Automotive Care & Detailing Discussions on washing, waxing, polishing, detailing, cleaning and maintaining the beauty of your Lexus.

Need suggestion

Search this Thread

Old 10-30-04, 03:01 PM
LB Lex
Lexus Champion

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally posted by JellyBean
No. It's also true for any polymer or acrylic sealant like Klasse SG, Wolfgang, and others.
So after polishing my car I should wash it to get rid of the oils left by the polish?

Addendum: I just finished surfing the Meguiar's site and the Sticky in the forum here. It seems that with Meguiar's products you can use a polish (show car glaze) then a wax on top of it (includes #16 wax and #20 polymer sealant). It's different with Zaino products, that's why I was unsure.

Last edited by LB Lex; 10-30-04 at 03:25 PM.
Old 10-30-04, 03:29 PM
JellyBean
Lead Lap

Received 13 Likes on 7 Posts

Originally posted by LB Lex
So after polishing my car I should wash it to get rid of the oils left by the polish?
No. My comment referred to applying a polymer or acrylic sealant (not a wax) over a glaze. A sealant needs to adhere directly to paint. That's why you shouldn't apply it over glaze if you want it to last. A glaze, you see, contains oils and fillers to essentially cover swirl marks. After glazing you can then apply your wax of choice.

A polish (or at least my definition of a polish), on the other hand, uses either chemical or abrasive action to smooth out the paint without leaving any residue. You can then apply your wax or sealant to protect the surface.

If you're new to detailing, like we all were at one time, you may want to look around a detailing forum like Autopia. Good luck and enjoy.
Old 10-30-04, 03:50 PM
LB Lex
Lexus Champion

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Jellybean- thanks for the input. I have been using 3M's Imperial Hand Glaze for a while now and then a conventional wax on top of it. When the Meguiar's sealant arrives I was going to use it after I glazed the car. I've never used a sealant before, so this information (no sealants on top of glaze) is new to me. Looks like I'll be looking for a bottle of pure polish to bring out the gloss in the paint, then I'll use the sealant to seal the paint.

I've heard that using a pure carnuba wax on top of a sealer helps to make the paint really shine. This is from Autopia called The Perfect Shine:
You're almost there. The final step, the literal icing on the cake, is waxing. You may be asking, "After polishing and sealing, why wax?" The answer lies in the richness of color, depth and clarity that only a high-quality carnauba wax can bring out on a polished surface. For this job I reach for Pinnacle Souveran. Pinnacle Souveran Wax is a true show car wax. Compared to other show car waxes of similar formula, Pinnacle Souveran offers the most stunning results on black and red cars. Pinnacle Souveran brings out a warmth and depth on red and yellow that is hard to duplicate. On black and dark blue cars, the paint looks like a reflection in a pool of water. Close seconds to Souveran are Pinnacle Signature Series and P21S Carnauba Wax.
And here's one more from a different section:
Show Car Tricks
Detailers that prepare show cars will often layer a carnauba wax on top of a synthetic wax. The synthetic wax acts as a gloss layer, while the carnauba wax adds depth and a wet-looking appearance. One combination that works well is an initial coating of Klasse All-In-One followed by one or more coats of P21S Carnauba Wax.
I hope you guys find this helpful.
Old 10-30-04, 04:11 PM
audphile1
Pole Position

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Eric. It seems to be that almost everything about how you work with zaino is different from conventional waxes. For example you can not have any wax on the car prior to applying zaino for the first time. They recommend washing your car with liquid Dawn. And Dawn seems to be very agressive on the wax, becasue after I wahsed the car with Dawn, there was no more Zymol left on the paint. I could see that by just spraying the car with water and I couldn't see any water beads. So, when working with zaino for the first time, the paint should be oil and wax free. Once the zaino is applied you can apply as more coats of zaino after that as you desire. You can even apply 100 coats of zaino if you have the time and willingness. But once you go over zaino with conventional carnauba wax, I would not apply any more zaino past that point.