Automotive Care & Detailing Discussions on washing, waxing, polishing, detailing, cleaning and maintaining the beauty of your Lexus.

color sand and buff or just buff?

Search this Thread

Old 12-03-04, 10:02 AM
LEXISM
Lexus Champion

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default color sand and buff or just buff?

my car is in a need a good buff job but i was wondering If I should have my car just buffed or color sanded and buffed... what do you experts think? and any locations in SOCAL that you might recommened ?
Old 12-03-04, 08:02 PM
Guitarman

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

On oem paint, you really do NOT want to colorsand the paint unless there's a very good reason to. The paint is too thin, and EVERY car manufacture dictates that no more than .3 to .5 of ONE MIL (modern paint is apprx ~2 MILS thick) should not be removed via wetsanding or buffing. The reason is that the UV inhibitors that are in the paint migrate up to the surface when curing, and if you remove most or all of them, the clear WILL fail prematurely. It's all dependent upon how much sun the car sees as to just how fast it will happen, but it eventually WILL if the UV is gone.

Have it buffed, using the least abrasive compound or polish necessary to give you the result you want. That's your best bet if you want your paint to last a few more years. Now...If you had a repaint and the body shop applied a couple extra coats of clear, then by all means wetsand away till it's nice and flat etc. (no orange peel) . On OEM paint, ...sure...you can do it, but you'd better start saving for a repaint if the car is going to see much sun load. Hope that helps, good luck.