Automotive Care & Detailing Discussions on washing, waxing, polishing, detailing, cleaning and maintaining the beauty of your Lexus.

Best Car Care Products ?

Search this Thread

Old 04-20-01, 05:59 AM
RealMarty
Lexus Test Driver

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Question Why Wax, Why Not Plastic Polymer?

First let me say, I am not a fanatic about the depth of the shine on my car -- that's one of the reasons I buy silver...but I do want my finish to last.

I just want to wash the car to keep it clean and put a coating on to protect the paint. What about some of the newer plastic finishes? They seem to do an OK job to me. They say they last a year, but I suspect that's a push. For a car that is garaged, I can see having to do it every six months just to be safe.

Does anybody have some empirical data on wax vs. plastic?
Old 04-20-01, 09:13 AM
chowder
Driver

Default Ira

First, thanks for your insightful comments.
I was just about to put my Zaino order in after reading up on it. But I'll pause to ask you this: do you have any opinion/impression on that company's products?
I'm right across the bridge from you in DE. What part of NJ? I'm from there. I was mainly going after Zaino cause they were nearby in NJ and seemed very helpful/responsive to questions.
Thanks.
Old 04-20-01, 01:52 PM
Ira Senoff
Driver

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Chowder

Chowder,

You're from Jersey?!? What exit (inside joke for Jerseyians)...

I live in North Brunswick, born and raised. If you are ever in the area, look me up. I could talk cars, car audio, car cleaning & performance all day (probably to the point where my wife wants to divorce me but she needs to find a better divorce lawyer than me if she wants to take that approach).

As for Zaino, I have never used the stuff and don't think that at this point in the game that I would. Nothing against the product but I like what I use. I consistently get awesome results, shine and longevity, with my choice(s) in chemicals and wax. Not to say that this old dog can't learn a few new tricks but I really love what I use now.

Ira

Old 04-20-01, 03:11 PM
chowder
Driver

Default ira

I was born at St. Peter's in New Brunswick. Funny, huh.
My closest relatives are now in Raritan/Bridgewater. Maybe next time I visit them...

One last thing on Zaino. If you're bored, would you mind taking a gander at http://zainobros.com/ and tell me how your protocol compares in price and time-of-application? I'm trying to find the right balance of effort/quality/duration. I simply want to take great care of my GS4, and not have to spend/sweat over it like a slave. Thanks.
Old 04-21-01, 09:03 AM
Bobcat
Pole Position

Default WHERE TO BUY???

I want to buy the products mentioned but it seems like I have to go to 13 different websites. Griots has their own site, Ardex is a little hard to find. Ira, please provide info on best way to purchase online or 800 numbers. I couldn't find a website that had all the Ardex products you recommended. I couldn't find a product called Pinnacle glaze, specifically ... I found Pinnacle but not glaze. Can you give more specific exact names of the stuff you recommend? Thanks, man.

BObcat
Old 04-29-01, 01:08 AM
kodai
Driver

I use the Mothers brand of car care products and i love it. i have tried other and i keep finding myself coming back to the Mothers line of products.
Old 05-01-01, 02:10 PM
deweygs430

Default Zaino

Here's my $.02.

Most of the results are a result of simply doing a good job. Getting your car very clean before you wax it is important so use a clay bar. Dry it like you love it, using 100% cotton towels that are perfectly clean. And keep your car clean by washing it often.

I have been using Zaino. I have used others and they are all pretty much good, but Zaino is amazing to the touch. My friend asked me about my car so I simply asked him to touch it. He felt how smooth Zaino is and stopped using Meguiars. Not that Meguiars is bad, it does look good.

But like I said, you'll get great results by washing the car well, drying well with clean towels and then waxing.

Old 05-01-01, 04:24 PM
jamecl

Question; I understand that using a clay stick actually removes not only un-wanted junk from the paint surface but paint also, and less radical methods should be used intially to clean the paint surface. Only if this doesn't work should you resort to clay.

I would like to know how you all feel about using clay.
Old 05-01-01, 04:49 PM
Francis K
Racer

Question Okay Okay Okay.....

I never really washed my car myself, not the right way anyway. I have swirl marks. I have light scratches. I have these white marks, I think it's oxidation, it looks like a white buildup of some sort? I have a couple of touch of paint disasters because I tried to touch up a couple pebble marks myself, not a good idea. And there are these stains that look like water warks but they don't go away, they kind of look like grease but I'm sure that's not it. I've heard so much about Meguiars and since I can buy it at the local store I thougt it was a good idea. I went to www.meguiars.com and they gave me their "prescription" which was...
1. Gold Class wash and shampoo
2. Gold Class clear coat prep & swirl reducer
3. Deep crystal system polish
4. Gold Class clear coat wax..

Okay, is this a descent evaluation and will it take care of my car care problems? My car is black and I want it shine and I don't want any blemishes. Are there any other products I should consider? What should I do about those blemishes, I tried some turtle wax remover junk and some clear coat polish and it didn't work. What about that stuff that is black and you put it on your car and it color it in a way. How about drying the car, what about the famed "California Water Blade" Or Chamois and Terry Towels? My car is huge limiting my work is in my interests.

What about the interior? I was using some Turtle wax stuff in a green bottle and I would just go over everything with a mit and it worked quite well everything would be shiny clean but someone told me it would make my leather crack even though it claims to protect it.

Sorry for the long thread, I appreciate all the help I can
get.

Thanks, Francis
Old 05-04-01, 11:15 PM
deweygs430

Default Clay

The clay bar isn't going to remove your clear coat or paint. It is claimed to remove overspray which would be lightly attached to your clear coat, but I have never verified this.

If you have a black car and the paint is damaged, its hard to repair. Is the clear coat product a clear coat cleaner? This should get anything off the paint and I have used it as a last resort (after clay bar doesn't work). I think if the clear coat cleaner (Meguiar's) doesn't work, it's a permanent blemish. I have read of people taking cars in to have the clearcoat taken on and/or reapplied if the problem is only as deep as the clearcoat.

I dry with 100% cotton towels. The key is to just use something that is very very clean. If your towel/chamois has a small speck of dirty and you rub it all over your car, you will get swirls. I use about 20 towels (per car wash) and constantly switch them, even if they aren't dirty. If you drop a towel, don't use it anymore (until you wash it).

Of course all this is just my opinion.
Old 05-08-01, 03:56 AM
Ira Senoff
Driver

Default Re: Clay

Originally posted by deweygs430
1. The clay bar isn't going to remove your clear coat or paint. It is claimed to remove overspray which would be lightly attached to your clear coat, but I have never verified this.

2. If you have a black car and the paint is damaged, its hard to repair. Is the clear coat product a clear coat cleaner? This should get anything off the paint and I have used it as a last resort (after clay bar doesn't work).

3. I think if the clear coat cleaner (Meguiar's) doesn't work, it's a permanent blemish.

4. I have read of people taking cars in to have the clearcoat taken on and/or reapplied if the problem is only as deep as the clearcoat.

5. I dry with 100% cotton towels. The key is to just use something that is very very clean.

6. If your towel/chamois has a small speck of dirty and you rub it all over your car, you will get swirls.

7. I use about 20 towels (per car wash) and constantly switch them, even if they aren't dirty. If you drop a towel, don't use it anymore (until you wash it).

Of course all this is just my opinion.

1. TRUE: It will not remove paint or clear coat, it will remove overspray (and anything else on the paint that doesn't belong there).

2. TRUE

3. FALSE: Could always resort to more aggressive repair methods (like wetsanding the area to remove the blemish).

4. TRUE: but way to aggressive. In most cases, reapplying the clear coat is a recipe for disaster. Far more can go wrong than the blemish is worth. If it bothers you that much, repaint the area, not re-clear; better adhesion and less chance of chipping or other adverse reactions.

5. TRUE: Very very clean towels. 100% cotton too. In order to minimize towel use, I blow most of the water off the car with a leaf blower; there is so little water left on the car that you could dry the car with a square of toilet paper.........

6. TRUE: Also, if the towel has a coarse nap, it could scratch the finish as well. Many factors.........

7. TRUE: NEVER use a dirty towel. But 20 towels is excessive to dry the car (even in my book). I would love to be your water company. You must spend millions washing all those towels. Try the leaf blower trick, it will cut down on towel usage (and time)
Old 05-08-01, 07:42 AM
babyGS3
Lexus Champion

How in the world do you guys dry your cars with towels and not have lint allll over your cars? I use a shammy... I had no swirls at all until after my accident when the stupid body shop buffed out the overspray they put on my car with a dirty buffer... wetsanded some parts...very messily

Anyway, about Zaino... This is the best stuff i have ever seen. It has brought out the most shine I have ever seen in my life and I have used zymol, meguiars and a lot of others. The only drawback is that it is a lot of work... but the work pays off with the looks that it brings out.
Old 05-08-01, 07:56 AM
Mean Gene
Lexus Test Driver

Wink Towels

Manny - How's the stereo working out? Oops - kinda off the subject! If ya get the kind of towels that Zaino recommends ( Cannon or Fieldcrest ), there's minimal lint left after drying. Personally, I don't like shammys because there's no nap to allow for a missed piece of grit & then ya got a scratch!! 'Course, YOU probably wash better than I do so that's not a problem!
Ira - Glad someone else uses the leaf blower trick! I mentioned it on the old website & people ( & my neighbors ) think I'm nuts.:eek: Really clears out the water in the mirror housings & around the door handles & gas lid as well. Good tip!
Old 05-09-01, 04:43 AM
babyGS3
Lexus Champion

Gene...

the stereo is on hold right now... no funds!!! I'm extremely broke... I am heading out to hawaii this summer to take classes ... 2k for the classes... prob 3 k for lodging and another 5 k for expenses... then I have to pay around 7k back to my scholarship because I defferred one semester... aaaaaaargh!!! 2k for repairing my mom's benz... (the car I use for a "beater"... hehe.. like manaray)

anyway.. bout the towels... it doesnt leave streaks? I tried that before... I didnt like the results... so I stuck to shammy.... course it takes me a whole 2 hours to wash my car... cuz I rinse the shammy periodically...
I tried the leaf blower thing... i have an electric one... verrrrrrrrrrrrry loud! my neighbors were not that appreciative...
Old 05-09-01, 12:48 PM
Bobcat
Pole Position

Question Other issues .....

need some feedback:

a) there is an automatic car wash near my house that does all it's work by spraying on soap and then rinsing it off with swirling water jets (there are no brushes or other cloth materials that ever come in contact with the paint). are they OK for a quick wash when you don't have time to hand wash or is there a problem with the soaps they use or the nozzle pressure of their water?

b) when it's 85 degrees or higher outside the inside gets very hot. is it better to crack the window a little (and let in pollen and dirt) or just let the interior bake on hot days. I have no place to park my car at work that is not in direct sunlight. I am not going to tint my windows and I don't like the hassle of those accordion-style things that you place on the dashboard to deflect the sun.

c) is the dash of our cars made of leather or vinyl? it sure looks like leather to me. if so, I assume that using Lexol leather cleaner/treatment is the way to best care for the dash area.

Your advice is welcome.

Bobcat

Quick Reply: Best Car Care Products ?