salty, musty smell...think of that with some age on it, I notice this often in enough of my buddies cars. Even worse if they are on that super high protien diet and smell like ammonia. The car smells exactly like the gym locker room and no air freshner will fix that stink.

If you drive with the windows down...the accumulation of road dust is all through the car.
Old 10-10-04, 07:34 PM
Stage3
Lexus Fanatic

Originally posted by THE_CEO
ok after having too many people in my car sometimes..not to sound girly or anything...but it does the trick...i spray cologne in the car...or i use ALL fabric refreshner..

CEO
but i use Snuggles fabric softeners majority of the time.
Old 10-14-04, 10:12 PM
G Star
Lexus Test Driver

Originally posted by Stage3
but i use Snuggles fabric softeners majority of the time.
Think I might try that, that is after I get my car back from the shop, some lady t-boned me today
Old 10-17-04, 03:10 PM
toy4two
Lexus Champion

Thumbs up I got the new car smell back today!

I couldn't belive it but I used the folowing and now my car smells new (like new plastics releasing odor):

Cheapo Lemon grease cutter spray from .99 Store on the dirty plastic.
Meguiers Interior Wipes on dash and doors.
Lexor Leather Cleaner / Conditioner on seats.
Rug Doctor brand shampoo of carpets using Hoover SteamVac.

It really smells like a new car, minus the odor of Leather. I think when I run out of Lexol and I get Zaino Leather in a Bottle I'll have the perfect recepie for a new car smell.