Automotive Care & Detailing Discussions on washing, waxing, polishing, detailing, cleaning and maintaining the beauty of your Lexus.

what else beside's Griot's Rubber and Tire Dressing is petroleum and silicone free?

Search this Thread

Old 10-18-04, 12:24 AM
nthach
Lexus Champion

Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts
Default what else beside's Griot's Rubber and Tire Dressing is petroleum and silicone free?

Are there any alternatives? I don't want to defile my tires with Eagle One, No Touch or Armor All.
Old 10-18-04, 10:05 AM
Guitarman

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

FWIW, all silicones are not created equal, some are better than others. The water -based ( polydimethylsiloxane) variety are fine for tires. But yes, you are smart to avoid the petroleum distillate (dimethyl silicone oil) variety, as they break down the micro wax that tire manufacturers put in them, and cause cracking and discoloration. Here's a quote from GeekySteve , who some may know from his website and at Autopia, on this subject;

While doing research for our forthcoming Tire & Wheel Care Guide, I spoke with tire engineers from Michelin, Goodyear, Bridgestone and the US DOT. Learned a lot of things...Everyone that I spoke to about dressings said that dressings are not recommended for tires, but the "least harmful" dressings are water-based. They all suggested that solvent-based dressings should be avoided if possible, because the solvents can have an adverse effect on the tire compounds.The Michelin engineer said that they will not honor a tire warranty if it's been discovered that a solvent-based dressing was ever used on the tire.
Now , as for a NO silicone tire dressing, 3M makes one;
http://products3.3m.com/catalog/us/e...er/output_html

Note they say "safe for paint shop enviornments". This would be the main reason you'd want to avoid silicone because it interferes with spraying paint (paint doesn't stick to silicone).

Here's another link on the subject; http://www.bettercarcare.com/articles.php?articleId=42

The only way to be sure with other products, is to call the manufacturer, or read the lables or run a MSDS on it. You can glean a "general" rule of thumb by color; If it's milky white in appearance, it's likely water-based, if it's clear and heavier in consistency, it's oil based. Not 100% in every case, but a good rule of thumb. Someone needs to get a MSDS from every manufacturer on this and lable each product accordingly. If I only had the time.

And remember; tires are relatively short-lived parts of your car, most of us replace them within 2-3 years. Chances are, even if you accidently use a petrol-based dressing, they're NOT likely going to self-destruct before you're going to replace them anyway. It's good to be concerned, and want the best for our tires, but we have to avoid hysteria on the matter too. If it were a permanent part of the car it would be a different matter altogether, but they are sacrificial in nature.

Some water based dressings are;

303 Aerospace protectant
Lexol Vinylex
Zaino Perfect Tire Gloss
Griots Garage Vinyl & Rubber Dressing
Meguiars #40
Meguiars W-dressing
Mothers Preserves
Eagle One Interior/Exterior Protectant (Satin Finish Tire Shine is discontinued)
Einszett Cockpit Premium
Einszett Tiefenpfleger
Klasse VLR
AutoMagic Dress-It (for $1 more than 16oz of Poorboys stuff you can have a gallon of this stuff)
All Brite V6
Valugard Rubber Protector
Pinnacle

Last edited by Guitarman; 10-18-04 at 10:09 AM.
Old 10-24-04, 05:05 PM
RA40
Super Moderator

Received 470 Likes on 362 Posts

Good post...

Since some of these can be used on the vinyl interior pieces, any info in this regard? Cracking, color shifts...
Old 10-24-04, 07:38 PM
Guitarman

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Since some of these can be used on the vinyl interior pieces, any info in this regard? Cracking, color shifts...

You won't have any such problems with the water based (white thin liquids usually) dressings, as all those listed would have PDMS (polydimethylsiloxane) silicones and no petroleum distillates (remember-oil& water don't mix, so water based means no dimethyl oils or PDs).

The 303 and Vinylex are widely used on interiors. Vinylex is a bit shinier, 303 is matte.
Old 10-27-04, 10:05 AM
b1gredek
Lexus Test Driver

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

i wish i knew what brand i am using but i love it, got a bottle from americas tire company, the stuff they use everytime they work on a customers car, not as shiny as the other brands but they dont go flying off the tire on to the car leaving black marks over the bumper, and as far as i know it is water based and safe cause if it wasnt they wouldnt use it on their customers cars