Automotive Care & Detailing Discussions on washing, waxing, polishing, detailing, cleaning and maintaining the beauty of your Lexus.

New RX and a new 3M clear bra!!!

Search this Thread

Old 12-27-04, 09:16 AM
Endless_W
Driver School Candidate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default New RX and a new 3M clear bra!!!

Last week we finally picked up an RX after months of looking at a wide variety of vehicles. We love it! Another stealth silver vehicle for us. The one thing we were sure we wanted to do right away was a 3M clear bra. I have one on my Z and it has saved me so many times I have lost count. For the Z I wound up getting it off a store on eBay. I did the install myself - with some help from friends. It was quite a challenge, but in the end it looks good and I saved a load of cash. It took a long tedious stressful time to install though, even with help. I was going to try my hand on the RX but as we picked it up a few days before xmas time was against us. Plus we had a rare snow store (2" is a storm) here in Dallas. Time to find somebody ASAP.

I did some quick research and made some calls. In the end I had Modern Armor do the install. Lots of good info on their site BTW. Greg did a fantastic job! They have the RX on sale through a local sports car club. We paid $600 (normally $700) for the hood and grill surround (one single piece about two feet from top to bottom), a few triangles on the fenders, the fronts of the mirrors, and the bumper. We had them put headlight /fog light covers on too for an additional $75. Add in tax and there you go. BTW when I was talking with the installer he said most vehicles go for between 750-950, with some high end ones going for twice that with extra coverage.

The installer came out to the house and worked on it for several hours - a lot less time than it would have taken me that is for sure! It was great, we wrapped gifts and did chores while the RX got taken care of! It was parked since we picked it up because we didn't want to risk getting a chip before we were able to get the bra installed, so it is great to be able to take it out for a spin now, and not have to worry so much about the 40,000 tons of sand they dumped all over the highway. I think it was a bargain! Money well spent if you ask me.

Anyway, if you are on the fence about getting a clear bra, jump! It is a wonderful thing! It is possible to do it yourself, but you are probably better off with somebody who specializes in it if you are looking for the best possible result.

Oh, and I have no idea why it says Alabama...I double checked what I could on my control panel thingy and can't get it to say Texas... I must be too tired from a monster weekend!!!
Old 12-27-04, 01:01 PM
TLW
Lexus Fanatic

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

you sounds very happy

any pics ??
Old 12-27-04, 04:31 PM
Endless_W
Driver School Candidate

Yep, pretty Jazzed with the new purchases!
I tried taking some pictures, but all you see is a silver RX... So I didn't take the time to get them off the camera and figure out a place to host them... Sorry
Old 01-08-05, 09:16 PM
JasonC
Pole Position

Originally Posted by Endless_W
Yep, pretty Jazzed with the new purchases!
I tried taking some pictures, but all you see is a silver RX... So I didn't take the time to get them off the camera and figure out a place to host them... Sorry
It'll still be nice to see pics of your new ride even if the clear bra doesn't show.
Old 01-08-05, 09:18 PM
JasonC
Pole Position

Hey T.L.W.....that is one nice pic of my favorite actress..