Automotive Care & Detailing Discussions on washing, waxing, polishing, detailing, cleaning and maintaining the beauty of your Lexus.

Tips and tricks of keeping your GS like new!

Search this Thread

Old 12-22-04, 08:54 AM
Threxx
Lexus Champion

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Default Tips and tricks of keeping your GS like new!

Share yours if you have any not so well known tricks to keeping your GS like new. I'm talking about just the little things here and there.

-Personally I use 303 Aerospace protectant on ALL of my weather seals every 6 months or so. You can literally hear a drop in wind noise after treatment, plus it will pretty much keep your seals and stripping looking good and performing like new for the life of the car. Make sure you're getting ALL of the seals though... there aresome that are not very visible or that you wouldn't ever think of beside the obvious ones around the doors and door frames. There are seals around your headlights, engine bay, windshield, back window, roof, somewhat hidden seals that your windows roll up into, seals around your mirrors, etc, etc.
http://froogle.google.com/froogle?q=...Search+Froogle

It also works great on windshield wipers. Ever since I started using 303 on my wipers (before I even bought my GS 2 years ago) I've not yet had to replace a single set of blades nor have I even noticed a deterioration in a set of blade's performance.

Realistically you can use any sort of rubber/plastic treater, but 303 is actually absorbed into the rubber and will restore important resistant properties of it including UV resistance and elasticity, rather than most other products which just sit on top of the rubber for a limited period of time until they wash off.

So anyhow... any tricks you use? This can be detailing products, maintenance tricks, tune-up tricks, tips with keeping the interior rattle-free, or whatever.

Last edited by Threxx; 12-22-04 at 08:58 AM.
Old 12-22-04, 09:22 AM
whytry
Advanced

Received 10 Likes on 10 Posts

Where can you get that stuff from?
Old 12-22-04, 09:25 AM
DaveGS4
Forum Administrator

Received 2,294 Likes on 1,399 Posts

Originally Posted by whytry
Lol, did you click on the froogle link in his post?
Old 12-22-04, 09:27 AM
Guitarman

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Dave beat me to it... Also available at places such as; http://www.properautocare.com/303-16.html

OR, at a local boating supply store / marina.

Last edited by Guitarman; 12-22-04 at 09:29 AM.
Old 12-22-04, 09:41 AM
whytry
Advanced

DOAH!!!!! Sorry... got a little excited...
Old 12-23-04, 04:10 AM
Hameed
EV ftw!!!

Received 314 Likes on 192 Posts

Thanks for sharing Threxx!!!

I just ordered the 32 oz. bottle!

Now that my car is in storage for the winter, it is even more important for me to use this type of stuff on it!

I don't have any tips to share other than wash your car at least once a week and keep it maintained as per the manufacturers maintenance schedule!

I use the Zaino products for the paint (every two weeks) and Leatherique products (once every two months) for the leather interior. Both are excellent products and keep your car's paint and leather looking its best!

Last edited by Hameed; 12-23-04 at 04:14 AM.
Old 12-23-04, 07:51 AM
jtanoyo1
Lexus Champion

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

LOL, you can do what I do and drive it only around 2000 miles a year. That's definitely gonna keep it nice and clean and looking new always.
Old 12-23-04, 08:43 AM
Threxx
Lexus Champion

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

303 can also be used just as effectively on interior plastics and tires. It doesn't cause any of the greasy shine or build up that most other interior dressings cause. Plus if you get any overspray on your paint or glass it comes off very easily.

303 on tires is especially effective if your car is stored away for the winter or doesn't get driven much. It prevents dry rot that occurs when tires are not used and just sit for long periods of time (tires, when used, secrete a built-in protectant that helps to prevent dry rot... but not when they're just sitting there for months.)

Originally Posted by Hameed
Thanks for sharing Threxx!!!

I just ordered the 32 oz. bottle!

Now that my car is in storage for the winter, it is even more important for me to use this type of stuff on it!

I don't have any tips to share other than wash your car at least once a week and keep it maintained as per the manufacturers maintenance schedule!

I use the Zaino products for the paint (every two weeks) and Leatherique products (once every two months) for the leather interior. Both are excellent products and keep your car's paint and leather looking its best!

I've been using Zaino for my paint for around 6 years now, but only once every 3 months or so (Z2+ZFX... used to be Z1 then Z2). I've been using leatherique for around a year and a half now and really like the results. It's too time consuming to do more than once or twice a year, though. I just use Zaino conditioner in between leatherique applications. Remember... no leather conditioner will be absorbed if it's not at least 65 degrees inside your car.... so don't try to condition in the winter unless you keep your car in a warm garage or don't mind sticking a space heater in your car for a few hours while the conditioner is absorbed.

Last edited by Threxx; 12-23-04 at 08:45 AM.
Old 04-22-06, 09:26 AM
cliffud
Former Vendor

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Hameed - it's been a year since you bought your bottle of 303. What's the verdict?

(bumped to get the word out to other CL members)
Old 04-22-06, 09:29 AM
DASHOCKER
Lexus Fanatic

I've been using 303 for years. Excellent for the dash board. Leaves a satin finish with no glare. I order mine through JC Whitney. Cost $$ over other products but is well worth it
Old 04-22-06, 09:47 AM
GSteg
Rookie

Received 79 Likes on 61 Posts

Finish Kare quick detailing spray. By far the best spray I have ever used. It has anti-static formula to help repel dust. Dont get confused because it's not going to make your car dust-free but it helps. I use the california duster so that my car stays away from dust as much as possible. A must for black cars. I think I'm gonna buy myself a gallon jug because I like it that much.

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v2...0099bright.jpg
http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v2...0098bright.jpg

Last edited by GSteg; 04-22-06 at 09:51 AM.
Old 04-22-06, 01:15 PM
V8_Aristo
Bippu

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Shouldn't this be under the care and detail section? I would think a product like this will be appreciated by all car owners.
Old 04-23-06, 06:41 AM
Tammy
Lexus Champion

Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts

303 Aerospace Protectant is available at many "Ace" hardware stores nationwide... In the little section where they stock the automotive supplies.