Automotive Care & Detailing Discussions on washing, waxing, polishing, detailing, cleaning and maintaining the beauty of your Lexus.

New Paint. Worth to Zaino?

Search this Thread

Old 12-07-04, 08:53 PM
OlschoolGs
Driver

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default New Paint. Worth to Zaino?

My car has been freshly painted top to bottom for about 2 months now, it hasnt moved from the shop because im waiting for some parts. Im just wondering if it is worth to use zaino on it, or just waxing it with meguiars. i do want a great shine on it, but i was thinking using a clay bar, washing with dawn will be harmful to 2month old paint.
Old 12-07-04, 09:45 PM
Guitarman

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Olschool, I'd personally wait till the car's out of the shop because if you're getting other things done, and possibly more sprayed parts, there's a good chance the car will get some ancillary overspray on it between the time you do what you're talking about (Zaino, Meguiar's etc.) and the time it sees the light of day outside. Be a shame to have to clay it 2x and waste wax + labor.

The paint is cured enough by now, so that's no problem, but putting protection from the elements on it now may be a somewhat moot point at the moment.

Maybe ask the shop if they feel it'll get overspray ( from other cars as well) and such on it or not, and decide if you can take their word at that.

It's your time though, do it if it makes you feel good. Clay surely will be a must as a first step. Post some pics of the car when you get her home.

Last edited by Guitarman; 12-07-04 at 09:45 PM.
Old 12-07-04, 10:10 PM
OlschoolGs
Driver

the parts im waiting for are for the interior, im going to swap the whole interior with another, and i dont want to bring it home, then end up driving it back. its pretty dusty now. So when i finally get it home should i clay bar, wash, and wax? or just wash and wax? Buffer, or no buffer? im just used to washing my cars and then applying 1 coat wax by hand.
Old 12-08-04, 08:06 AM
Guitarman

I'd ; Wash it, then clay it, then rinse well & dry, then wax. Done. By hand is fine, the shop almost surely machine buffed /polished it (standard after a paint job).

Cool beans, enjoy the new paint job.
Old 12-08-04, 05:30 PM
OlschoolGs
Driver

i know they have polished it, when i saw the car after it wash polished and ready it was flawless. i just wanted to know if i should clay it and if it was safe for new paint. any other tips on dealing with new paint?
Old 12-08-04, 09:07 PM
Guitarman

If you're uncertain whether or not to clay it, put a plastic sandwich bag over your fingers and run it across the paint .This amplifies any contaminants and helps you feel them better. If you can't feel any, and only smoothness, then you can skip clay. I was only *assuming* you'd need it since paint shops are notorious overspray environments, and that there'd probably be some, but...maybe not if they kept it far enough away.

Clay is fine for newly cured paint either way. Some wax or sealant and you're done.