Automotive Care & Detailing Discussions on washing, waxing, polishing, detailing, cleaning and maintaining the beauty of your Lexus.

Zaino users

Search this Thread

Old 04-18-01, 01:02 PM
chowder
Driver

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

For those of you with first-hand experience with this product, I have 2 questions:
1) After the first time going through the whole process (dawn, Z7+claybar, Z1, Z2/3+5, Z6), how long until the water beading fades (or some other indicator) and you need to reapply?
2) When it's time for that reapplication, which subset of steps are performed? I read on the website that the whole process gets done semi-annually (BTW, is that really accurate?).
I live in the Mid-Atlantic. Lots of spring showers, lots of trees, thus lots of crap landing on my car. I have little doubt Zaino will make the car look better, but I'm trying to see if it helps me increase the DURATION/QUALITY of protection compared to my conventional wax.
Thanks.
Old 04-19-01, 08:53 AM
Mean Gene
Lexus Test Driver

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Question Which Re-Application?

Chowder - My experience with Zaino seems to show that, depending on the frequency of rain, it lasts about a month with a once a week rain storm & the car sitting under a covered carport at night but out in the sunlight during daytime hours. According to Sal Zaino. a daily driver should use the full treatment ( without using the Dawn first ) every 6 months but once a year would be acceptable. This is the step starting with Z-1 , BTW. Between these semi-annual or annual applications, just wash the car & use the Z-5 ( for swirls ) if needed or jump right to the Z-2/3 coat if no swirl treatment is necessary. Even his Claybar use doesn't require a spot-treatment of the Z-1 because it doesn't remove the original Z-1 ( should follow up with Z-2/3 after the bar, however ). A word of caution - keep your eye on the flat spot of the hood by the washer nozzles. If it rains & water puddles there & then the sun comes back out, the sun's rays will be magnified by the beads & there will be some water spots etched into the paint that even the Claybar won't remove. In that case, Sal recommends using 3-M Foaming Polish ( available at most auto part stores or automotive paint supply shops on those small areas & then use the Z-1 first as the mild abrasive action of the cleaner will remove the layers of Z-1/2/3/5, etc. U'll actually be polishing out the water spots so don't be surprised to see some paint residue on the pad. The best thing is to carry a deep-nap cotton towel in the trunk & dry this area or blow it off before the sun can do it's damage.
Old 04-23-01, 02:14 PM
chowder
Driver

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default follow up

which of the products in his system do you run out of first? i'm trying to gauge what quantities to purchase to avoid excess shipments down the line. stuff like "you'll use 3 bottles of z2 before you finish your first bottle of z7" would be good to know.

z1,z2,z5,z6...none of these really come across as a wax when you read the website. is there a carnuba component to this system at all? is zaino using a totally different approach than traditional wax?

thanks.

Last edited by chowder; 04-23-01 at 02:33 PM.
Old 04-23-01, 03:14 PM
Mean Gene
Lexus Test Driver

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Question No Silicone, Either!

Chowder - No carnuba or silicone in Zaino but don't know what the magic elixir is! For me, I run out of the Z-6 Gloss Enhancer before anything else because I use it between all coats of everything & first thing in the morning ( after using the California Duster to remove dust & pollen ). Since my GS is black & swirls are more evident, I'd say I go through 3 bottles of Z-5 to every 2 bottles of Z-3 ( Lexus black ISN'T clear coated but all other colors R ). I tend to apply at least 2 coats of Z-5 for every coat of Z-3 because of the swirls. Might want to stock up on those applicators because if U wash them with your towels after every detailing time, they'll tear up around the seams after a dozen or so washes.