Automotive Care & Detailing Discussions on washing, waxing, polishing, detailing, cleaning and maintaining the beauty of your Lexus.

Clear Bra Cleaning

Search this Thread

Old 09-07-04, 12:11 PM
Ditto
Pole Position

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Clear Bra Cleaning

I installed the clear bra about 2 months ago. I went on a trip and once I got home I cleaned my car to find an orange stain on the clear bra from bug splat residue. I tried cleaning it with car bug remover and even 409 and nothing seems to works. I am thinking the bug guts have seeped throught 3M Film. (see pic below) Does anyone know how remove/clean it?
Old 09-07-04, 01:23 PM
CdeFabio
Lead Lap

Received 5 Likes on 3 Posts
Unhappy

I have the same problem. It seems that some bugs leave permanent marks in the film and with a white car they are very noticable. Some of mine have come off over time, although there are still quite a few on there ( I even have the yellow one in your picture!). I have not tried anything to remove them for fear of scratching or etching the film, I just wash the area really good. Anyone else know how to remove them?
Old 09-08-04, 05:10 PM
Guitarman

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

I've commonly seen that same yellow staining (from bug remains) on clearcoat, I've never seen it on clear bra, but very few in my area have it (no one does installs here yet ). I can usually use abrasive polishes to get it, but it does indeed saturate into clearcoat paint as well as the film evidently.

Here is something I found in a Google search on it;

http://forums.roadfly.org/forums/det...253925-10.html

Personally, I'd be careful with bleach. Call the film manufacturer first before trying that. It sounds like the sun will eventually lessen it or remove it. Good luck.
Old 09-09-04, 12:11 PM
Ditto
Pole Position

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Thanks,
I'll give it a try. I thought about removing the film, clean it under and then reapply it, but I don't know if the adhesive willl be the same again.
Old 09-09-04, 02:48 PM
Guitarman

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Well, the only problem with removing the film and cleaning under it, as I see it, ( other than to have to re-install) is that the stain is IN the film, permeating partially or all the way through it, so if you can't get it out on the surface, you likely won't have any advantage from the other side either. I could always be wrong, but I feel pretty good on thinking otherwise on this one. It would be a big hassle for only a *maybe" result.

One thing for all us fussy car folks is that we all need to keep a quick detailer and microfiber towel in the car, because things happen so fast, with sometimes irreversible results if we wait. Be it sap, bird bombs, bug guts, eggs etc. it's gotten to the point where I look the car over, especially at the front end EVERY time I put it away for the night. Every time I drive it sometimes. Shame it has to be that way, but...it be.

Good luck Ditto.