Automotive Care & Detailing Discussions on washing, waxing, polishing, detailing, cleaning and maintaining the beauty of your Lexus.

bad steering wheel leather,cut off??

Search this Thread

Old 01-01-05, 02:21 PM
dwebb99
Lexus Test Driver

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default bad steering wheel leather,cut off??

My steering wheel leather is getting fairly bad on my 92 SC300(green spruce interior). I know Wheelskins sells a leather wheel cover. My question, has anyone cut the old leather off and how does the wheel look afterwords. I know on the Mr2 forum the steering wheels on the Mr2 are just standard black plastic wheels once the leather is off. They look like a brand new plastic wheel once the leather is off. Anyone done this to a Lexus wheel and if so, how does it look?
Old 01-01-05, 10:54 PM
japSW20
Driver School Candidate

Originally Posted by dwebb99
My steering wheel leather is getting fairly bad on my 92 SC300(green spruce interior). I know Wheelskins sells a leather wheel cover. My question, has anyone cut the old leather off and how does the wheel look afterwords. I know on the Mr2 forum the steering wheels on the Mr2 are just standard black plastic wheels once the leather is off. They look like a brand new plastic wheel once the leather is off. Anyone done this to a Lexus wheel and if so, how does it look?
humm ive had 2 mr2's and none of them ever had leather wheels,I doubt it will look good,But my question is,Is there anyway of buying the entire leather so we could take off the factory leather and stitch another one on?sorta of like the wheelskins
Old 01-05-05, 10:05 AM
Guitarman

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

I've never heard of anyone stitching on a factory replacement steering wheel leather cover themselves before, although that dosen't mean it can't be done. I would seek a professional upholstery shop to do it personally - special needles and skills are needed to do it so it looks *correct*.

Not every shop will reupholster steering wheels, but many do. Find one and discuss the options/choices and costs.

You can buy a "decent" quality aftermarket leather cover ( ~$20) that you stitch on yourself, from Pep Boys etc.. Doesn't look oem, but doesn't look "bad" either. I did one (black on a black steering wheel ) on my wife's Miata a few years ago, and it still looks good.
Old 04-23-05, 02:31 PM
CompuMan
Pole Position

Talking Steering Wheel 'Skin'

I just put a steering wheel 'skin' on my 1992 SC400 (burgandy) I chose the european style with two colors. Burgandy top & bottom & Oak left and right. My stock steering wheel was starting to degrade badly. (The previous owner did not seem to care about that). Any way, it was tedious putting it on, but I like the result. Burgandy to match my car exterior color and oak to match the accents inside.

Here is a pic:
Attached Thumbnails bad steering wheel leather,cut off??-wheelskin2.jpg