Automotive Care & Detailing Discussions on washing, waxing, polishing, detailing, cleaning and maintaining the beauty of your Lexus.

Soundproofing Wet!

Search this Thread

Old 10-15-04, 11:56 AM
Philly#1 Lex
Lead Lap

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Soundproofing Wet!

Well guitarman I finally found the cause of that nasty smell! When my wife left the window in the car a month or two ago it rained alot and alot of water got into the carpet. I thought I dried it all up but to my surpisse the smell was still in the car. I lifted the carpet tonight and to my surpise the was buckets of water under the carpet The Soundproofing seemed to absorb the water and its been in there every since Darn woman I plan to take the whole carpet out tomorrow and let it dry out and clean the car good. My question is can I get that nasty moldy smell out of the soundproofing or should I junk it altoghther? I dont want the RX to be louder but I dont want the smell in their either! I would love to RaMMatt the entire floor but dont have enough left over raMMatt to do the entire floor Help

Philly
Old 10-15-04, 01:05 PM
Guitarman

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Philly, not knowing exactly what the composition of the matting is, I can't tell you whether or not you can get the mildew out. I think I would try an antimicrobial product on it like this 'Bio Clean' stuff;

http://www.allergystore.com/mold.htm

and see if that takes care of it. It's more affordable than replacing the matting.

It makes sense that it acted like a sponge that way. Not having taken up the carpet in my GS, I'm unfamiliar with what lexus uses or what it looks like. I have seen it on my Ford, but it's likely not the same stuff. Try that, or at least a bleach & water mixture, followed by a powerful wet vac to remove the moisture afterward. Good luck!

Last edited by Guitarman; 10-15-04 at 01:06 PM.