Automotive Care & Detailing Discussions on washing, waxing, polishing, detailing, cleaning and maintaining the beauty of your Lexus.

Fresh paint isn't as shiny as original can this be polished up?

Search this Thread

Old 10-28-04, 03:36 PM
RA40
Super Moderator

Received 470 Likes on 362 Posts
Default Fresh paint isn't as shiny as original can this be polished up?

I just had a small area (about 4x4") repainted, the color match is excellent and I cannot tell except for the slight difference in the glossy finish. It isn't quite as shiny as the original clear coat when viewed at that just right angle.

With the paint being this fresh, is there a way for me to polish this area a bit so that it matches the shine of the surrounding panel?
Old 10-28-04, 09:32 PM
Guitarman

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

The short answer is yes, generally you can. It *may* depend on what type and what quality paint they used. The higher-end clears are as good or better than oem. If they went low-end (to save them and you $$$) then it's possible you won't get the same gloss out of it, even after you polish. I have mentioned a term called "DOI", which in the body shop world refers to "definition of image". This is a clearcoats' ability to reflect in relation to how water reflects on a given surface. Water has a DOI of 10, the best clears get to 9. The lower priced clears may be 7 or 8. You just won't get as true a reflection from a clear that is a 7, as opposed to something like Spies Hecker (high-end German paint ) that is a 9. You can polish all day and it won't happen. Better resins etc.

You can try your hand at polishing, but you may need to lightly wetsand it then compound & polish.

How did they do at matching the texture? If the new paint has the same amount of orange peel, this limits you and you can't wetsand much, or you risk making the new paint look a lot flatter (removing the orange peel ) and making it more conspicuous to the eye. If they sprayed it with more orange peel then the oem paint, then you can block it a bit and get the texture closer, while at the same time polish it up to an even shine.

Start with a medium grade polish then a swirl remover, and see if that helps. You don't need to wetsand if that works.
Old 10-28-04, 10:28 PM
RA40
Super Moderator

Received 470 Likes on 362 Posts

Considering this is 7 year old paint, I had debated whether their rubbing it or painting would really improve it. By the time I called, the job had been completed and it was sprayed. While the overall job is good, it doesn't match the original finish, yet I didn't expect it to. (My quandry)

It is located at a portion not readily referenced by another panel so it will be an eye sore only to me. If I can possibly ease my perceptions of this, I'll certainly have a go and see if I can rub it a bit more.

Following this, what would the suggested time be before I can run a layer of wax on it? I hear things about paint curing and breathing that I'm not familar with such cases like this.

Thanks Dan!
Old 10-28-04, 10:42 PM
Guitarman

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

RA, If it was baked after painting, 1 week to 10 days is generally sufficient. If it was simply sprayed and not baked, then wait at least 30 days. 6 weeks or a couple months is even better. Call the shop and ask, that will remove any doubts.