Automotive Care & Detailing Discussions on washing, waxing, polishing, detailing, cleaning and maintaining the beauty of your Lexus.

Dan, what would you charge a friend for a full detail job?

Search this Thread

Old 10-13-04, 11:54 AM
Technics
Lexus Champion

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Dan, what would you charge a friend for a full detail job?

A nice lady at my job wants a full detail from me. On her car that is

I was just wondering how much you normally charge for a full detail and what it entails specifically. I've never done anyone else's car and I want to be sure I don't miss anything. I'm a slow worker and I don't want to overcharge but I also don't want to be doing this for nothing. How much should I be getting for my labor?
Old 10-13-04, 01:06 PM
lexusk8
Lexus Fanatic

Received 21 Likes on 12 Posts

Wow Technics, your co-worker must have seen the fruits of your labor. Lucky dog!
Old 10-13-04, 04:11 PM
TLW
Lexus Fanatic

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Default Re: Dan, what would you charge a friend for a full detail job?

Originally posted by Technics
A nice lady at my job wants a full detail from me. On her car that is

I was just wondering how much you normally charge for a full detail and what it entails specifically. I've never done anyone else's car and I want to be sure I don't miss anything. I'm a slow worker and I don't want to overcharge but I also don't want to be doing this for nothing. How much should I be getting for my labor?
is she pretty

i knows thats bad but i feel valid to better uh better to uh give an uh estimate

yeah thats the ticket
Old 10-13-04, 04:43 PM
lexusondubs
dubsonlexus

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

what does she consider full detail ??
Old 10-13-04, 04:44 PM
Guitarman

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Well, there are a lot of variables, including geographic area ( you can't veer too far off the "going" rate ) and the list of things you'll do, but generally...

You want to be in and around $20-$25 per hour for the total job. Now, MOST of my detail jobs consist of what is typically called a "wash & wax" and that includes (for me anyway) ;

1) wash
2) clay (I never wax without first claying-won't do it)
3) sealant
3) vacuume int/trunk
4) spot clean mats
5). windows
6) clean tirs + tire dressing

That takes me ~3 hours generally, and I get $75 for a car, $80 for a pickup and $90 for a SUV or minivan. So I'm at or slightly above $25 per hour there. When you factor your overhead in it is about right.

Severe issues such as serious carpet stains or scratches all cost extra. For people with newer cars that garage them, this usually works well. If a car needs swirl removal or other buffing, the $$$ climbs rather fast. It takes me as long to compound and polish a car as it does to do the whole wash & wax process, so you can do the math, and it sometimes doubles in price when I take out my rotary buffer. Most people are happy with a cleaner wax after clay. I think you'll find the majority of people that WANT their cars detailed take care of them somewhat in between my visits. Conversely, people that neglect their cars will usually scoff when you tell them to restore the paint and interior will cost them ~$175-$200. Unless they're about to sell it, they won't bother.

So...a "full detail" would entail bumper to bumper attention of almost every facet. I don't do these too much, it's too $$$ for most people near me at least. But you should charge anywhere from $125 to $225 for that, depending on time involved and vehicle size and condition.
You would ;

wash
clay
remove light scratches(compound)
polish
sealant
carpet shampoo with extractor
clean and dress all interior panels
clean tires + tire dressing
clean & dress leather
windows in.out
engine compartment (this I don't do-for liability reasons)

extras can include glass treatment (Rain X , Aquapel etc.)
Fabric and carpet protection (Scotchgard)
deodorizers of choice
paint touch-up
Carnauba topper (if you use a sealant prior)

The hard thing at first for you may be in estimating how long you'll need in hours. I've done it so long now that I can ballpark how many hours it'll take me right off, and I'm almost always within 1/2 hour of my guess. That helps in giving estimates on cars that don't fall squarely into an exact category of upkeep and need. I used to have to work an extra hour or even two, in my first couple years, and I ate some of that. Better to win over a potential regular customer than hit them up for more $$$ at the end of the job because it took you a lot longer, that's life. Quote a price and stick with it, people hate surprises (as do I).

Bear in mind; this is what my peers are charging in MY area as well. If I lived in a large Metro area like Orlando, Miami, New York etc. the price of a "wash & wax" or "full detail" would likely almost DOUBLE from my figures.

Hope this helps ya. Good luck!

Last edited by Guitarman; 10-13-04 at 10:23 PM.
Old 10-13-04, 04:56 PM
lexusondubs
dubsonlexus

very good explanation dan i was going to say people use the word detail very loosely so its important you ask them what exactly what the want done to the vehicle so you can better price it
Old 10-13-04, 05:00 PM
Guitarman

Another bit of advice;

Make sure you talk to your client and are on the same page about what will be done and what results she expects. If the car has bug gut paint damage on the front end, make sure she knows the difference between removing bug remains when washing and that you CAN'T remove the damage they've done if they were left on there to eat into the paint.. One man called me on this many years ago only to have me physically show him those marks were permanent because of the acids in the bug guts and the fact he never attended to them. He somehow expected a detail would make his bumper look brand new. NOT!

If they want a wax, make sure they understand it won't last as long as a sealant. That way, if it stops beading in 3 weeks, they can't call you back angry.

If you apply a silicone type protectant to the dash and door panels, ask if they prefer shiny, or satin/natural. No disappointments from the customer if they get what they want. Some are picky, some not. Ask questions to find out.

I could go on and on, but you get the drill. Communication can solve most concerns.

Last edited by Guitarman; 10-13-04 at 05:01 PM.
Old 10-13-04, 05:05 PM
TLW
Lexus Fanatic

again great info dan
Old 10-13-04, 05:19 PM
Technics
Lexus Champion

Default Re: Re: Dan, what would you charge a friend for a full detail job?

Originally posted by T.L.W.
is she pretty

i knows thats bad but i feel valid to better uh better to uh give an uh estimate

yeah thats the ticket
It's funny you ask that. She's new in the office, attractive and married. Seems like I'm drawn to older women or vice versa.

The funny thing is, she said: we have to "do this" at your house because my husband wouldn't appreciate another male at the house!!!

I was like
Old 10-13-04, 05:21 PM
lexusondubs
dubsonlexus

Default Re: Re: Re: Dan, what would you charge a friend for a full detail job?

It's funny you ask that. She's new in the office, attractive and married. Seems like I'm drawn to older women or vice versa.

The funny thing is, she said: we have to "do this" at your house because my husband wouldn't appreciate another male at the house!!!

I was like
ha ha you wish !!

j/k
Old 10-13-04, 05:38 PM
Technics
Lexus Champion

Originally posted by Guitarman
Well, there are a lot of variables, including geographic area ( you can't veer too far off the "going" rate ) and the list of things you'll do, but generally...

You want to be in and around $20-$25 per hour for the total job. Now, MOST of my detail jobs consist of what is typically called a "wash & wax" and that includes (for me anyway) ;

1) wash
2) clay (I never wax without first claying-won't do it)
3) vacuume int/trunk
4) spot clean mats
5). windows
6) clean tirs + tire dressing

That takes me ~3 hours generally, and I get $75 for a car, $80 for a pickup and $90 for a SUV or minivan. So I'm at or slightly above $25 per hour there. When you factor your overhead in it is about right.

Severe issues such as serious carpet stains or scratches all cost extra. For people with newer cars that garage them, this usually works well. If a car needs swirl removal or other buffing, the $$$ climbs rather fast. It takes me as long to compound and polish a car as it does to do the whole wash & wax process, so you can do the math, and it sometimes doubles in price when I take out my rotary buffer. Most people are happy with a cleaner wax after clay. I think you'll find the majority of people that WANT their cars detailed take care of them somewhat in between my visits. Conversely, people that neglect their cars will usually scoff when you tell them to restore the paint and interior will cost them ~$175-$200. Unless they're about to sell it, they won't bother.

So...a "full detail" would entail bumper to bumper attention of almost every facet. I don't do these too much, it's too $$$ for most people near me at least. But you should charge anywhere from $125 to $225 for that, depending on time involved and vehicle size and condition.
You would ;

wash
clay
remove light scratches(compound)
polish
carpet shampoo
clean and dress all interior panels
clean tires + tire dressing
clean & dress leather
windows in.out
engine compartment (this I don't do-for liability reasons)

extras can include glass treatment (Rain X , Aquapel etc.)
Fabric and carpet protection (Scotchgard)
deodorizers of choice
paint touch-up
Carnauba topper (if you use a sealant prior)

The hard thing at first for you may be in estimating how long you'll need in hours. I've done it so long now that I can ballpark how many hours it'll take me right off, and I'm almost always within 1/2 hour of my guess. That helps in giving estimates on cars that don't fall squarely into an exact category of upkeep and need. I used to have to work an extra hour or even two, in my first couple years, and I ate some of that. Better to win over a potential regular customer than hit them up for more $$$ at the end of the job because it took you a lot longer, that's life. Quote a price and stick with it, people hate surprises (as do I).

Bear in mind; this is what my peers are charging in MY area as well. If I lived in a large Metro area like Orlando, Miami, New York etc. the price of a "wash & wax" or "full detail" would likely almost DOUBLE from my figures.

Hope this helps ya. Good luck!
Dan, great info thanks.

The car is a pre owned Acura TL and I haven't throughly inspected the paint yet but from what I've seen it appears to be in good condition.

Her main concern centers around two things. Number one: I brought up the fact that I rountinely wax my car and I would be applying a sealant for the winter. So she wants her car detailed and sealed for the winter. Number two: there is a large amount of cat hair (the previous owner must have had a lot of animals in the car) stuck in between the crevices in the leather. So she wants me to make sure those animal fibers are completely gone as well. She mentioned there was one scratch on the hood that went through the clear coat and another scratch on top of the clear coat. I already explained I should be able to work with the lighter scratch but the other one will require touch up paint.

On the subject of sealant. After washing,claying and polishing can the sealant be applied instead of wax? Or do both have to be done? I'm sure you know the nasty winters we have here and I'll be sealing my car and I know she wants hers sealed too.

As far as labor is concerned, I'll be doing everything by hand. I'm a very slow worker. There's no way I can do everything you listed in three hours In the prices you quoted me are you including the use of any machine? Or is this all by hand? She mentioned about $150 to do all the detail work and also replace her two windshield wiper blades. I told her I would research and get back to her. From what you've said though, that price sounds about right.

I have most of the product needed to detail her car now. I had planned on buying Klasse since I need it myself as well. As a detailer you absorb the price of the actual product right?

I'll take your outline, sit down with her and let her know what services I'll be performing. Thanks once again. Sorry to bombard with further questions.

Last edited by Technics; 10-13-04 at 05:49 PM.
Old 10-13-04, 05:40 PM
Technics
Lexus Champion

Default Re: Re: Re: Re: Dan, what would you charge a friend for a full detail job?

Originally posted by lexusondubs
ha ha you wish !!

j/k
I'll let you know!!! She is married though
Old 10-13-04, 06:54 PM
TLW
Lexus Fanatic

Default Re: Re: Re: Dan, what would you charge a friend for a full detail job?

I was like
just got very interesting

might be reading something in the clubhouse soon

good luck "waxing it " LOLLOLOLOLOL

damn i m funny
Old 10-13-04, 10:01 PM
Guitarman

Man, this thread could easily get into some ..ehh...dangerous territory, regarding "tips" etc. I'll just leave it go at that i think. You dogg you...

Let me address your other questions. Bear in mind, everyone has a slightly different approach to all this, so don't read this as gospel...

The animal hair will require either a powerful shop vac, and/or that in conjunction with some duct tape wrapped around your hand, sticky side out to grab the stubborn hairs.

As far as the sealant in sequence is concerned, YES, you have the order correct. After you polish, you apply that. You can then top it with a carnauba but she will likely never notice the difference.

As far as machine work goes, NO to the "wash & wax" job. I do that all by hand there. I use either Zaino or NXT, depending on customer. I charge a bit more for Zaino because it involves a bit more time since there's an extra step the 1st time. For a "full detail" well.... that will involve the use of a rotary buffer to either compound and polish, or just polish. At this point in my life I can't imagine compounding /and or polishing a whole car without a machine. More power to ya if you do it that way, no reason it can't turn out fine . Just sore arms and more time involved, that's all. That hurts your bottom ( $$$) line yes, but you have to do what is at your disposal, and it's good to learn that way at first.

The price will reflect just what is needed. $150 is fair to both of you. Yes, the price of the product overhead is wrapped up in your estimate, we have to absorb that. Cheers.

P.S. I hope this detail doesn't turn up on Penthouse Forum! ( But let me know if it does).
Old 10-13-04, 10:29 PM
Guitarman

DOH! I had to go edit my 1st post because I forgot to add "sealant" in both the "wash & wax" and "full detail" list. Yeah...that might be kinda important eh? lol

Hey, I'm getting too damn old I think. Pass the Geritol.

Quick Reply: Dan, what would you charge a friend for a full detail job?