Automotive Care & Detailing Discussions on washing, waxing, polishing, detailing, cleaning and maintaining the beauty of your Lexus.

Dan, what would you charge a friend for a full detail job?

Search this Thread

Old 10-14-04, 02:14 PM
Technics
Lexus Champion

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally posted by Guitarman
Man, this thread could easily get into some ..ehh...dangerous territory, regarding "tips" etc. I'll just leave it go at that i think. You dogg you...

Let me address your other questions. Bear in mind, everyone has a slightly different approach to all this, so don't read this as gospel...

The animal hair will require either a powerful shop vac, and/or that in conjunction with some duct tape wrapped around your hand, sticky side out to grab the stubborn hairs.

As far as the sealant in sequence is concerned, YES, you have the order correct. After you polish, you apply that. You can then top it with a carnauba but she will likely never notice the difference.

As far as machine work goes, NO to the "wash & wax" job. I do that all by hand there. I use either Zaino or NXT, depending on customer. I charge a bit more for Zaino because it involves a bit more time since there's an extra step the 1st time. For a "full detail" well.... that will involve the use of a rotary buffer to either compound and polish, or just polish. At this point in my life I can't imagine compounding /and or polishing a whole car without a machine. More power to ya if you do it that way, no reason it can't turn out fine . Just sore arms and more time involved, that's all. That hurts your bottom ( $$$) line yes, but you have to do what is at your disposal, and it's good to learn that way at first.

The price will reflect just what is needed. $150 is fair to both of you. Yes, the price of the product overhead is wrapped up in your estimate, we have to absorb that. Cheers.

P.S. I hope this detail doesn't turn up on Penthouse Forum! ( But let me know if it does).
Thanks again. We're working out some of the fine details now. I explained what a full detail would consist of, so she understands better now. Seems like her husband has a real problem with me detailing the car at their house................we'll see.

Thanks for the tip with animal hair, I'll definitely be using it.

About NXT and Zaino. I have NXT but not Zaino, what's your deciding factor on which one to use on a customers car? Personal preference? Color?
Old 10-14-04, 08:19 PM
Guitarman

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Zaino has about the best durability of any product I've ever tried, but because it's slightly more involved (2 steps plus it takes a minimum of 2 hours to air cure in my experience, at least here in Florida) I explain the differences and most go for the NXT sealant because it's 1 step after clay and protects decently and looks good. Some of the college guys (I do quite a few of the muscle cars from Embry Riddle Aeronautical University's ERMCA muscle car club ; http://www.ermca.com/forum/ ) like the Zaino best. The younger people seem to know more, which isn't surprising since they typically spend more time on the web.

The "look" doesn't factor in as much because 1 layer of Zaino or NXT doesn't look much different to the 'average Joe". This is what I've gleaned at least. They both look very good. When you get 3-4 layers of Zaino on a car, it starts to "pop" more.

I really don't get many "enthusiast" customers, so most don't have a clue about what's a great product and what isn't. But I try to provide the best bang for my customers' buck, and I explain that Zaino lasts longer, and they can decide if they want to pay a bit more for it or not. It's usually only $10-$15 more depending on vehicle size.

Last edited by Guitarman; 10-14-04 at 09:25 PM.
Old 10-15-04, 11:43 AM
Technics
Lexus Champion

Zaino has about the best durability of any product I've ever tried, but because it's slightly more involved (2 steps plus it takes a minimum of 2 hours to air cure in my experience, at least here in Florida) I explain the differences and most go for the NXT sealant because it's 1 step after clay and protects decently and looks good. Some of the college guys (I do quite a few of the muscle cars from Embry Riddle Aeronautical University's ERMCA muscle car club ; http://www.ermca.com/forum/ ) like the Zaino best. The younger people seem to know more, which isn't surprising since they typically spend more time on the web.

The "look" doesn't factor in as much because 1 layer of Zaino or NXT doesn't look much different to the 'average Joe". This is what I've gleaned at least. They both look very good. When you get 3-4 layers of Zaino on a car, it starts to "pop" more.

I really don't get many "enthusiast" customers, so most don't have a clue about what's a great product and what isn't. But I try to provide the best bang for my customers' buck, and I explain that Zaino lasts longer, and they can decide if they want to pay a bit more for it or not. It's usually only $10-$15 more depending on vehicle size.

That makes sense, I'm satisfied with the results of NXT but I'll still waiting to try out the Zaino at this point.

I was researching Klasse and they recommend going with AIO and then following up with the sealant glaze. Any thoughts on AIO, supposedly it acts as a polish as well.

So I'm thinking about the following based on your outline:

1) wash
2) clay (I never wax without first claying-won't do it)
3) Klasse AIO
4) Klasse sealant
5) vacuume int/trunk
6) spot clean mats
7). windows
8) clean tirs + tire dressing
Old 10-15-04, 01:16 PM
Guitarman

I used Klasse AIO years ago and liked it a lot. Very good 1 -step product. The only thing keeping me from using it in place of NXT is that it's not redily available near me, and I'm sometimes lazy to to the internet ordering , even with Zaino (i'm getting low on that at the moment too-better get my butt in gear and order)

The fact that you can pick up NXT just about everywhere wins on the convenience factor, but by all means, I think AIO is a great choice for this venture, especially topped with SG after. It's still 2 steps there, like Zaino, but it would likely have a durability advantage over NXT because of that, and if you can get the $$$ you want to do the work, it's a "win / win" for you & the customer IMO.

Go for it.
Old 10-17-04, 08:07 PM
lexusondubs
dubsonlexus

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Originally posted by Technics
That makes sense, I'm satisfied with the results of NXT but I'll still waiting to try out the Zaino at this point.

I was researching Klasse and they recommend going with AIO and then following up with the sealant glaze. Any thoughts on AIO, supposedly it acts as a polish as well.

So I'm thinking about the following based on your outline:

1) wash
2) clay (I never wax without first claying-won't do it)
3) Klasse AIO
4) Klasse sealant
5) vacuume int/trunk
6) spot clean mats
7). windows
8) clean tirs + tire dressing
ok well whats the outcome any details yet ?????
Old 10-19-04, 07:00 PM
Technics
Lexus Champion

Originally posted by lexusondubs
ok well whats the outcome any details yet ?????
Oh man, we have the pricing and all the other details worked out but "hubby" seems like a real controlling or jealous dude. He doesn't want me at the house to do the job and he's fighting the idea of letting me take the car for the day.

She did tell me he might be away on business this weekend, so we'll see............................
Old 10-19-04, 07:31 PM
lexusondubs
dubsonlexus

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Oh man, we have the pricing and all the other details worked out but "hubby" seems like a real controlling or jealous dude. He doesn't want me at the house to do the job and he's fighting the idea of letting me take the car for the day.

She did tell me he might be away on business this weekend, so we'll see............................
uh oh that sounds like a good time to do some waxing
Old 11-04-04, 06:34 AM
Technics
Lexus Champion

Well guys after a while it looks like the time is finally upon us.

She wants me to detail the car at her house on Sunday as the husband will be away on business......breakfast included

Dan, one more question regarding the process. I've read that after claying, the car will need to washed again. Is that your standard practice?
Old 11-04-04, 07:52 AM
Guitarman

No need to re-wash ( I don't), you only need to rinse it well and dry. If you have any clay smears you can get them with some Prepsol, 3M Adhesive & Wax remover, Iso alcohol or even some swirl remover will take it off. If you're polishing afterward, that will remove it anyway.

Man, I think you have the "detailer's fantasy" job there, but I'll leave that to you and Penthouse Forum.

( Tell me which issue if it gets published! )

Last edited by Guitarman; 11-04-04 at 07:53 AM.
Old 11-06-04, 06:14 AM
Technics
Lexus Champion

Dan, thanks for the all help

I'll make sure I take some before and after shots of the car for you (but that's about it )
Old 11-25-04, 01:34 AM
tod071
Lexus Champion

Dan, thanks for the all help

I'll make sure I take some before and after shots of the car for you (but that's about it )
K, after reading this thread, and about 2 weeks passing, I'm curious to know how this turned out? Were you able to take some pics, before and after. Was there alot of "fur"? How much did you charge?

Please tell...
Old 11-25-04, 07:18 AM
Guitarman

Was there alot of "fur"?

Penthouse Forum, October issue, page 112.

J/K ...we don't want this thread censored after all. I want to know how the...umm..detail, yeah...the detail, went too. Do tell Technics.
Old 11-28-04, 04:31 PM
Technics
Lexus Champion

Originally posted by tod071
K, after reading this thread, and about 2 weeks passing, I'm curious to know how this turned out? Were you able to take some pics, before and after. Was there alot of "fur"? How much did you charge?

Please tell...
J/K ...we don't want this thread censored after all. I want to know how the...umm..detail, yeah...the detail, went too. Do tell Technics.
Sorry for not updating guys, my bad.

I actually had to go to the house for two consecutive weekends, one time just for the exterior and the other for the interior. The first time I was literally at the house from 9am to 10pm!!! As soon as I got there we got into a really good conversation about work, relationships, etc. Before hand though, I told myself nothing would go down unless she initiated, I wasn't going to take the chance and have Mr.xxxx show up at the job and start beefing. We talked for hours and during that time there was one point where I felt something was going to go down but she didn't make the move and I wasn't going to put my neck out there in this type of situation (normally I would ). So that's it fellas, the pool boy didn't come through this time. Believe me though, no ones more disappointed than yours truly. Some positives though, I did get breakfast and other refreshments both times and she tipped on top of the $150, so that was cool. We talked for so long the first time, I didn't get started until about 2pm on the car.

Funny thing though, the first time I was there husband showed up at about 9pm from a business trip when I was finishing off the first coat of Klasse. He was heated!!!! Dude didn't even say hello, just kind of shuffled through the garage with his luggage and grunted in approval at the car. He definitely wasn't happy I was there. Truthfully I wasn't happy to see him either...LOL. After I finished off the exterior at about 9:30pm I went over some points regarding exterior care and we both agreed it would be best if I came back next week for the interior.

Came back next weekend to finish the job. After breakfast and another lengthy conversation I washed and put a second coat of Klasse on the exterior for $30. The interior was labor intensive!!!! It didn't help that she had recently taken the car to NC with her nephew and grandmother in the rear seat. Man, they did a number!! Sauce, juice stains, pen marks, you name it was back there. Dan, thanks for the tip on removing cat hair, it came in handy. She wasn't kidding when she said there was a lot. I spent about 2hrs removing cat hair from the seats and carpet alone. The dealership really did a lackluster prep job. I didn't bring the digi cam the second time around so I don't have pics of the interior but it turned out well, I was able to remove all of the blemishes. She was more than satisfied. I have some pictures from the detail on the exterior but they're not the best. Let me dig em up.

Overall it was good experience and I have permanent customer, hopefully she spreads the word. She confirmed she wants a third coat of Klasse on the car and full detail again in the spring.

Last edited by Technics; 11-28-04 at 04:34 PM.
Old 11-28-04, 05:18 PM
Guitarman

Awesome!

Even though it lacks the thematic excitement, I'm kinda glad she didn't make the moves on you, because although it might've been fun for the moment, who knows what the husband would do if he's indeed a hothead and found out. People have guns these days. They say fantasy is always better than reality anyway (though they probably just say that to make us feel better things like that didn't work out, lol)

The job sounded like a tough one, and we all get them from time to time. Makes the "easy" ones ( newer, well cared for cars) all the more sweet when they come.

Great story too, you kept us in suspense so long I was getting worried about ya!
Old 11-28-04, 06:24 PM
Technics
Lexus Champion

Awesome!

Even though it lacks the thematic excitement, I'm kinda glad she didn't make the moves on you, because although it might've been fun for the moment, who knows what the husband would do if he's indeed a hothead and found out. People have guns these days. They say fantasy is always better than reality anyway (though they probably just say that to make us feel better things like that didn't work out, lol)

The job sounded like a tough one, and we all get them from time to time. Makes the "easy" ones ( newer, well cared for cars) all the more sweet when they come.

Great story too, you kept us in suspense so long I was getting worried about ya!
I'm alright Dan!

Yeah, no doubt this dude would definitely try to bring it to me if he found out anything was going on. I could tell by the way he acted in the garage. I could take him though. You're right, it's probably better this way. There's always spring....just joking.

The car is a 2001 so the paint was in overall good shape but you could tell it had never been waxed and the surface was really rough. There were a lot of stains that I had to remove. After the wash and claying she couldn't believe how smooth the paint was. I followed up with the AIO polish using a cheap orbital buffer - it worked okay but I'm going to invest in a PC. It couldn't remove any of the surface scratches.

Here are some pics, excuse the quality, they really don't do the finished product justice. I'm going to invest in a better digi cam too

Before

After - 1st visit

After - 2nd visit

Quick Reply: Dan, what would you charge a friend for a full detail job?