Automotive Care & Detailing Discussions on washing, waxing, polishing, detailing, cleaning and maintaining the beauty of your Lexus.

Leather seat accident

Search this Thread

Old 10-07-04, 07:27 PM
93lexuses
Lead Lap

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Unhappy stupid

I am so stupid! I left the windex in my car after cleaning the windows and the lid came off. It spilt on my back seat and now there is a spot that is way lighter then the rest. I have no idea what i am going to do. I can't believe that the lid unscrewed. What the heck is that all about? Anyway i just wanted to remind people that when you are done with your windex take it out of your car or put it in the trunk because it is not good on leather. Oh yeah and it now smells in my car.

Last edited by 93lexuses; 10-07-04 at 07:28 PM.
Old 10-07-04, 07:42 PM
BigRich
Pole Position

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Owww.

Man that sucks..
Old 10-07-04, 07:52 PM
93lexuses
Lead Lap

Oh man it does suck! I almost cried.
Old 10-07-04, 08:14 PM
lexusk8
Lexus Fanatic

Received 21 Likes on 12 Posts

Jill, I'm sorry to hear about that incident. Nothing worse than finding out too late a mistake made

I'm going to move this to the Detailing forum for some helpful advice for your leather seats.
Old 10-07-04, 08:32 PM
93lexuses
Lead Lap

Originally posted by lexusk8
Jill, I'm sorry to hear about that incident. Nothing worse than finding out too late a mistake made

I'm going to move this to the Detailing forum for some helpful advice for your leather seats.
Ok thanks Doug!
Old 10-09-04, 07:00 AM
THE_CEO
Pole Position

Received 47 Likes on 39 Posts

yeah i did the same thing in my trunk last week....

CEO
Old 10-09-04, 02:33 PM
lexusondubs
dubsonlexus

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

here is an easy fix get some leather cleaner and try cleaning the leather once clean the leather will lighten up to match the spot ??? then condition the leather once absorbed into the leather it sould match once again

Last edited by lexusondubs; 10-09-04 at 02:34 PM.
Old 10-09-04, 08:45 PM
93lexuses
Lead Lap

Originally posted by lexusondubs
here is an easy fix get some leather cleaner and try cleaning the leather once clean the leather will lighten up to match the spot ??? then condition the leather once absorbed into the leather it sould match once again
We cleaned the seats not long ago, but it never got as light as the spot.
Do you know of any good leather cleaner that might work? Maybe i should get something from Lexus.
Old 10-09-04, 10:31 PM
Guitarman

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

I can't guaranatee either of these will work, but you can try using a gummy eraser (NOT a hard eraser) on it and see if it lightens or blends the surrounding leather with the light areas. Probably won't, but what the hey...

Also, water drops (rain etc.) can spot and lighten leather, and I know that (not making this up) a rolled up slice of bread dough rubbed on the spots will often remove them. These suggestions may not work on all types of finished leathers, or spots, but they're cheap (especially the bread!) and worth a try IMO. My *guess* is the bread dough won't work in this case though, since the surface was essentially chemically "bleached".

It's doubtful any leather cleaner will work. The ammonia in the Windex is likely the culprit.

You could experiment with rubbing alcohol on an inconspicuous area of the seat (underside front etc.) and see if that lightens it too, or try some of the same stuff you spilled on it and see if it even or blends it out. Sure, it's too harsh for the leather, but...after all...the damage is done, right? You may be able to even it out and then you can condition it good with a dedicated leather conditioner. Beats springing for new leather, at least at this point.

But start with the gentle stuff, and only resort to harsher things if you can't live with it and are resigned to eventually have the leather replaced. You *may* get lucky, and if you don't at least you're prepared.

Last edited by Guitarman; 10-10-04 at 11:20 AM.
Old 10-10-04, 07:32 PM
Stage3
Lexus Fanatic

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

yeah, i did the same, but with Fabreeze in my trunk... at least it smells nice, but its a little over bearing sometimes.
Old 10-10-04, 08:57 PM
93lexuses
Lead Lap

Originally posted by Guitarman
I can't guaranatee either of these will work, but you can try using a gummy eraser (NOT a hard eraser) on it and see if it lightens or blends the surrounding leather with the light areas. Probably won't, but what the hey...

Also, water drops (rain etc.) can spot and lighten leather, and I know that (not making this up) a rolled up slice of bread dough rubbed on the spots will often remove them. These suggestions may not work on all types of finished leathers, or spots, but they're cheap (especially the bread!) and worth a try IMO. My *guess* is the bread dough won't work in this case though, since the surface was essentially chemically "bleached".

It's doubtful any leather cleaner will work. The ammonia in the Windex is likely the culprit.

You could experiment with rubbing alcohol on an inconspicuous area of the seat (underside front etc.) and see if that lightens it too, or try some of the same stuff you spilled on it and see if it even or blends it out. Sure, it's too harsh for the leather, but...after all...the damage is done, right? You may be able to even it out and then you can condition it good with a dedicated leather conditioner. Beats springing for new leather, at least at this point.

But start with the gentle stuff, and only resort to harsher things if you can't live with it and are resigned to eventually have the leather replaced. You *may* get lucky, and if you don't at least you're prepared.
Thanks!
I will try out some of these things. I will let everyone know if anything works.
I thought about using the windex everywhere, but i was afraid. It is still really wet. The leather fills mushy. It's hard to explain! I just hope that when it dries that it won't crack.
Old 10-10-04, 09:01 PM
93lexuses
Lead Lap

Originally posted by Stage3
yeah, i did the same, but with Fabreeze in my trunk... at least it smells nice, but its a little over bearing sometimes.
Fabreeze is really strong if you use to much so i could just imagine how bad that smells.

CEO said that he spilt windex in his trunk and i know how he fills.

I tried to air out my car, but it does not seem to work. I can't leave the windows down all night so as soon as i put them up the smell is back.
Old 10-10-04, 10:48 PM
Guitarman

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

I thought about using the windex everywhere, but i was afraid. It is still really wet. The leather fills mushy. It's hard to explain! I just hope that when it dries that it won't crack.
Let it dry out completely before you do anything. Go buy a container of Damp Rid and leave it in the car for a few days, it will help absorb the moisture out of the seats.

If you do use the Windex to try and blend it out, just condition it really well afterward with Lexol or equivalent.. I think you'll be ok as far as cracking goes.....at least short term anyway. It *may* decrease the longevity of the leather, but it's difficult to say .

FWIW, Windex lables their product as safe on vinyl, and the polyurethane coating on most automotive leathers is fairly close cousin of that, so I don't think you damaged the leather much if at all. Just my educated guess though.

It also contains some isopropyl alcohol, which many have used on treated leathers for ink stains. That's why I mentioned that to you. But you must always test the alcohol in an out of the way place first because every leather brand can be a bit differently finished. It works in most cases, but nothing's 100%.
Old 10-11-04, 05:35 PM
93lexuses
Lead Lap

Originally posted by Guitarman
Let it dry out completely before you do anything. Go buy a container of Damp Rid and leave it in the car for a few days, it will help absorb the moisture out of the seats.

If you do use the Windex to try and blend it out, just condition it really well afterward with Lexol or equivalent.. I think you'll be ok as far as cracking goes.....at least short term anyway. It *may* decrease the longevity of the leather, but it's difficult to say .

FWIW, Windex lables their product as safe on vinyl, and the polyurethane coating on most automotive leathers is fairly close cousin of that, so I don't think you damaged the leather much if at all. Just my educated guess though.

It also contains some isopropyl alcohol, which many have used on treated leathers for ink stains. That's why I mentioned that to you. But you must always test the alcohol in an out of the way place first because every leather brand can be a bit differently finished. It works in most cases, but nothing's 100%.
I will go get some Damp Rid. It seems to be getting darker the more it dries, but i think that it will still be lighter then the rest of the seats. I am going to wait till it is completely dry before i do anything.

Thanks!
Old 10-11-04, 09:30 PM
southernsc
Lexus Champion

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

pour windex on the rest of your seats then condition

Last edited by southernsc; 10-11-04 at 09:30 PM.