Automotive Care & Detailing Discussions on washing, waxing, polishing, detailing, cleaning and maintaining the beauty of your Lexus.

What are the disadvantages washing after new paint?

Search this Thread

Old 10-28-04, 04:34 PM
Little_D
Driver School Candidate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default What are the disadvantages washing after new paint?

Just wanted to know what are the disadvantages if the car is wash or polish a day after it painted. Can Z6 be apply to the new paint?

Thanks
Old 10-28-04, 09:18 PM
Guitarman

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Was the car baked? If it went into the paint oven then it's at 80% cure right after, and within a day or 2 after it's hard enough to wash, just be sure to dry it and not leave any water to bead on it. You can always apply "paint shop safe" products, anything without wax or polymer is fine the first week. Quick detailers without wax (like Z6) won't hurt at all. 3M polishes and the Meguiar's pro line have many polishes / compounds that can be used immediately after the car is painted.

Just avoid sealing it for about 1 week if it was baked, or 30 days minimum if it wasn't. Those are the "general" guidelines from the paint shop I deal with, as they apply to today's urethanes. If you have any doubts, just ask the people that painted it.
Old 10-29-04, 12:30 AM
Little_D
Driver School Candidate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Thanks, no doubt here. You are pretty good in this field . Normally, when I come to pickup something left for painting the body shop just told me not to wash it with soap or wax until 2 week later but I never bother to ask why. I am just curious since I drop off my rear bumper with a lip molded onto it off for painting and the car had to be clean on sat so that's why I asked. Also, will presure wash too strong for the new paint? To my knowledge almost all car wash places use presure washer to wash the car.

I don't think they would bake this piece, it's just the rear bumper, however, I'll ask though.

One more question for you.
My car currently colored black onyx, and i found that there are quite a lot of scratches and swirls, I'll have a complete detail soon to get rid of it. Question is would it worth any to have a body shop put a few coat of clear on there (well, I got to leave the car to get the hood repainted due to many rock chip anyway)?

Thanks
Anthony

Originally posted by Guitarman
Was the car baked? If it went into the paint oven then it's at 80% cure right after, and within a day or 2 after it's hard enough to wash, just be sure to dry it and not leave any water to bead on it. You can always apply "paint shop safe" products, anything without wax or polymer is fine the first week. Quick detailers without wax (like Z6) won't hurt at all. 3M polishes and the Meguiar's pro line have many polishes / compounds that can be used immediately after the car is painted.

Just avoid sealing it for about 1 week if it was baked, or 30 days minimum if it wasn't. Those are the "general" guidelines from the paint shop I deal with, as they apply to today's urethanes. If you have any doubts, just ask the people that painted it.
Old 10-29-04, 07:33 AM
Guitarman

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Anthony, pressure washing *should* be avoided during curing, since the car ( probably ) wasn't baked it's still off -gassing solvents and hardening....body shop paint cures chemically (not by air) and you should give it it's time before you put high pressure water on it IMO. Hand washing is best right now. remember not to leave water sit on any painted panel for very long (spotting can occur much easier and possibly damage the paint if it's not fully cured).

As for having the shop spray some extra clear on the car, well, yes...it can be done, won't be cheap...and not every shop will do it for you either.They would have to scuff the existing paint with 800 to 1000 grit and re clear it. 2 coats max is best. More isn't necessarily better because once you get too much paint on a car (~9-10 mils ) you can start to get cracking, checking etc.

I think you'd be better served to have a pro detail it well to remove the scratches and swirls, then work hard to avoid them in the future. Yeah, black is tough to keep perfect, well...check that...it's near impossible. It's your wallet though, so good luck whatever you decide.