Automotive Care & Detailing Discussions on washing, waxing, polishing, detailing, cleaning and maintaining the beauty of your Lexus.

moisture in trunk

Search this Thread

Old 11-12-04, 04:24 PM
ArmyofOne
Dysfunctional Veteran

Received 160 Likes on 112 Posts
Default moisture in trunk

living in the climate i live in, very humid sometimes, i get a moisture smell, almost of mildew, but notquite. is there something i can put in my trunk to absorb the moiture, so i dont have to air it out oince a week?i think i have a leak somewhere, btu i dont want the trunk to mildew.
Old 11-12-04, 06:21 PM
JellyBean
Lead Lap

Received 13 Likes on 7 Posts

Silica gel? But that'll only briefly cover up the symptoms. It has to be a leak. I don't hear the Haiwaiians or the Floridians complaining about musty odors. I'm also in TX (DFW) and I don't have any musty odors. Good luck.
Old 11-12-04, 07:23 PM
ArmyofOne
Dysfunctional Veteran

get int the Regional Forum and get on the DFW ROll Call list...which area in DFW?? southside?

isnt there some sort of de-humidifier i can use?

EDIT:

ther is water down by where my jack sits ont he passenger side, behind the pop off panel, that is the smell, but what do i do about it?

how do i track down a leak in the trunk?

fold down the rear seat and have somebody look inb the trunk while i spray it with a hose?

Last edited by ArmyofOne; 11-12-04 at 07:25 PM.
Old 11-12-04, 09:49 PM
Guitarman

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Are you familiar with Damp Rid? It's a calcium chloride based product that people use in closets and cellars etc. to remove moisture, and I've used it a couple times in cars for issues like yours. The only hard part would be to make sure the plastic bowl that you put the flakes /granules in doesn't tip over since you'll be moving and turning etc.

Just place some old towels around in and leave it as secure a spot as possible. After a day or 2 check it, and dump it if it's wet and liquid, then add more dry granules till you stop absorbing most of the moisture. May take a week or 2 to get it all out.

Good luck.
Old 11-12-04, 11:47 PM
GRAND_LS 4
3UZ-FEEEE

Received 18 Likes on 13 Posts

I have no idea what car your talking about, but im going to venture and say it has a sun roof, did you check the sunroof drain tubes? they have water lines running from your sunroof to the rear passenger quarter in your trunk. It might got off track adn started spilling water on the trunk instead.
Old 11-13-04, 08:25 PM
ArmyofOne
Dysfunctional Veteran

Originally posted by GRAND_LS 4
I have no idea what car your talking about, but im going to venture and say it has a sun roof, did you check the sunroof drain tubes? they have water lines running from your sunroof to the rear passenger quarter in your trunk. It might got off track adn started spilling water on the trunk instead.

it does have a mood roof (1990 ES250...Camry...ony better) but, i dont see any drain tubes, i will look tomorrow.

yes i have heard fo damprid, i just didnt think of it...could i put it inside the side compartment?, just pour it in and vaccum it out every week?
Old 11-13-04, 08:40 PM
Guitarman

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

yes i have heard fo damprid, i just didnt think of it...could i put it inside the side compartment?, just pour it in and vaccum it out every week?
If it's a plastic lined compartment or bin, then I see no reason why not. If it's got any vinyl or fabric in there then it would be better to use the plastic bins that come with it, otherwise you might get damage from the calcium chloride.
Old 11-13-04, 11:57 PM
ArmyofOne
Dysfunctional Veteran

its aclually not lined with anything, its just metal...

you know, i wonder if i have any underbody rust...being a TX car, i wouldnt think so, but this comartment is RIGH behind the pass. wheel well. i looked today and i cant seem to find any leaks int he trunk...gotta be underneath...