Automotive Care & Detailing Discussions on washing, waxing, polishing, detailing, cleaning and maintaining the beauty of your Lexus.

Need suggestion

Search this Thread

Old 10-27-04, 09:39 PM
audphile1
Pole Position

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Need suggestion

I am trying to get my car ready for zaino this weekend. The finish feels very smooth, but I decided to clay few parts of the car anyway(probably end up claying the entire car). However, I can't seem to get the rear bumper clean right behind the wheels. It seems to have lots of road grime and brake dust that just doesn't come off with regular washings. I would appreciate any advice on how to remove that grime off the bumper. I don't want to go there with a clay because I think one pass over this area with a clay bar will turn the clay into garbage. Please see the attached image to better understand what part of the bumper I am having problem with cleaning. Thanks!!!
Attached Thumbnails Need suggestion-img_2398-copy_clublex.jpg  
Old 10-28-04, 07:27 AM
Guitarman

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

That needs a compound and / or polish. That will clean it up well and you'll be set for Zaino.

If you want to go "on the cheap" then look for KIT Scratch-Out, it's a medium grit abrasive polish in a bright yellow plastic container. Meguiar's makes a solvent-based cleaner polish called "Body Scrub" that would also work well. If you have a 3M retailer nearby, look for Finesse-It II Finishing Material OR their Machine Glaze (you can use it by hand),

If you find it really resistant, 3M Fine-Cut rubbing compound, followed by one of the above lighter polishes should have you all set.
Old 10-28-04, 07:54 AM
jfelbab

Received 58 Likes on 45 Posts

Use the clay but do it last. If you are trying to save a couple bucks on clay cut a small piece of clay off the bar and use that. Clay is inexpensive. You could also use a paint cleaner, which I'd recommend anyway, like Meguiar's Medallion Premium Paint Cleaner (MPPC).

Clay will remove the contaminants that are above the paint's surface and MPPC will remove the contaminants that are below the paint surface.
Old 10-28-04, 08:39 AM
Blanco
Lexus Test Driver

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Question

Why not try bug&tar remover first?? It's cheap. THEN if that doesn't get it, try Dan's method. Based on what I see, looks like a bad case of road tar. I would only polish/compound as a last resort.

Let us know how it turns out.
Old 10-28-04, 10:09 AM
audphile1
Pole Position

Thanks all. Great suggestions. I will ork on it either tonight or tomorrow. Will post update about what worked best. Interesting that when I spoke with Zaino about it, he suggested trying some wd40 on it first. Weird advice, but wd40 is something I keep around the house, so I will give that a shot as well. WIll let you guys know how it worked out. May be usefull for everyone if it workes out good. Thanks again. Still amazes me how responsive you people are. Your suggestions are greatly appreciated.
Old 10-28-04, 05:16 PM
mooretorque
Lexus Champion

Received 4 Likes on 1 Post
Talking

This thread got me thinking. The underside of the rear quarter panel just aft of the wheel well is always crappy plus getting any rocks/debris to chip the paing that the rear tires throw up. Lexus was obviously aware of this at one time since both my SCs had a body colored sheet of some material covering the metal pretty much over the entire area in audphile's picture.

Maybe this would be a good place for Stonegard or some other version of that 3M coating; I posted elsewhere that Lexus is coming out (probably already has in some markets) with a Lexus branded version available either as a dealer or port installed option for the front end of the car. It could even be replaced periodically fairly cheaply, leaving one with clean flanks..............

Reasonable idea, or have I just had too much to drink again??? Dan?

Last edited by mooretorque; 10-28-04 at 05:17 PM.
Old 10-28-04, 05:30 PM
audphile1
Pole Position

hmmm. I think it is not worth it on that part of the car. I fully agree with putting a clear bra or something similar in the front of the car, but not on that rear bumper part. I am just trying to get this cleaned so I can apply some zaino on it.
Old 10-28-04, 07:33 PM
Guitarman

I personally think Mooretorque's idea is great, it's a perfect (and overlooked ) part of every car that would benefit from clear film there. When I detail cars, that is one of the grimiest areas and also gets some paint chips etc. from the tires throwing debris up against it. Beats mud flaps at least. lol

If I were going to get the clear bra done, I'd spring for a couple extra pieces behind the rear wheels. Good thinking M/T.:Keep drinking! : )
Old 10-28-04, 08:04 PM
Blanco
Lexus Test Driver

Lightbulb

Originally posted by Guitarman
I personally think Mooretorque's idea is great, it's a perfect (and overlooked ) part of every car that would benefit from clear film there. When I detail cars, that is one of the grimiest areas and also gets some paint chips etc. from the tires throwing debris up against it. Beats mud flaps at least. lol

If I were going to get the clear bra done, I'd spring for a couple extra pieces behind the rear wheels. Good thinking M/T.:Keep drinking! : )
Here, Here!!
Old 10-29-04, 10:34 PM
audphile1
Pole Position

Default Updated: clean bumper

Hey, the stuff I was saying I can't get off the rear bumper was removed using wd40. I sprayed wd40 on the bumper part I was having trouble cleaning as well as on the plastic right below the doors. I had to let it sit for about 2-3 minutes, then wiped it off. The tar is no more. Did the zaino after this. I used 100% USA made cotton towels just like recommended on zaino site. Took me little over 3hrs to do the car including wash with dawn and wax with zaino. Since my car was so smooth I decided not to clay it at this time. Probably should have though. What I did is washed it good with dawn, dried it and let it sit for about 20 minutes. I the did one final check up with a towel. Although I only applied 1 coat of zaino and followed with gloss enhancing spray, it was enough to blow away anything else I used in the past. Zymol doesn't even come close to this stuff. It's simply amazing. I have a silver LS430 and was sceptical about how much gloss the car will have after zaino. I was shocked. It's like a mirror. The more you buff it the more it glows. Simply amazing. I will do another coat in the morning when I wake up, because I am feeling a little tired right now, especially after working all day and then waxing the car. But, I got to tell you people who don't believe the zaino will make a difference, try it out and you won't believe your eyes! I will see what another coat of this stuff will do. Also, I have applied zaino tire gloss as well. It's great. Doesn't shine as much as meguiars, but I like it more I think. It just give the tires that natural satin black. great stuff people. Plus it dries quickly and is not greeasy at all, so it won't sling. At least that;s what it seems like. I highly recommend zaino. A++++
Old 10-30-04, 12:02 AM
LB Lex
Lexus Champion

Default Re: Updated: clean bumper

Originally posted by audphile1
Hey, the stuff I was saying I can't get off the rear bumper was removed using wd40. I sprayed wd40 on the bumper part I was having trouble cleaning as well as on the plastic right below the doors. I had to let it sit for about 2-3 minutes, then wiped it off. The tar is no more. Did the zaino after this. I used 100% USA made cotton towels just like recommended on zaino site. Took me little over 3hrs to do the car including wash with dawn and wax with zaino. Since my car was so smooth I decided not to clay it at this time. Probably should have though. What I did is washed it good with dawn, dried it and let it sit for about 20 minutes. I the did one final check up with a towel. Although I only applied 1 coat of zaino and followed with gloss enhancing spray, it was enough to blow away anything else I used in the past. Zymol doesn't even come close to this stuff. It's simply amazing. I have a silver LS430 and was sceptical about how much gloss the car will have after zaino. I was shocked. It's like a mirror. The more you buff it the more it glows. Simply amazing. I will do another coat in the morning when I wake up, because I am feeling a little tired right now, especially after working all day and then waxing the car. But, I got to tell you people who don't believe the zaino will make a difference, try it out and you won't believe your eyes! I will see what another coat of this stuff will do. Also, I have applied zaino tire gloss as well. It's great. Doesn't shine as much as meguiars, but I like it more I think. It just give the tires that natural satin black. great stuff people. Plus it dries quickly and is not greeasy at all, so it won't sling. At least that;s what it seems like. I highly recommend zaino. A++++
Most likely it was road tar on your car because the solvent (WD40) removed it. I think you should have polished it with a good polish (3M Imperial Handglaze or similar product) before putting on the wax (Zaino) because you want to make sure the paint is in excellent condition before putting on a protective coating (aka wax). After every wash, I use The Wax Shop's Super Glaze on the areas of the car you're talking about because it has solvents that removes road grime/tar and leaves an extra coat of wax so it will be easier to remove the grime when it gets on it again.

I haven't tried Zaino. Today I just got my hands on a can of Meguiar's #16 (professional paste wax). I'm waiting for a bottle of Meguiar's #20 (polymer sealant) to arrive. I plan on using #20 to seal the paint and then #16 to bring out the shine. I'll let you guys know how this combo works. I've heard good things about it, I hope it works just as well as the Zaino.
Old 10-30-04, 08:41 AM
Guitarman

Eric, those are good suggestions, but he can't use a glaze like Imperial Hand Glaze prior to Zaino, it won't bond well due to the oils in the glaze. The paint has to be squeaky clean for Zaino to work as it should.

If he was putting a wax on then he could certainly do that. Thanks for the input, let us know how your process turns out.
Old 10-30-04, 10:00 AM
LB Lex
Lexus Champion

Originally posted by Guitarman
Eric, those are good suggestions, but he can't use a glaze like Imperial Hand Glaze prior to Zaino, it won't bond well due to the oils in the glaze. The paint has to be squeaky clean for Zaino to work as it should.
Is this true with only Zaino?
Old 10-30-04, 11:41 AM
JellyBean
Lead Lap

Received 13 Likes on 7 Posts

Originally posted by LB Lex
Is this true with only Zaino?
No. It's also true for any polymer or acrylic sealant like Klasse SG, Wolfgang, and others.
Old 10-30-04, 02:28 PM
jfelbab

Received 58 Likes on 45 Posts

The only exception that I know of is Meguiar's NXT. NXT is a polymer sealant that works just fine and bonds well over an oily polish like #7 or #81.

Quick Reply: Need suggestion